The Student Room Group

Should having beautiful teeth be a requirement for dental school?

After all who wants a dentist who doesn't have some boss teeth 10/10 would brush again?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, and while we're at it let's send all those doctors in wheelchairs packing.
Original post by bertstare
After all who wants a dentist who doesn't have some boss teeth 10/10 would brush again?

I applied with orthodontic appliances on my teeth and got in with an offer of only Two A's.
I hope that answers your question.
Reply 3
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
I applied with orthodontic appliances on my teeth and got in with an offer of only Two A's.
I hope that answers your question.

fight me 1v1
No. There are many medical professionals who smoke too, should they be required to leave? There are probably psychiatrists with mental health issues too. Again, is that a problem?
Lmao at the question
Thats like saying you only want a healthy doctor who has a fit body to act as the beacon for health in the community LOL
Yep... and having a beautiful house should be a requirement for someone studying architecture. :rolleyes:
To be fair you do somewhat judge people, if a dentist has rank teeth (not on about stuff that cannot be helped but dirty due to not brushing etc) you might not be quite as confident in their dentistry wizardry and advice. There was an overweight fitness instructor at my old gym, nothing wrong with that in theory- but during spinning she had to stop for a break several times for a breather. So it wasn't her appearance that made her a bit rubbish but she wasn't well suited to the job; much like someone who can't be arsed to brush their teeth and is supposed to advise people on looking after theirs. Doesn't look great but also doesn't fill you with confidence. As for should they be whitened and perfectly straight? No.
Reply 9
Original post by goldtippedarrows
Thats like saying you only want a healthy doctor who has a fit body to act as the beacon for health in the community LOL

It's an interesting point tbh. Are fat doctors immoral?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No - I'd prefer dentistry schools selected on the basis of competence rather than appearance. If individual people don't want a dentist without nice teeth then they can always go somewhere else - I think a market solution is better in this scenario.
Original post by ElChapo
It's an interesting point tbh. Are fat doctors immoral?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not at all ! Some of the best doctors are fat :biggrin: I just wanted to illustrate that teeth shouldn't determine someones dentistry prowess and skill!
so would you not see an optician who wore glasses? because perfect eyesight should be a requirement for opticians?
(edited 9 years ago)
Not at all ! Some of the best doctors are fat :biggrin: I just wanted to illustrate that teeth shouldn't determine someones dentistry prowess and skill!

Which doctors are these?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by happysmile
so would you not see an optician who wore glasses? because perfect eyesight should be a requirement for opticians?

You can look after teeth in a way you can't look after your eyes

Posted from TSR Mobile

While that's true. I think for many people, it would be hard to take a dentist seriously if he is giving advice on how to take care of your teeth, whilist his teeth are poorly maintained.
Exactly, its not about having 'perfect' teeth, just well looked after ones. Not all these fancy treatments either, just good old brushing and maintaining dental hygiene. I think that is important in a dentist.
Original post by Ajibola
While that's true. I think for many people, it would be hard to take a dentist seriously if he is giving advice on how to take care of your teeth, whilist his teeth are poorly maintained.

But shouldn't EVERYONE maintain their teeth and oral hygiene ? Its a basic expectation we have of everyone - not just dentists! I don't think anyone would be taken seriously with bad teeth.
But in terms of dentists - i don't think thy should feel pressures to say have a latest dental treatment such as laser whitening if say they do meet the basic requirement of oral hygiene of they dont want it.
Original post by Secretnerd123
Lmao at the question

LMAOO X2

The question is so wrong yet I could understand why someone would ask that!
Original post by Bigyindz
LMAOO X2

The question is so wrong yet I could understand why someone would ask that!

Haha ikr :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest