The Student Room Group

Immunology/Genetics?

Hello.
First things first, YEAHHHH, FIRST POST AND THREAD ON STUDENTROOM.
Alright, now guys, I kind of need help if you may.
Optometry is my first choice, but I've been thinking of Genetics or Immunology as a back-up plan, just in case.
What are the job prospects and salaries for both degrees?
Thanks in advance.
I really don't have an idea about salaries but i do know that geneticists are able to work in a hospital(medical genetics departments) or diagnostic centers.
Original post by geneticist
I really don't have an idea about salaries but i do know that geneticists are able to work in a hospital(medical genetics departments) or diagnostic centers.

Thank you, I'm panicking a little, as I hear there aren't many jobs in these pathways...
There are many more jobs in genetics than there are in optometry - how about the genetics of sight as well? That Adam Rutherford guy on the BBC shows did his PhD in the genetics of some eye disorder.

Gene therapy in medicine, cosmetics, sports science, academia - all very wide-reaching fields.

Immunology has less scope, I imagine.
Original post by BestProfileName
There are many more jobs in genetics than there are in optometry - how about the genetics of sight as well? That Adam Rutherford guy on the BBC shows did his PhD in the genetics of some eye disorder.

Gene therapy in medicine, cosmetics, sports science, academia - all very wide-reaching fields.

Immunology has less scope, I imagine.

Thank you, really appreciate it.
Thing about Optometry is that you're guaranteed a job pretty much, employment rate 6 months after Uni is 99%. And because of family issues, I need a job where I can be earning a decent amount for myself straight after graduation, so Optometry is a good option for me (I enjoy it as well, don't get me wrong). Was just wondering if Genetics, and to a lesser extent Immunology, could do the same for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending