The Student Room Group

Would you get in your friends car if....?

...they told you they use their phone at the wheel?

I've had a friend tell me that they do this, and that they speed. They haven't passed yet but I'd downright refuse to get in a car with them driving.
Is this just me?

Scroll to see replies

i sometimes use my phone but usually only when i'm just starting my journey and i'm going like 5 miles an hour or i've stopped at traffic lights

i'm trying not to anymore because it's so easy to get into an accident , but i don't use it if i'm going on a motorway or something...

idk , if you have a passenger in the car they can do the phone stuff for you so i wouldn't be worried about it - i'd just do whatever they wanted doing for them.
I don't like how much a phone can distract someone while driving. I see people swerving around just because they're trying to text. If they were doing that at night time, they'd be pulled over on suspicion of drink driving.

I, personally, make a lot of phone calls while driving but it's all wireless through the Bluetooth kit with voice controls. I'm very happy that a lot of newer cars have this as standard now!
Original post by priley95

I've had a friend tell me that they do this, and that they speed. They haven't passed yet but I'd downright refuse to get in a car with them driving.
Is this just me?

Hands free - I'm OK
Actually pressing buttons - no
Reply 4
Original post by hotliketea
i sometimes use my phone but usually only when i'm just starting my journey and i'm going like 5 miles an hour or i've stopped at traffic lights

i'm trying not to anymore because it's so easy to get into an accident , but i don't use it if i'm going on a motorway or something...

idk , if you have a passenger in the car they can do the phone stuff for you so i wouldn't be worried about it - i'd just do whatever they wanted doing for them.

Using your phone at 5 miles an hour is even worse. You're less aware than otherwise because you think you're fine due to your speed. Just don't use your phone full stop. It's illegal for good reason.
Reply 5

Is this just me?

I can understand not wanting to get in with them if they use their phone a lot. That I get, but speeding isn't an issue that will affect you really. Let your friend be stupid.
No. I value my life and wouldn't trust an irresponsible driver. Would rather walk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes and I have lots of times!
Everybody speeds.

Is this just me?

How do they do this if they haven't passed yet? Surely the instructor wouldn't let them..

But I've done it many times. Parents do it occasionally too. Looking back now, I probably shouldn't advocate it
Reply 10

you know what, it don't ****ing matter you stupid cow, 5mph or 5000 mph, you shouldn't be phoning whilst driving
Original post by Ice pops
you know what, it don't ****ing matter you stupid cow, 5mph or 5000 mph, you shouldn't be phoning whilst driving

i know , and just for future reference , being rude to someone isn't the way to get them to listen to you and heed your advice... especially to a teenager - they're more likely to do the exact opposite to what you want

i was honest in what i said and i didn't expect people to lecture me on something i already know - what was the point of the post if not to have honest answers? if the OP only meant for people to answer in the classic "no of course i wouldn't" why would they make the post?

just as an addition , i haven't done it for probably four months because one of my friends got thrown off his motorbike by a guy texting whilst going 40. it's a shame it took that to get me to realise how dangerous it is but i sort of feel like it's so underestimated among teenagers... i was never aware of how much attention it takes before i watched a **** load of videos

idk , sometimes it's really stupid what you're not made aware of at school... or even on the tv

so yeah , idk , no need to express your opinion in such a rude way
Reply 12
Original post by RoundTrip
Everybody speeds.

I don't... speed limit, not a challenge...

Original post by xmertic
I can understand not wanting to get in with them if they use their phone a lot. That I get, but speeding isn't an issue that will affect you really. Let your friend be stupid.

I have been in cars where my friends speed, I tell them that they are and about the 6 point probationary period but I leave them to get on with it otherwise!

Original post by mynameisntbobk
How do they do this if they haven't passed yet? Surely the instructor wouldn't let them..

Does it while learning with his parents. He didn't actually realise it was illegal until I told him, he was genuinely shocked....
I have done (been in a friend's car) and probably would again. Not that I'm condoning mobile use whilst driving.
(edited 9 years ago)
I use my phone and drive all the time though it is strictly calls only.

To me it is no different than talking to passengers in the car.

Texting while driving? I generally don't do it unless stopped at a traffic light and usually it is just to read it. I don't view it any differently from looking at what radio station the car is tuned into.
Eh, I was super cautious about this as well. When I was driving with a friend for the first time, I passed off a few jokes about how I wasn't cool with it and it stopped her from texting whenever she was driving.

She would text while at the traffic light--mostly reading it--which wasn't perfect but hardly a dealbreaker, still felt safe.

i know , and just for future reference , being rude to someone isn't the way to get them to listen to you and heed your advice... especially to a teenager - they're more likely to do the exact opposite to what you want

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Especially to a teenager - they're more likely to do the exact opposite to what you want"

I'm a teenager and I have a license and if somebody was lecturing me not to text and drive, even at low speeds, I would not 'do the opposite'.

You're driving a lethal weapon, not having a tantrum at home. If you still have that attitude about the serious things I'd rather you were not out on the road.
Reply 17
I wouldn't personally :

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
Posted from TSR Mobile

"Especially to a teenager - they're more likely to do the exact opposite to what you want"

I'm a teenager and I have a license and if somebody was lecturing me not to text and drive, even at low speeds, I would not 'do the opposite'.

You're driving a lethal weapon, not having a tantrum at home. If you still have that attitude about the serious things I'd rather you were not out on the road.

if someone was lecturing you on something you've already been made abundantly clear of , and calling you a cow at the same time , over the internet where it makes almost no impact , you're likely to ignore their advice

i have not because i was made aware of the huge impact texting can have. as i said before , i only responded honestly to the post

in future , i will give a clichéd and fully politically correct answer - thank you for your condescension :rolleyes:
if someone was lecturing you on something you've already been made abundantly clear of , and calling you a cow at the same time , over the internet where it makes almost no impact , you're likely to ignore their advice

i have not because i was made aware of the huge impact texting can have. as i said before , i only responded honestly to the post

in future , i will give a clichéd and fully politically correct answer - thank you for your condescension :rolleyes:

What can I say, you were asking for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply