The Student Room Group

I'm worried people will be jealous of me - please help?

This is really hard for me to post and I don't want to come across as bragging but here goes. I live with just my mum and she has spoiled me my whole life - I have a big convertible car, lots of expensive things and money given to me whenever I ask. I went to a private school so I think people were more used to it, but even so I was teased a lot and have had some quite mean comments made to me before. I'm concerned it might be worse at uni as there will be people there from all sorts of backgrounds and I know a lot of students will be struggling to buy food and pay their bills, whilst my parents have said they will cover the cost of everything. They have also each given me a credit card and said I can buy myself whatever I want. I genuinely do not think I am a better person than anyone else and would never rub it in anyone's face but I just want to have a good time and make lots of new friends. I've never been to uni before and I'm not sure what it will be like. Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm especially not sure if I should take my car in case people are funny about it. My mum also just bought me an £895 Mulberry bag to take with me. Is this a good idea or should I ask for something cheaper?

Scroll to see replies

What's the problem?
I don't want people to get jealous and start ignoring me or whatever without giving me a chance. That has happened to me a lot before :/
Reply 3
Ask your parents to let you be a bit more financially independent?
As long as you don't bang on about it and at like an arrogant show off you'll be fine.
Original post by Sataris
Ask your parents to let you be a bit more financially independent?

As in get a student loan? Or just not take the credit cards?
Reply 6
Original post by Kayleighw27
This is really hard for me to post and I don't want to come across as bragging but here goes. I live with just my mum and she has spoiled me my whole life - I have a big convertible car, lots of expensive things and money given to me whenever I ask. I went to a private school so I think people were more used to it, but even so I was teased a lot and have had some quite mean comments made to me before. I'm concerned it might be worse at uni as there will be people there from all sorts of backgrounds and I know a lot of students will be struggling to buy food and pay their bills, whilst my parents have said they will cover the cost of everything. They have also each given me a credit card and said I can buy myself whatever I want. I genuinely do not think I am a better person than anyone else and would never rub it in anyone's face but I just want to have a good time and make lots of new friends. I've never been to uni before and I'm not sure what it will be like. Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm especially not sure if I should take my car in case people are funny about it. My mum also just bought me an £895 Mulberry bag to take with me. Is this a good idea or should I ask for something cheaper?

Please don't do this
Reply 7
People won't give a **** provided you don't brag about it.
I'd be more inclined to want to speak to you knowing you're rich as ****, rich people often do better in life, that is nothing new. I try to surround myself with the most advantageous friends, that way, as a group we can achieve greater goals.

I understand that a lot of people wont share my mindset, if that's the case, just tone it down a little, it's easy to be rich and show it off..... Just downplay it or don't flaunt it, pretty simple.
Nobody called Kayleigh goes to private schools. :rolleyes:
:frown: :frown: life is so hard I will be your friend

Lol jk one of my closest friends from dance club is very wealthy but is humble about it so you would never know. Dont feel embarrassed that you come from a better off family they presumably worked hard so why shouldnt you be proud. As long as you are not snobbish it should not be a problem. To mimic an above post I also think it is good to surround myself with people from better backgrounds because we can learn from each other.
Reply 11
Just get over yourself? People don't give a hoot.
Just don't wave it in people's faces. Pretend the bag is a fake from Magaluf or something.
Reply 13
Original post by Kayleighw27

:giggle: But of course this is true.
Maybe you could try and get a job and pay for your own things more? It would might good to work for your own money so you get used to it :smile:
Reply 15
I say go for it. There are bound to be bigger spenders, so why not get in the competition early? In some circles, you might be the poor one.
Reply 16
Original post by chocomalbom
Nobody called Kayleigh goes to private schools. :rolleyes:

this
Reply 17
Just live like everyone else and try to fit in instead of flashing your wealth everywhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
Be sensitive about money that your peers may not have and you should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd say hold back for a while then you can start spending a bit more without people judging you, even then, limit your luxuries and try to keep those spending increases to things like nicer food, drink, paying for everyone's taxi fare, etc. And probably avoid driving the convertible :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending