The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

What is it with the students at Nottingham?

Am I the only one who thinks Nottingham attracts lots of students who are bright rich kids that are more interested in getting drunk and messing around than actually taking studies seriously? Some of the students are definitely a strange breed, no idea why so many of these come to Nottingham. Is it like this at Durham, Bristol, UCL etc?

I think if you want to be studious and serious about your studies, whilst also enjoying clubbing and sports now and again, Nottingham might not be the answer.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mansun
Am I the only one who thinks Nottingham attracts lots of students who are bright rich kids that are more interested in getting drunk and messing around than actually taking studies seriously? Some of the students are definitely a strange breed, no idea why so many of these come to Nottingham. Is it like this at Durham, Bristol, UCL etc?

I think if you want to be studious and serious about your studies, whilst also enjoying clubbing and sports now and again, Nottingham might not be the answer.

What on earth are you on about? It's perfectly possible to balance studies with fun. We have over 70 sports clubs and over 300 student groups in total covering all interests. Not everyone gets smashed 3 times a week, but those who want to can be found in every university up and down the country.

Some people like to go drinking and clubbing, grand; it doesn't mean they're not trying to get a good degree.

The UK's top graduate employers recruit more from Nottingham than any other university, so we must be doing something right.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by DarkWhite
What on earth are you on about? It's perfectly possible to balance studies with fun. We have over 70 sports clubs and over 300 student groups in total covering all interests. Not everyone gets smashed 3 times a week, but those who want to can be found in every university up and down the country.

Some people like to go drinking and clubbing, grand; it doesn't mean they're not trying to get a good degree.

The UK's top graduate employers recruit more from Nottingham than any other university, so we must be doing something right.

First year in Halls at Notts was full of high energy loud mouth kids who get drunk 2-3 times a week minimum, knock on doors for fun late at night, play silly practical jokes, damage university property, say offensive things to other students, and show apathy to their studies. That is what I saw, and I lived in halls first and third year.

That's what I'm ''on about''.

I would find it hard to believe this laddish behaviour would go on at Durham, UCL, Bristol, Edinburgh etc. Can anyone advise otherwise?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mansun
First year in Halls at Notts was full of high energy loud mouth kids who get drunk 2-3 times a week minimum, knock on doors for fun late at night, play silly practical jokes, damage university property, say offensive things to other students, and show apathy to their studies. That is what I saw, and I lived in halls first and third year.

That was about 15 people out of the 260 in my hall - unfortunately they're the ones everyone notices!
Reply 4
Original post by Mansun

In fairness, that's a pretty accurate description of first year halls in all universities.
Reply 5
Original post by Clip
In fairness, that's a pretty accurate description of first year halls in all universities.

I would like to think it is, and it is a shame that a dozen or so idiots spoil it for the rest. Notts should interview more students to weed out the bad apples.

Does this laddish stuff go on at Durham or Bath or Edinburgh, or any top drawer uni?
Reply 6
It's only spoiling it if you don't buy into it. It's a fact of life of living in halls, or living communally with anyone, really.

It goes on at every university. In fact, it's probably less likely at the rubbish ones with large Asian contingents, where all they do is hang around being boring.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by alex193
That was about 15 people out of the 260 in my hall - unfortunately they're the ones everyone notices!

I forgot to mention a few students thought it funny to urinate on in the hall communal kitchen kettles for a laugh. Are you seriously telling me Oxbridge, Durham, Edinburgh students stoop this low too?
Reply 8
Original post by Mansun
I forgot to mention a few students thought it funny to urinate on in the hall communal kitchen kettles for a laugh. Are you seriously telling me Oxbridge, Durham, Edinburgh students stoop this low too?

From what I hear from my old school friends, yep, there's knobheads wherever you go.
Reply 9
Original post by Mansun

Also were you in Sherwood too? :tongue:
Original post by Mansun
I would like to think it is, and it is a shame that a dozen or so idiots spoil it for the rest. Notts should interview more students to weed out the bad apples.

Does this laddish stuff go on at Durham or Bath or Edinburgh, or any top drawer uni?

Um, what would that do? They're not going to turn up to the interview holding a bottle of vodka and screaming 'down it, down it', are they? No of course not, they will be all sweet and dedicated to their degree at the interview.
Reply 11
Original post by alex193
From what I hear from my old school friends, yep, there's knobheads wherever you go.

Somebody tell me they have seen this at Oxbridge then I will rest the case on Nottingham. How some students can be so ****** gross and immature is astonishing. If I was back there now I would have knocked each and every one of their teeth out. I was too much of a nice boy back then.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
Somebody tell me they have seen this at Oxbridge then I will rest the case on Nottingham. How some students can be so f***** gross and immature is astonishing. If I was back there now I would have knocked each and every one of their teeth out. I was too much of a nice boy back then.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9515532/Naked-parades-bodily-fluids-and-bar-fights-Oxbridges-dossier-of-student-mayhem-revealed.html

May be of interest :wink:
Original post by Mansun
Somebody tell me they have seen this at Oxbridge then I will rest the case on Nottingham. How some students can be so f***** gross and immature is astonishing. If I was back there now I would have knocked each and every one of their teeth out. I was too much of a nice boy back then.

My best friend goes to Oxford. Someone in his staircase was expelled ('rusticated') for getting blind drunk severl times a week then threatening to kill people.
Reply 14
Original post by alex193
Also were you in Sherwood too? :tongue:

No, I was at Florence Boot Hall. But I also heard the other halls made homophobic comments and chants on the rumour that a gay couple made love in the communal showers at Rutland Hall. Seriously, this stupid culture should have been nipped in the bud with the police involved.
Reply 15

Ok so it doesn't just go on at Nottingham. But why do these ********* not get expelled by the uni? Not like boarding schools would allow it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Who?Knows
Um, what would that do? They're not going to turn up to the interview holding a bottle of vodka and screaming 'down it, down it', are they? No of course not, they will be all sweet and dedicated to their degree at the interview.

But do ********s bother attending the interview?

Does Durham get bad press for appalling student behaviour?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
Ok so it doesn't just go on at Nottingham. But why do these d*ckheads not get expelled by the uni? Not like boarding schools would allow it?

The difference between boarding school and uni is that there's nobody checking on you at uni. You go from either living at home or in a regimented boarding house and having very personalised teaching and everything to being dropped in with 200+ excitable young people and expected to get on with it. Most people do but some feel the need to show themselves off, be that by laddish behaviour, pranks, whatever. The things you've commented on go on at dare I say every uni up and down the country - lots of young people, mostly independant for the first time, pusing their own limits too see what happens. It's a time of experimentation for many - be that social, sexual, fashion, whatever; and the results range from awesome to hilariously cringeworthy to offensive.
Reply 18
Original post by alex193
The difference between boarding school and uni is that there's nobody checking on you at uni. You go from either living at home or in a regimented boarding house and having very personalised teaching and everything to being dropped in with 200+ excitable young people and expected to get on with it. Most people do but some feel the need to show themselves off, be that by laddish behaviour, pranks, whatever. The things you've commented on go on at dare I say every uni up and down the country - lots of young people, mostly independant for the first time, pusing their own limits too see what happens. It's a time of experimentation for many - be that social, sexual, fashion, whatever; and the results range from awesome to hilariously cringeworthy to offensive.

One of the issues is the Hall reps actually encourage this kind of culture, so they should be appointed and vetted better. Secondly, hall tutors are not doing enough to tackle the issue. Sure they will come down if a guy is unconscious on the floor after passing out drunk in the JCR, but otherwise they are nowhere to be seen.

Unis need to really step up the plate with some ideas to tackle binge drinking and laddish culture. More expulsions, more warning letters, more policing in halls.
Original post by Mansun
But do d*ckheads bother attending the interview?

Does Durham get bad press for appalling student behaviour?

As you said they are bright rich kids. Their parents are not going to let them miss an interview. They may even have had the intention of studying and doing well but the lack of parent supervision may have made them go about nuts. For most of these kids this is the first time they can do whatever they want, act however they want and come in whenever they want.

Latest

Trending

Trending