The Student Room Group

I'm a humanist, ask me anything!

Yeah, I'm a humanist. Which means that in part throughout the time I've classed myself as one, I have tried to behave as a decent human without any expectation or in my case want of any reward or punishment after I die :smile:

Now you know... ask me anything :smile:
Reply 1
Aren't most people humanist since most of us try behave as decent humans without any expectations?
Reply 2
Original post by Rlove95
Aren't most people humanist since most of us try behave as decent humans without any expectations?

You could look at it that way. But then you have to ask yourself how many people truly care and make some form of effort to be decent.

For example I gave a homeless guy £12 yesterday. It didn't look like anyone had gone over to him all day :frown:
Reply 3
So basically free prostitution
Reply 4
Original post by Fact
So basically free prostitution

A prostitute would imply I charge :wink: Jokes.

But no, you're a fool.
What's your view on deism.
Reply 6
Original post by xmertic
A prostitute would imply I charge :wink: Jokes.

But no, you're a fool.

A fool? :shock: You're calling a fellow human that!
Reply 7
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

I believe it's complete tripe and isn't worth wasting any form of time over.
Live free and live life as full as you see fit :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Fact
A fool? :shock: You're calling a fellow human that!

Hahaha! :smile: I didn't mean it in an offensive way.

Besides, I make a conscientious effort to be nice and helpful where appropriate. Doesn't mean I am and will be 24/7 :smile:
Original post by xmertic
I believe it's complete tripe and isn't worth wasting any form of time over.
Live free and live life as full as you see fit :smile:

How does it conflict with the principles of humanism? Practically a deist can hold the exact same views an atheist humanist would have in terms of science and human morals.
Reply 10

Having said that though. I don't have anything against people who do believe in something though :smile:
Reply 11
How does it conflict with the principles of humanism? Practically a deist can hold the exact same views an atheist humanist would have in terms of science and human morals.

Typically a christian for example would expect to be sent to heaven for good deeds. I'll do them because it's what I think is the right thing to do and not expect anything at the end of it all :smile:
Original post by xmertic
Typically a christian for example would expect to be sent to heaven for good deeds. I'll do them because it's what I think is the right thing to do and not expect anything at the end of it all :smile:

A deist wont be a christian. They don't believe in miracles or anything super natural. Nor will they believe in the christian heaven.
Can I bite you?
Reply 14
A deist wont be a christian. They don't believe in miracles or anything super natural. Nor will they believe in the christian heaven.

A deist from my understanding is someone who believe in something more, such as a creator.
Original post by xmertic
A deist from my understanding is someone who believe in something more, such as a creator.

Ye but they do not believe in the human like theistic god. They see uncovering the laws of nature as humans glimpsing aspects of reality (or 'God'). Science doesn't contradict a deist, they reject mysticism and miracles and favor logic and empirical observation.

Einstein was one :yes:

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own - a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in Nature." - Einstein.

Basically it is a different philosophical outlook of what the laws of nature we uncover mean and is compatible with most of humanism.
Reply 16
Ye but they do not believe in the human like theistic god. They see uncovering the laws of nature as humans glimpsing aspects of reality (or 'God'). Science doesn't contradict a deist, they reject mysticism and miracles and favor logic and empirical observation.

Einstein was one :yes:

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own - a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in Nature." - Einstein.

Basically it is a different philosophical outlook of what the laws of nature we uncover mean and is compatible with most of humanism.

Interesting, but I can't say I care all that much I'm afraid :smile: I don't believe in anything supernatural or beyond our human understanding really.
Original post by xmertic
Interesting, but I can't say I care all that much I'm afraid :smile: I don't believe in anything supernatural or beyond our human understanding really.

Neither do deists! :facepalm:

In terms of practicality, neither do I.
But it's interesting to think about.
Reply 18
Neither do deists! :facepalm:

In terms of practicality, neither do I.
But it's interesting to think about.

If you think it's interesting to think about, I hold nothing against you. That's fine :smile:

But I just don't have an interest really.

Like a minute ago you mentioned supernatural stuff, so I assumed as I skim read. So fair enough :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest