The Student Room Group

USA + Veterinary Medicine

Okay guys, I've got a dilemma that I would really appreciate someone to sort out for me. Basically I'm applying for 4 Veterinary Medicine courses and only one is AVMA accredited, Glasgow. America is my dream place to be and work. I would really love to go to Liverpool Uni but then would have to go through the long and expensive process of joining the AVMA (which, by the way, is my last option and will be done if necessary). To add to my problems, I also can apply for another course, non medical, and I have no idea which one. So back to my dilemma, as the USA colleges only provide students the opportunity to study veterinary medicine as a post-grad course - is there any way I can also apply and study veterinary medicine there? I have been researching excessively but can only find requirements to study veterinary medicine in America if you have things such as a good GPA and unusual undergraduate courses with very specific details. Is there any possible way in hell, I could study say Zoology or Biology here in the UK, then study veterinary medicine in the states. I know, its very unusual - and be honest, if there is no hope for me - just tell me outright. Thanks!
Reply 1
Yes, I definitely believe it can be done. Basically it is what I did just in reverse-I did my undergrad degree in Canada then came to Edinburgh for my vet degree. However, yes it is very competitive. I would think any undergrad course that would be acceptable as a pre-graduate-entry course here, eg biology, animal science, etc. would be acceptable there *in general*. However, when I looked at the States several years ago many schools did require courses that may not be offered in a standard say biology degree, such as public speaking. Most schools publish this information online, and/or in prospectuses, and/or you can contact admissions.

RVC, Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Dublin are all accredited. Is there a particular reason you are only applying to Glasgow? Also I think someone once said Nottingham was looking at getting their AVMA accreditation on here, but I don't know what came of that.

What about Canadian schools? You would still be AVMA accredited.

Even if you attend an AVMA-accredited school, you still need to take the NAVLE (which is expensive), you just don't need to go through the Clinical Proficiency Exam first (which I agree, is expensive a pain and to be avoided if possible. I definitely wanted an accredited school so I could avoid this!). You also will likely still need to take a State/Provincial licensing exam for whatever state/province you end up practicing in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending