The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine gap year

Hi, I am currently starting my second year of sixth form and have recently decided i want to become a vet. I feel as though I have decided this too late as I have not done any work experience for it. Is it possible to take a gap year after I finish sixth form to gain work experience and then apply for university after the gap year?
Reply 1
Absolutely. Lots of people take a gap year. I do think sometimes the expectations can be a little higher for work experience if you take a gap year, since in theory you've had an "extra" year to gain it. So I would try and aim for 15-20 weeks or more. There is lots of good information on work experience recommendations on the stickied work experience thread at the top of the forum.
Reply 2
Original post by Tarnia
Absolutely. Lots of people take a gap year. I do think sometimes the expectations can be a little higher for work experience if you take a gap year, since in theory you've had an "extra" year to gain it. So I would try and aim for 15-20 weeks or more. There is lots of good information on work experience recommendations on the stickied work experience thread at the top of the forum.

Thanks, that's good to know. However, I was wondering if you have to still apply for uni before the gap year as a 'deferred applicant'? Is this true or can I just wait and apply after I have finished the gap year?
Reply 3
My understanding is you do not, you can take your gap year then apply, no 'deferred' status necessary. However, I would confirm this definitively, as I applied as a graduate student. I'm sure if you contact admissions for the schools you are interested in (quick email) they can confirm this for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending