The Student Room Group

Is 33 too old to go to Uni / become a teacher

Hi guys, I am thinking of starting an access course in September with the intention of going to university next year. My goal is to become a PE teacher or a Sports/Fitness teacher in a higher education college.

I am 27 now, by the time I done the above I would be 32/33, I am just wondering if anyone has any success stories of similar situations/ages.

Has anyone done an access course and gone to university at this age, and been able to live on the student loans and/or a part time job?

Also does anyone know if I can do an English GCSE alongside an access course? Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_McAvoy

My PE teacher, played in rugby league and started teaching in my high school around 3/4 years ago

I don't know what he did in terms of course and stuff but I am sure there will be a college willing to accept you, or maybe the open university?
Reply 2
Original post by enihcam
Hi guys, I am thinking of starting an access course in September with the intention of going to university next year. My goal is to become a PE teacher or a Sports/Fitness teacher in a higher education college.

I am 27 now, by the time I done the above I would be 32/33, I am just wondering if anyone has any success stories of similar situations/ages.

Has anyone done an access course and gone to university at this age, and been able to live on the student loans and/or a part time job?

Also does anyone know if I can do an English GCSE alongside an access course? Thanks in advance.

My mother in law became a teacher in her 40's so no its not impossible atall :smile: go for it and good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by enihcam

I just finished access and am going to university in September (6 weeks, EEEK!). I was 26 when I started access and I am 27 now. So similar age to you :smile:
My situation is very simple, I live away from my parents as a lodger and I do not have any children to support.

I found it was a big decision to make, as I stepped down from a full time managment role into a part time general assistant role in order to do the course. It was scary but I am so glad I did it.

You should get an interview at your local college to get more infomation about the access course, as they seem to differ from college to college.

I only had to go into college for two full days a week, which worked really well for me. I then spent a further two full days doing home study and homework, plus some evenings when the work load was higher.

I personally found I was able to work upto 25 hours a week without a problem, mostly over the weekend. I never missed a deadline and I achieved good results.

University wise, student loans and bursuries should cover me for food and rent, plus I am planning to work part time for a little extra pocket money.

In my opinion budgeting to do access for a year was the hardest part.
University funding is covered, thousands of people do it every year so its tried and tested :smile:

Hope that helps (most likely not :tongue: )
Good luck!
Reply 4
Definitely not too old! I'm 34 and starting an access course in September and hoping to go to uni in 2015 to do Primary Education with QTS. I am a bit nervous about being one of the oldest there, but mostly excited!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Of course not! It's never too late to take a new career path if it's what you want to do!

Looking at the student finance myself as a mature student I was amazed at the amount I would receive from loans, grants and bursaries based on me living alone and therefore qualifying as a low income household! I didn't think it would be possible to return to uni anytime soon but by working 15 hours a week I'd actually have more money than I currently do working full time!

Good luck!
Reply 6
Can't thank you all enough for the replies, you have put my mind at ease, I guess I just needed reassurance that it can be done! I was worried about the money situation, more so for the access year, but hopefully with a weekend job I will be able to get by until university.

I just have to remind myself that whether I do or do not do it, the time will pass anyway, and I don't want to look back when I am 33 and working in a factory thinking 'what if'. Thanks again and good luck to you all in the future :smile:
I am 32 and starting uni in September for the first time. It is never to late to learn, as far as teaching goes, you have plenty of years left. Life is too short for what if's?
Hi there, I have just completed an access course at the age of 33. During the access course I received no funding which was a struggle so I am expecting my time at the university of Exeter to be less of a struggle as I will receive grants and loans. I intend to do a PGCE after my degree is completed and will hopefully be teaching history or politics to adults when I am 37/38. I am not phased in the slightest by the age difference and just intend to approach it with a positive outlook. I honestly believe being older and having life experience puts people at an advantage in the teaching profession. So go for it and good luck to you.
Think of it this way instead... If you don't do it, you will spend the next 30 years wishing you had done it. Loosing a few years now is nothing compared to the rest of your life!
Original post by enihcam

Hope not, because that is my age and exactly what I'm doing, except the teaching bit :smile:
Reply 11
Hi, I am going back to college in the hopes of becoming a History teacher and I'm 27 as well so hopefully not! In regards to being able to study for a GCSE in English alongside your access course it's best to check with your course provider. The college I am attending offer both Maths and English GCSE's classes alongside the course, but you have to sit a test to make sure you are at a level suitable for the course (I am nervously awaiting my Maths result)
Reply 12
Never too late! I'm 35 with two young girls and start uni in September. By the time I'm ready to work I'll be 38!! But, as already been said, that gives me 30 years (hopefully!!!) of my chosen career :-)
I'm going to be 31 come September. It's definitely never too old. I recently attended a PGCE welcome day for all the new students about to start in September and I was blown away by how diverse the cohort is. I'm certainly not the youngest. Similarly when I attended a School Direct interview, all the other applicants were mid to late 30's :smile:
Reply 14
I am starting uni this September at the age of 46. You are never too old to learn, just wish I had done it 10/20 years ago but it wasn't possible then. If I can change my life at my age you won't have a problem either & in a few years time, when we all graduate, we'll be glad we made the decisions we are making now :smile:
I know how you feel. I am 26 and was worried about being older than the average student but have just finished my access course and loved it! I thought I was a little to old to go to university but I had the great support of teachers and my classmates. Everyone is so supportive of each other and it was hard work but was well worth it! I will be doing a ba education course at the University of Birmingham for three years then I will have to do a pgce or teach first course so I will be in my 30s when I finish but believe me there will be many others who are older but having that life experience is a real blessing and you can bring your unique qualities to your profession. Good luck with your future you won't regret it and I'm sure your family will be proud and you will feel so glad you did it rather than looking back in 20 years and wishing you did it when you were younger.
Reply 16
I had a teacher in college who was in his 40s when he started. I didn't know how long he had been teaching at first but I immediately respected him more then the younger teachers, especially hearing about all his life experiences outside of the teaching proffesional. Proper qaulity.
Reply 17
hi guys sometimes life is not easy or simple, i am in my 30's and currently 40% nervous 60% excited. Going from full time work to uni is a massive step but it's 1 i will never regret, thinking about money where to live to how to move in and i've a lot off stuff going into storage
Original post by enihcam

Original post by SarahR74
Definitely not too old! I'm 34 and starting an access course in September and hoping to go to uni in 2015 to do Primary Education with QTS. I am a bit nervous about being one of the oldest there, but mostly excited!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by MrEFeynman
I am 32 and starting uni in September for the first time. It is never to late to learn, as far as teaching goes, you have plenty of years left. Life is too short for what if's?

Live your life and forget your age. - Norman Vincent Peale
Reply 19
I am in the same boat, I start college in September doing a HNC. I plan to go to university in 2016 when I'll be 31! I wont graduate until I'll be 34! I'm looking forward to it still and will leave my full time job to do so.

Quick Reply