The Student Room Group

Did my GCSES 5 years ago, forgot most , want to do a levels now

I did my gcses 5 years ago when i was 16 as normal im 20 now, and i got the 5'a-c's that colleges are asking for,after doing my gcses i got really ill for 2 years and was in hospital, then recovery took 2 years , now i want to do A LEVELS in a local college, they asked for 5 a to c's and i have that so i can get it.

But because its been so long since i did my gcses i have forgotten most of what i learn t like maths science etc as it was so long ago,

i am curious if a levels will be a new chapter or will you have to have remembered what you learnt from gcses? or will it be a new beginning?

thanks guys
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I understadn that people usually go straight to 6t form from year 11 so they should remember most of what they studied, so it shouldnt be as hard, but i had 5 years off, does this matter or is a levels a new chapter ?
Reply 2
depends on the A Level you're doing. I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics. the maths knowledge you need for a level from gcse is minimal and can be relearnt quickly. physics is not the same though. if you go over the gcse stuff this summer, you could definitely do a levels.
Reply 3
I want to go to uni so i need 3 a levels , i was thinking of doing maths physics and chemistry , i have no memory of any of these subjects as it was 5 years ago in yr 11,i know the basic maths but physics and chem i have no idea, so are alevels a new start of do you have to have remembered what yoi learnt in gcse's kinda like gcses beong level 1 and a level level 2,
Reply 4
Some of what you learnt in GCSE's is relevant but not all, just go over the GCSE stuff this summer I'm sure you'll be able to find resources online
Reply 5
Does anyone know any websites where i can learn everything i forgot from gcses ?
Also does anyone know what i need to remember the most when doing a levels , either maths physics biology chemisty?
Reply 6
Original post by josephjunior
Does anyone know any websites where i can learn everything i forgot from gcses ?
Also does anyone know what i need to remember the most when doing a levels , either maths physics biology chemisty?

I think International GCSEs (aka IGCSEs) are better for you to revise, rather than the GCSEs you done. Why? They are practically the same syllabus; but IGCSEs are designed to get straight to the point without aimless introductory, cultural and society roles, and all that hassle.. . Furthermore, IGCSEs have so much less final papers to sit per subject (GCSE biology has 6 papers, IGCSE has 2 and they're the same thing).

To put in a nutshell, revise 'EDEXCEL International GCSEs' using online guides. Also, take a look on past papers and marking schemes. They are all online.

Resources websites:

Edexcel's official website.
Exams' solutions MATHS website.
Past papers website.

I wish I helped!

Quick Reply

Latest