The Student Room Group

How much does uni student drink?

So I was looking up the internet and saw how much uni people drink. i found out that most people drink a WHOLE bottle of vodka in one go.

Im concerned that I can't keep up as I can only drink about 15-18 units before I loss my control and sense.

So do I need to start bingeing more right now?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No one will care how much you drink. Don't turn into a self-conscious idiot just because you're starting uni. Make friends, have fun, drink as much as you want.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah you have to drink a whole bottle of cheap supermarket Vodka before you even go out, so you go out already drunk and don't have to spend as much.

Honestly, why do you feel the need to "keep up"? Drink as much or as little as you want. You're at uni to study, not drink all the time.
Reply 3
To answer your question - I have never counted my drinks... sometimes I'll have something like 2 glasses of wine pre-drinking and 2 drinks out... sometimes I'll drink as you said.. a bottle of vodka..
I've tried 1 pint of Guinness, 1 pint of Carlsberg .... much happier on OJ, Pepsi Max or bottled/tap water if I'm tbh.
I've never drank alcohol at all and my first year was fine.
Reply 6
Don't start bingeing, those people who drink a whole bottle of vodka tend to also be the ones who can't remember a thing about the night and vomit a LOT.

Just drink what you like, and get to know your limits. I tend to go for a bottle of wine before I go out and don't drink anything once I'm there because I know that I'll be pretty drunk, but won't be ill in the morning. Unless I decide it's a good idea to shots at the club, then I spend some of the morning by the toilet (doesn't happen often, as our chunder chart proves).
Original post by lamyers1
Don't start bingeing, those people who drink a whole bottle of vodka tend to also be the ones who can't remember a thing about the night and vomit a LOT.

Just drink what you like, and get to know your limits. I tend to go for a bottle of wine before I go out and don't drink anything once I'm there because I know that I'll be pretty drunk, but won't be ill in the morning. Unless I decide it's a good idea to shots at the club, then I spend some of the morning by the toilet (doesn't happen often, as our chunder chart proves).

So I stop once I've drank half a bottle of vodka?
Reply 8
Original post by Wilsoncw1997

Stop when you've had enough haha :L

If you don't drink too fast, you can pretty much judge for yourself when you've had enough. Or just limit yourself before the night starts!

I'm not gonna act like I have always stuck to this, there have been a few nights at uni where I have gotten pretty legless and made a total fool of myself (low point:falling asleep in a club toilet after vomiting in it), but they are very infrequent, promise!
Original post by lamyers1
Stop when you've had enough haha :L

If you don't drink too fast, you can pretty much judge for yourself when you've had enough. Or just limit yourself before the night starts!

I'm not gonna act like I have always stuck to this, there have been a few nights at uni where I have gotten pretty legless and made a total fool of myself (low point:falling asleep in a club toilet after vomiting in it), but they are very infrequent, promise!

I do calculate how much I drink as in units. I know my upper limits of 18 before I start to go unconscious. But I'm concerned that I would be forced to go above my upper limit.
I do calculate how much I drink as in units. I know my upper limits of 18 before I start to go unconscious. But I'm concerned that I would be forced to go above my upper limit.

No, you're in control.
So I was looking up the internet and saw how much uni people drink. i found out that most people drink a WHOLE bottle of vodka in one go.

Im concerned that I can't keep up as I can only drink about 15-18 units before I loss my control and sense.

My average night out would be 12-15 units in total, depending on how it goes, which gets me drunk enough but not totally gone. Sometimes I manage a lot more, sometimes less. I don't know of anyone who can drink a whole 70cl in one go, but maybe a 35. Even then, TC would be involved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

You won't be forced to, people may try to persuade you but just stick to your guns and you'll be fine. Depending on the pace you drink at and how much mixer you use, you could probably stretch half a bottle of vodka over a whole pre-drink session, and it's cheaper then cause you don't have to buy drinks when you're out :smile:
Reply 13
Just know your limits. Nobody cares if you drink less and if anyone makes fun of your lower tolerance then you can just laugh at them since you can get drunk cheaper and with less effort than them. That's what I do

Pace yourself. Don't drink too much too fast! Other people are more concerned with how much they drink usually :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Asklepios
My average night out would be 12-15 units in total, depending on how it goes, which gets me drunk enough but not totally gone. Sometimes I manage a lot more, sometimes less. I don't know of anyone who can drink a whole 70cl in one go, but maybe a 35. Even then, TC would be involved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A 35 is my standard pre-drink.

A whole bottle of vodka, yikes.

Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
Yeah you have to drink a whole bottle of cheap supermarket Vodka before you even go out, so you go out already drunk and don't have to spend as much.

Honestly, why do you feel the need to "keep up"? Drink as much or as little as you want. You're at uni to study, not drink all the time.

Agree with this completely, don't feel compelled to drink at all just because others are. Drink if you want to, but don't feel the need to start "binging" just to fit in. It can help you loosen up a bit and relax but you don't need to get completely drunk in order to make friends.
Original post by tufc

It's reasonable if spread out over pres say, but one of my friends did a 35 for neknomination :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18

Most people don't drink a whole bottle of vodka. That's insane. That's 28 units of alcohol which would get most people absolutely plastered.

I usually drunk 350ml of alcohol (half a bottle of vodka) / 14 units for pre-drinks which is spread out over an hour and a half or so. Then in clubs I tend to drink about 6-8 drinks which is another 6-8 units, giving me 20-22 in total over the space of about 6 hours.

No one will care if you can't drink as much as another person. I'd love to be able to get drunk on fewer drinks it would be a hell of a lot cheaper!
Original post by tufc

This.

Cheap, and gets you set up nicely for the night. :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest