The Student Room Group

Worried if Gap Year Right Choice? :S

Hi guys,

so I've got a place at Bath uni to study physics this sept. But after coming back from interrailing round couple countries in Europe recently I had ideas about deferring entry and going on a 6 month work/ 6 month travel type gap year.

Problem is I'm terrified of making the 'wrong' decision. Or at least, the worst-off decision. Not sure if 6 months of slogging away working and minimal social life (at best) will so wonders to my mental health.. But part of me really feels I need this year out. or I'll just be crossing from one conveyor belt to the next. I feel I need to develop myself outside academia, like I don't have much to myself aside from school work.

Then again looking on facebook and seeing all my friends firmly integrated into uni life, and me at my parent's house one step behind. Worried even when it comes to the 'fun' bit of travelling, that as I'm doing it alone I will be scared and not enjoy myself. I want to have that gap year experience. But then again couldn't I develop as a person with clubs and societies at uni, and then work abroad on my holidays?

please please give me any thoughts, or advice. Be it first hand on what you did or whether you're going through same thing.

thanks a million :smile:
I'm going to be applying for uni this September for entry either in 2015 or deferred entry for 2016. I've just finished my AS Levels and I'm having the exact same problem as you, for the exact same reasons you describe. I would love to go travelling but I'm not sure that I would be able to cope with watching my school friends settle in to uni life while I would be working to fund the travel in the second half of my gap year.

The best advice someone gave me is this: there are people who regret not taking time out to go traveling; there are no people who regret taking time out to go travelling.

Hope you figure out what to do!
Reply 2
Hi, I've also just finished my AS levels and will be starting A2 in September.

I also went through this stage but you've got to remember that you've reached a point in life now where not everyone's going to be doing the same thing, everyone's gonna be branching out and making their own choices so not going to university at the same time as everyone else isn't necessarily a bad thing. Don't be scared of doing it on your own, take the plunge! There is no 'wrong' decision, but remember that you wouldn't be "one step behind" your friends, you'll just be on a different path. It's up to you, what do you want from life?

It's a tricky choice but I hope you're happy with whatever you decide :h:
I am applying for uni in September this year and have the exact same worries as you! From speaking to people everyone who did take a gap year has not regretted it at all- whereas if you don't you will always be wondering what if you had. My main concerns are that I want to study medicine which is already a six year course so I'm not sure if I wanted to add an extra year on to that. So maybe think about the length of your course? If it is only three years or so having a gap year won't put you that far behind everyone. If you don't want to see your friends on facebook when they start uni then maybe try and arrange some of your travelling for during that month because then you will be too busy to notice what they are doing?

I completely sympathise though I hate making these massive decisions!

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest