The Student Room Group

Good Grammar Schools Secondary/Sixth Forms (South London)

My little sister is going into Y6 and is doing quite well in her studies. I was wondering if anyone had any information on any good grammar schools should could possibly apply to? As I've convinced my mum that the school closest to our house generally isn't that good.

Also my younger brother in Y10 has already achieved some good GCSE results in Y9 and is fairly intelligent for his age. I don't want him to make the same mistake I did by carrying on at the secondary school we studied at. Are there any decent state grammar school 6th forms that are around South London.

I want the best for my siblings and I'm doing some research to present to my mum on their behalf.

Thanks in advance for the help.

tl;dr: Are there any good state grammar schools in south-east London? :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I went to Chislehurst and Sidcup grammar, which seemed to do pretty well whilst I was there (granted that was a couple of years ago). And there are a number of other grammar schools in Bexley if that's easy for you to get to.

Also in Bexley is St Olaves, which has an excellent sixth form and consistently gets the very strong results from its students.
Reply 2
Original post by Abdul-Karim
My little sister is going into Y6 and is doing quite well in her studies. I was wondering if anyone had any information on any good grammar schools should could possibly apply to? As I've convinced my mum that the school closest to our house generally isn't that good.

Also my younger brother in Y10 has already achieved some good GCSE results in Y9 and is fairly intelligent for his age. I don't want him to make the same mistake I did by carrying on at the secondary school we studied at. Are there any decent state grammar school 6th forms that are around South London.

I want the best for my siblings and I'm doing some research to present to my mum on their behalf.

There are but they are in greater London e.g Townley Grammar etc
Haberdashers Aske New Cross is really good too.
Tbh you could have googled this yourself.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by tory88
I went to Chislehurst and Sidcup grammar, which seemed to do pretty well whilst I was there (granted that was a couple of years ago). And there are a number of other grammar schools in Bexley if that's easy for you to get to.

Also in Bexley is St Olaves, which has an excellent sixth form and consistently gets the very strong results from its students.

It isn't in Bexley
Reply 4
KEGS, Southend for Boys/Girls and Westcliff for Boys/Girls - They're the ones I've applied to for Sixth Form.
Original post by Ebuwa
There are but they are in greater London e.g Townley Grammar, Langley Park etc
Haberdashers Aske New Cross is really good too.
Tbh you could have googled this yourself.

From googling, I've found Wallington for Girls and Tiffin Girl school which I think are worth a look at. I want people's opinions though, as the school sites will generally only add the good stuff and be biased.
Reply 6
Well I got to Westcliff High School for Girls and my brother went to the Boys, he's off to do Medicine at Dundee now and I'm about to go into year 11.... our school is 2nd on the league tables for the UK and all that, but seriously it is a pretty good school. I know a lot of my friends live in London (East Ham, Dagenham) and get the train easily to and from school. There are many many many school buses even to Brentwood. When we next have an open evening come along. My brother joined the Boys in year 8 after going to a different school, so they do transfers but usually only in Years 7, 8 and 9. Good luck :smile:
Nonsuch grammar, tiffins, Wallington girls

Posted from TSR Mobile
From googling, I've found Wallington for Girls and Tiffin Girl school which I think are worth a look at. I want people's opinions though, as the school sites will generally only add the good stuff and be biased.

Wallington is a good school. Area is a bit dodgy tbh. It is literally in the middle of a very posh area and a poor area. Having said that, I know loads of girls that went there and they did quite well.

Tiffins is one the harder grammar school to get into at 11+ so I assume that the standard at 6th Form is very high. Kingston is a decent area as well.

Other schools would be Nonsuch, which is a good school in a very nice area but that is on the outskirts of South London.

I have heard Coombe Girl's is a decent school as well.
Reply 9
Bexley Grammar School

Beth's Grammar School

Townley Grammar School

Those are the best state schools in south east London :smile:
Reply 10
Townley is 5 minutes from Bexley heath shopping centre and is all girls I think
Original post by Kutta
Bexley Grammar School

Beth's Grammar School

Townley Grammar School

Those are the best state schools in south east London :smile:

Chis and Sid as well! We had the best results in Bexley last year for both GCSE and A level!!
Reply 12

St Olaves Grammar School has a really good Sixth Form. It is in Orpington which is on the outskirts of London.
Many students in the Sixth Form live in South East London.
It is very competitive to get in to because of the large number of applicants and entrance tests.

As for your younger sister Newstead Wood, which is the girls equivalent of Olaves is good as well. It may be a bit late to apply as the exams will be taking place an day now but you could still try contacting school.
Original post by mliela
St Olaves Grammar School has a really good Sixth Form. It is in Orpington which is on the outskirts of London.
Many students in the Sixth Form live in South East London.
It is very competitive to get in to because of the large number of applicants and entrance tests.

As for your younger sister Newstead Wood, which is the girls equivalent of Olaves is good as well. It may be a bit late to apply as the exams will be taking place an day now but you could still try contacting school.

Thanks. Turns out we got to applications too late for most of the schools. Unfortunately she'll have to attend the local state school. Thanks for your input. Hopefully come ~6th form, we will know better.
Thanks. Turns out we got to applications too late for most of the schools. Unfortunately she'll have to attend the local state school. Thanks for your input. Hopefully come ~6th form, we will know better.

you could try to apply to a different school throughout KS3 if you really want her to go to a grammar school...?

Quick Reply

Latest