The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does this seem like a "Are my grades good enough/Can I fluke getting into Oxbridge?" thread couched as a discussion to anyone else?
Reply 21
I would sum it up like this:

Someone who gets 6 As at A-Level and 10 A*s at GCSE and gets rejected, this is news...

Someone who gets 3 As at A-Level with 2 As 5Bs and 3Cs at GCSE gets accepted, this is news....

This is why you only hear about these extreme cases... In reality I imagine the better your GCSEs are the more likely you are to get in... (I would be very surprised if there isnt a major correlation)
Go on, do a PhD on it, you know you want to...
Reply 23
I think the last to replies sum it up neatly that actually GCSE's aren't the bee all and end all of getting into uni.
Reply 24
What I don't understand is this:

There is a possibility that a student might not have achieved well at GCSEs, but that doesn't necessarily make him a bad student and nor should that reduce his chances. It could be that he just had bad days on some of the exams. Exams, and GCSEs in particular, aren't a good way of showing what you're capable of. GCSEs are generally simple regurgitations from textbooks and only test your memory.

I'm glad tutors at Oxbridge interview applicants as it gives them a chance to see how their brain works and whether the exam results were simple coincidences.
Reply 25
WokSz
What I don't understand is this:

There is a possibility that a student might not have achieved well at GCSEs, but that doesn't necessarily make him a bad student and nor should that reduce his chances. It could be that he just had bad days on some of the exams. Exams, and GCSEs in particular, aren't a good way of showing what you're capable of. GCSEs are generally simple regurgitations from textbooks and only test your memory.

I'm glad tutors at Oxbridge interview applicants as it gives them a chance to see how their brain works and whether the exam results were simple coincidences.

well they will have to do exams once they get to oxbridge anyway....

Latest

Trending

Trending