The Student Room Group

RAF medical BMI test

Hi, I've seen older posts about this on here but couldn't find anything more recent than 2011, was wondering (and hoping) if anything had changed. Basically I've passed my aptitude test and interview and now I'm onto the medical (set for the 8th of August).
I have a BMI score of around 29-30, as I'm about 6'2 and 103kg, however I'm am in no way overweight (I have a very broad frame and am quite muscular). I've read that you need to be 28 or under to pass, will body shape or fitness be in any way taken into consideration by the doctor? Or is it straight up fail/pass? On the RAF site here http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/can-i-join/health-checks/ it states the male maximum with additional assessment being at 32, is this applicable to all applicants?
Seems a bit ridiculous that such an unreliable test is used for such an advanced armed forces recruitment process.
If anyone has more information they can pass on it would be great.
Original post by Njstephenson
Hi, I've seen older posts about this on here but couldn't find anything more recent than 2011, was wondering (and hoping) if anything had changed. Basically I've passed my aptitude test and interview and now I'm onto the medical (set for the 8th of August).
I have a BMI score of around 29-30, as I'm about 6'2 and 103kg, however I'm am in no way overweight (I have a very broad frame and am quite muscular). I've read that you need to be 28 or under to pass, will body shape or fitness be in any way taken into consideration by the doctor? Or is it straight up fail/pass? On the RAF site here http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/can-i-join/health-checks/ it states the male maximum with additional assessment being at 32, is this applicable to all applicants?
Seems a bit ridiculous that such an unreliable test is used for such an advanced armed forces recruitment process.

The Medical is fairly unreliable as a whole, and a lot of people find that out the hard way.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. I knew a lad who was slightly over the bmi by 1 I think it was, and he was told to go back in 6 months once he'd lost some weight, even though you wouldn't have viewed him as overweight at all.
6 months? Jesus that's ridiculous. Damn, guess it's strict diet and long distance running for the next 10 days.
Also thankyou for the reply
Reply 3
I had the medical yesterday. They failed me for high blood pressure (somewhat related to the fact I was sitting in my pants in front of the doctor who held my career dreams on a lifeline). It's gonna set me back a month till I can get a 24hr bp monitor done (and its gonna cost me money :frown: )

I'm 6"4 and thought I weighed 91/92kg (I've weighed myself a lot recently) which is on the border but by their scales I came out at 88kg. It was a bit weird.

I'd imagine they'd take a look at your physique and realize its muscle weight surely?
Might as well get your cut on just in case!
6 months? Jesus that's ridiculous. Damn, guess it's strict diet and long distance running for the next 10 days.
Also thankyou for the reply

Honestly mate, 90% of the medicals I've heard about turn out to be a shambles. I've heard about scales weighing about 5kg below actual weight also. Just go with it, the unreliability may end up going in your favour.

If you want to hear a positive medical story, then mine went off without a hitch. There was absolutely nothing they could find to double check or make me wait for. But if they can find even the smallest thing, they'll make you wait until they get conformation.
Reply 5
Mate, ditch the water weight in the morning and hope for the best, I think thats the only option!
Reply 6
I am at the other end of the scale my bmi Is about 18. Always been slim and lost bit of weight all the training I'm doing, not a pound of fat on me and super fit but would that affect me if I was a bit under?
Reply 7
I've no idea, capita health medicals have a reputation for being very inconsistent, and I don't know what is considered acceptable by their standards.

Eat some cake, hope for the best.
Thanks for the replies guys, will just do as much as I can and hope for the best! Good luck to you too Carl. Will post back here how it went.
They go by the NHS BMI regulations. The nurse/doctor woman actually calculated it on her phone as I stood there and showed me the result, so you can do the same here - http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

Again, the medical results can be inconsistent. Just hope for the best.

You are right, the rules are a bit loose, but they have that disclaimer (up to 32 in special circumstances) for your type of case exactly. Basically, if you don't fit in the cookie mould, they want to know why and see you, to check that it is actual muscle from the weight lifting and body building, rather than beer belly hanging down to your knees.
But do try to eat lean and do more cardio, can't hurt. Water advice isn't bad, but make sure you have some to spare, as the test includes urine sample.
Good luck!
Reply 11
Yeah good luck to you too, harder to put on weight, I could really do with putting on a few pounds but it is hard when I can't seem to put weight on and I need to keep fit as well. I am about 5ft 10 and about 9 stone 2
Reply 12
Not a ounce of fat though so if I am fit enough hopefully will be ok
Original post by Carl25
Yeah good luck to you too, harder to put on weight, I could really do with putting on a few pounds but it is hard when I can't seem to put weight on and I need to keep fit as well. I am about 5ft 10 and about 9 stone 2

Never thought I'd see someone lighter than me at around 9st 8lbs. Have you checked your bmi? I don't know for sure but your measurements sound very close to the lower limits.
Reply 14
Yeah it's right on the lower limit. Haven't been weighed in a while though. I was doing a lot of running this year for a half marathon, I have always been slim and found it hard to put even a pound on.

Any tips to help me gain a few pounds while still keeping fit would be appreciated

I work long 12 hour shifts days and nights where I am constantly on the go too and can't get into a routine of meals which dosent help
Original post by Carl25
Yeah it's right on the lower limit. Haven't been weighed in a while though. I was doing a lot of running this year for a half marathon, I have always been slim and found it hard to put even a pound on.

Any tips to help me gain a few pounds while still keeping fit would be appreciated

I work long 12 hour shifts days and nights where I am constantly on the go too and can't get into a routine of meals which dosent help

Not the best to give fitness and nutritional advice I'm afraid as I have the same problem of struggling to put on weight.

Your working schedule probably won't help though, but increasing daily calory intake will be beneficial.
Hi Mate,

I know your post was about 3 years ago.
I was wondering how did it go? I'm the same, I'm 6'2 and weight 103 kg.
I train since I was 17. I'm quite muscular also.

did you go through the medical ?
Original post by giantjohn
Hi Mate,

I know your post was about 3 years ago.
I was wondering how did it go? I'm the same, I'm 6'2 and weight 103 kg.
I train since I was 17. I'm quite muscular also.

did you go through the medical ?

How did yours go?

Did the doctor tell you to return at a later date to lose some weight or did they accept you on your current weight and if so under what circumstances?

Quick Reply

Latest