The Student Room Group

King's College or Edinburgh for Politics/IR?

Hello,

Just wondering if I could get some (educated :tongue:) input on this dilemma I'm having?

I hold an offer for an MA International Relations course at King's and MSc International Relations at the University of Edinburgh. I've been back and forth a thousand times in my head, I have no idea which course to choose.

I like the course better at Edinburgh but I know that the War Studies department at King's is amazing. I'm also an international student and might move abroad after I finish studying and I feel like King's is more well-known internationally... I currently live in London and attended King's for my undergraduate so King's is an all-around easier choice for me. It also works out cheaper (even if you take the cost of living into account).
BUT I really love Edinburgh, I wanted to move somewhere new for my Masters and the course, as I mentioned, looks great.

Basically, I'm not sure it's worth all the fuss to move up to Edinburgh just because I like the course slightly better there?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
What aspect of IR do you like, War and Securities studies? Then KCL
I wonder how can KCL be cheaper than Edin?

I like Edin course content and it has a strong Politics department. Sometimes it is good to leave your comfort zone (London bubble) and Edin may offer a new learning environment.

In various international rankings, Edin performs well. Most people in EU, Asia and even US have heard of it.
Reply 2
Original post by Tcannon
What aspect of IR do you like, War and Securities studies? Then KCL
I wonder how can KCL be cheaper than Edin?

I like Edin course content and it has a strong Politics department. Sometimes it is good to leave your comfort zone (London bubble) and Edin may offer a new learning environment.

In various international rankings, Edin performs well. Most people in EU, Asia and even US have heard of it.

No, not the Security aspect, more human rights, history, economics part of the course, which is exactly what the course in Edinburgh is all about..

In terms of price, the tuition fee in Edinburgh is (rather surprisingly) £5000 more than King's and I'd only save about £3000 on accommodation if I move. There are also no direct flights to Edinburgh from my hometown so getting home and back for the holidays might be pricy.

You are right though, it's probably good to try something new, so I should probs go for Edinburgh. I'm just a bit scared :redface:
Original post by ally-x
Hello,

Just wondering if I could get some (educated :tongue:) input on this dilemma I'm having?

I hold an offer for an MA International Relations course at King's and MSc International Relations at the University of Edinburgh. I've been back and forth a thousand times in my head, I have no idea which course to choose.

I like the course better at Edinburgh but I know that the War Studies department at King's is amazing. I'm also an international student and might move abroad after I finish studying and I feel like King's is more well-known internationally... I currently live in London and attended King's for my undergraduate so King's is an all-around easier choice for me. It also works out cheaper (even if you take the cost of living into account).
BUT I really love Edinburgh, I wanted to move somewhere new for my Masters and the course, as I mentioned, looks great.

Basically, I'm not sure it's worth all the fuss to move up to Edinburgh just because I like the course slightly better there?

I know a guy (friend of a friend) who did the IR program in KCL's War Studies department and loved it. There are apparently a decent number of current-and-ex military folks there (both instructors and people on the course), which he said was awesome for perspective's sake, and lots of opportunities for outside-of-KCL collaboration. He works in international development now, fwiw.
Reply 4
Original post by merqoperatic
I know a guy (friend of a friend) who did the IR program in KCL's War Studies department and loved it. There are apparently a decent number of current-and-ex military folks there (both instructors and people on the course), which he said was awesome for perspective's sake, and lots of opportunities for outside-of-KCL collaboration. He works in international development now, fwiw.

Hmm that makes me think the course at King's might not be best for me then. I think intelligence/security is interesting, but if I had to choose, I'd go for economics/human rights/history courses of which there is more choice at Edinburgh.

Thanks for your input, I know feel much more confident choosing Edinburgh!
Reply 5
Thanks for explaining tuition diff btw KCL and Edin. I wrongly assumed that London college would automatically charge higher tuition. Edin is the exception. One thing supporting KCL is the alumni discount when you continue with KCL MA.

IR is not IR as you know. It has a vast range of disciplines and you want to find the perfect 'fit'. It is like buying a pair of shoes, you need to look beyond the brand. There is this IR model using a 2x2 template to explain the positioning of IR department.

I am familiar with Econ and DEV, I can say objectively that in these areas, KCL is not well positioned compared to peer programmes.

KCL is best known only for War & Sec Studies. For the other IR areas such as IPE, Foreign Policy, Governance, Institutional System Design, Public Policy or critical system theory, you would think of other IR programmes. I also heard rumours that KCL will have another round of cuts in humanities department?

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending