The Student Room Group

Would you marry/date someone with HIV/AIDS?

Poll

Would you marry/date someone with HIV/AIDS?

I don't have either of these btw lol - I saw this question on another forum I go on. Curious what TSR makes of this.

So yes/no? And why? I can probably guess most of the reasons for no though.
Reply 1
No - very risky but maybe I'm ill informed of being safe :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess it would really depend on the person, tbh, and whether they would be likely to take their medication correctly etc. HIV isn't a death sentence any more, and people can live just as long as HIV- people with modern treatment regimes, as well as minimise the risk of transmitting it. I can completely understand why people wouldn't want to, as awful as it must be for HIV+ people.
Never.
Nope.
Nuh uh.
Nah.
No
Reply 5
Say you have kids with the HIV/AIDS person, how likely would it be that your kids have HIV?
Original post by Kuriboh
Say you have kids with the person in question, how likely would it be that your kids have HIV?

15-45%
Reply 7
Original post by Jordanap
15-45%

Could you link me up with where you got those figs from? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Kuriboh
Could you link me up with where you got those figs from? Thanks :smile:

5% if they take drugs during that time http://www.avert.org/preventing-mother-child-transmission-hiv.htm
Nope
I wouldn't go looking to date someone with HIV/Aids. But you never know who you are going to meet or 'fall in love with'. I know someone with HIV and he has a long term partner. Nowadays if they take medication it isn't as bad. Guess it's one of those situations which would depend on who the person is, most people won't know what they truly would do unless they are put in that situation.
No.
Original post by Kuriboh
Say you have kids with the HIV/AIDS person, how likely would it be that your kids have HIV?

<1% in the developed world if precautions are taken i.e. the woman uses anti-retroviral medications after the first trimester of her pregnancy, gives birth via C-section and does not breastfeed.

To answer the question, no I would not.
Depends really - not to sound judgemental, but I personally don't sleep around and wouldn't want to date someone who did. So if he'd got it from having lots of unsafe sex, then no. If it was from needles it something then yeah I wouldn't have any issue with it.
Original post by joker12345
Depends really - not to sound judgemental, but I personally don't sleep around and wouldn't want to date someone who did. So if he'd got it from having lots of unsafe sex, then no. If it was from needles it something then yeah I wouldn't have any issue with it.

According to you, sleeping around = irresponsible behaviour but sharing needles isn't?! :s-smilie:
Original post by Democracy
According to you, sleeping around = irresponsible behaviour but sharing needles isn't?! :s-smilie:

I didn't say it was irresponsible, just not my way of living life and something I'd consider an incompatibility in a partner. I wasn't really thinking it in a drugs way when I said it, more an accident sort of way. If it was from drug use then it'd be a whole other thing that I'd evaluate, depending on whether they were still using etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending