The Student Room Group

Girls what should I do?

I went on a first real date with a girl on friday (I'd seen her on a couple of occasions beforehand but only briefly). It all went really well and we both want to go on another.

Locally I've found a music festival that looks good. Lots to see and do etc. However a day ticket is £60 each and I don't know whether I can afford the full £120 for the two of us, plus drinks etc it will easily be £180. But I do really want to take her... Should I/ can I ask whether she would contribute towards half her ticket so £30. I'm a university student working part-time hours and she's also a uni student but on full-time placement.
Can I ask her?? I don't know if I could 'stomach' it otherwise.

Thankyou
Fabian

Scroll to see replies

Unless she's a traditional snob, she won't mind paying for herself
Original post by fabmaester
I went on a first real date with a girl on friday (I'd seen her on a couple of occasions beforehand but only briefly). It all went really well and we both want to go on another.

Locally I've found a music festival that looks good. Lots to see and do etc. However a day ticket is £60 each and I don't know whether I can afford the full £120 for the two of us, plus drinks etc it will easily be £180. But I do really want to take her... Should I/ can I ask whether she would contribute towards half her ticket so £30. I'm a university student working part-time hours and she's also a uni student but on full-time placement.

Thankyou
Fabian

These days it should be expected costs will be halfed unless otherwise specified. Bring it up and ask her if she is interested in going, she should assume you aren't offering to pay if you don't offer to pay. It's nice to pay for stuff occasionally but it shouldn't be the norm.
Yeah dude you don't have to pay, it's not like she's doing you a favour by paying her way! Just say 'hey, I saw this festival, made me think of you and I'd love to go together - the tickets are £60 each, do you want to go?' + you could say if you really wanted 'I'd offer to pay for the both of us but I'm a little low on cash atm'
And them treat her to some little things like maybe drinks etc.
Reply 4

Thankyou
Fabian

I'd suggest asking her to pay a little towards it, but make it very clear you'll pay majority
Reply 5
Original post by The vampire
Can I bite you?

Sexxy, where and when

Thankyou
Fabian

i'd think it was really cute if a guy said to me "there's this music festival i'd love to go to with you... it's £60 though , could you afford it?"

i don't expect a guy i'm not even dating to pay for a music festival ticket :P hell , my boyfriend of four years wouldn't pay for my music festival ticket :P
Reply 7
Original post by xmertic
I'd suggest asking her to pay a little towards it, but make it very clear you'll pay majority

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Speaking to one of my mates, he got his date to contribute towards pizza express, I wouldn't bother with anything like that. But when your talking hundreds of pounds it's different and a little bit of cash my way would be appreciated. But still it's far from ideal!
Sexxy, where and when

Neck unless you would prefer it to be somewhere else :teehee:
:yum:
You shouldn't have to pay for her, and she won't expect you to.

Just say something along the lines of 'hey, I was thinking about going to that festival and was wondering if you would want to go with me? The tickets are £60'. If she likes you then she should be up for it; if she really can't afford it then I'd just find some alternative date which would be just as fun but for much less cost.
OP if she's true GF material, she'll pay for herself :smile:
Reply 11
Neck unless you would prefer it to be somewhere else :teehee:
:yum:

Somerset to Transylvania, you better be good..
Reply 12
Just ask her if she would like to come along but state how much tickets are and just pay for drinks or something
Don't see why you feel obliged to pay even if you really would like to
I would reject going if a guy(or any friend) was paying the fees but thats just me
Glad you've found someone, good luck with everything :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Somerset to Transylvania, you better be good..

You've given up on the music festival idea pretty quickly. :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by hotliketea
i'd think it was really cute if a guy said to me "there's this music festival i'd love to go to with you... it's £60 though , could you afford it?"

i don't expect a guy i'm not even dating to pay for a music festival ticket :P hell , my boyfriend of four years wouldn't pay for my music festival ticket :P

Haha he sounds like a stingy bastad, if you were my girlfriend of 4 years I'd be jetting you off to Paris for weekend jaunts. Let alone quivering over festival tickets, hit me up :wink:
Original post by joker12345
Yeah dude you don't have to pay, it's not like she's doing you a favour by paying her way! Just say 'hey, I saw this festival, made me think of you and I'd love to go together - the tickets are £60 each, do you want to go?' + you could say if you really wanted 'I'd offer to pay for the both of us but I'm a little low on cash atm'
And them treat her to some little things like maybe drinks etc.

This is exactly it. By paying for everything, you're giving the impression that she's doing you a favour by going out with you, that you should pay for her company. She should want to do things with you as much as you want to do them her.

I treat my girlfriend sometimes, but generally we split things, and to be fair she genuinely insists on this. I've helped her out with some bigger expenses, but only because I had more money, I wouldn't be buying stuff if she had more money than me.

This tradition is a remnant from the days when men worked and women didn't.
Reply 16
You've given up on the music festival idea pretty quickly. :tongue:

Haha the festival can wait :tongue:
Haha the festival can wait :tongue:

... and the girl too :wink:
Reply 18
Original post by Mankytoes
This is exactly it. By paying for everything, you're giving the impression that she's doing you a favour by going out with you, that you should pay for her company. She should want to do things with you as much as you want to do them her.

I treat my girlfriend sometimes, but generally we split things, and to be fair she genuinely insists on this. I've helped her out with some bigger expenses, but only because I had more money, I wouldn't be buying stuff if she had more money than me.

This tradition is a remnant from the days when men worked and women didn't.

Thanks for your input, did you pay for everything early on or have you only recently started sharing the cost? It's not that I don't think she would contribute, I just don't want to appear tight and I guess it's that old stereotype that I should be paying for everything.. I'm slow to the game tbh, I've never dated etc I've just got to know the girl casually through school or on campus etc. I've only ever had fwb, nothing more..
She seems like a really sweet girl and I want to make my chances as good as possible
cheers
Haha he sounds like a stingy bastad, if you were my girlfriend of 4 years I'd be jetting you off to Paris for weekend jaunts. Let alone quivering over festival tickets, hit me up :wink:

nah it's more like he's 18 , about to become a uni student and like a typical teenager , doesn't have much money :P

i also hate paris haha , nice offer though :bl:

Quick Reply

Latest