The Student Room Group

GSCE grades going into A level

I would like to eventually become an English teacher in International Schools but the issue is that I'm uncertain weather to take A levels because my grades at GCSE are all over the place, from A*'s to C's. My average GCSE grades are B/C but the issue is that I'm not good at the sciences therefore wouldn't know other than English Literature the other 3 A-levels to pick considering the options available I have not yet studied or encountered.
Opinions?
Reply 1
Original post by Caver
I would like to eventually become an English teacher in International Schools but the issue is that I'm uncertain weather to take A levels because my grades at GCSE are all over the place, from A*'s to C's. My average GCSE grades are B/C but the issue is that I'm not good at the sciences therefore wouldn't know other than English Literature the other 3 A-levels to pick considering the options available I have not yet studied or encountered.
Opinions?

Hey! :smile:

To be able to become a teacher first off, you have to go to university to qualify to be a teacher! You don't have to take science to be an English teacher either so don't stress or worry! Plus, your GCSEs look great as well so don't get too down! It may not be A/A* but I know there are places where you can do A-Levels which just Cs anyhow :tongue:

First of all, what subjects did you take at GCSE and what do you enjoy? Also English literature is the better option than the language too! Also taking into consideration you want to be an international teacher, I think you would be needing to take a language as well at a level seeming you will be in a different country? I'm not fully sure but if the country you go to teach at doesn't speak English you definitely would need a language!

Hope this helps and if you have any further questions I will try my best to answer them if I can :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Dani04
Hey! :smile:

To be able to become a teacher first off, you have to go to university to qualify to be a teacher! You don't have to take science to be an English teacher either so don't stress or worry! Plus, your GCSEs look great as well so don't get too down! It may not be A/A* but I know there are places where you can do A-Levels which just Cs anyhow :tongue:

First of all, what subjects did you take at GCSE and what do you enjoy? Also English literature is the better option than the language too! Also taking into consideration you want to be an international teacher, I think you would be needing to take a language as well at a level seeming you will be in a different country? I'm not fully sure but if the country you go to teach at doesn't speak English you definitely would need a language!

Hope this helps and if you have any further questions I will try my best to answer them if I can :h:

Thank you for your response.
I have a C in Spanish and Geography and currently awaiting results on Leisure&Tourism and Core Science. My current GCSEs I undertake are: ICT, French, Health and social care (Double Award), Maths, Additional Science, English lit&lang.
Reply 3
Original post by Caver
Thank you for your response.
I have a C in Spanish and Geography and currently awaiting results on Leisure&Tourism and Core Science. My current GCSEs I undertake are: ICT, French, Health and social care (Double Award), Maths, Additional Science, English lit&lang.

Okay, from the sixth forms I looked at in my city for all of them, they require a B grade minimum for any language. It could be different elsewhere so try discussing with a teacher about the possibility of taking up a language at a level, not only would this make your application to university more better, you could even teach in this country too! Do you have any idea about what universities you would like to go to? If it is the more competitive ones, you need three\four academic subjects to A2.

The list of accepted academic subjects are here:
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
(You would really need subjects from the A lists and for the fourth option you choose, the B or possibly C list would be acceptable only for a fourth)

Seeming you take French, do you feel you have done well in this subject? If so you could take up French instead of Spanish considering you would possibly achieve a B as you say your averages are A*-C also! How do you feel you cope with maths?
Reply 4
Original post by Dani04
Okay, from the sixth forms I looked at in my city for all of them, they require a B grade minimum for any language. It could be different elsewhere so try discussing with a teacher about the possibility of taking up a language at a level, not only would this make your application to university more better, you could even teach in this country too! Do you have any idea about what universities you would like to go to? If it is the more competitive ones, you need three\four academic subjects to A2.

The list of accepted academic subjects are here:
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
(You would really need subjects from the A lists and for the fourth option you choose, the B or possibly C list would be acceptable only for a fourth)

Seeming you take French, do you feel you have done well in this subject? If so you could take up French instead of Spanish considering you would possibly achieve a B as you say your averages are A*-C also! How do you feel you cope with maths?

Thank you! I'm predicted a B/C but going to go for the B. :-) In French I hope to go for a B also, I have another year until June.
Reply 5
Original post by Caver
Thank you! I'm predicted a B/C but going to go for the B. :-) In French I hope to go for a B also, I have another year until June.

Same here! I was put on the English Baracculate so I was forced to do a language and a humanities subject, leaving me with one option of my own! If you believe in yourself you will achieve more than a B, even if you don't you should be proud of a language on your CV because it makes you stand out a little more to the people who didn't take up a language! And by what you said that sounds really good seeming you could have the three academic subjects being English Literature, Maths and French and a fourth subject which isn't seen as a facilating subject :smile:

Good luck with your exams next year and I hope you have your options thought out when you start applying in October/November :h:

Quick Reply

Latest