The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Help with getting accommodation?

I am going to apply for a place at Solent through clearing (recently changed my mind about going to university, haha) and I was wondering if I had any chance of getting into halls. I've heard that they get booked up quickly although it says they don't start allocating rooms until results day. It is my first choice and I'm fairly confident I have the grades to get in so I will be contacting them as soon as I can on results day. If there are no spaces is there a waiting list I can join in case people decide to cancel? And if not, what's it like staying in private halls (I was looking at Mercury Point). Is it still easy to make friends and find out what's going on? Thank you :smile:
You need to set your firm choice on UCAS, even if your offer at Solent is conditional, as long as it is your firm offer to be eligible to apply for accommodation.

Read more about applying here.

Not sure about waiting lists, but the sooner you get your application in, the better your chances are, naturally.

Renting in private halls is very expensive, but you obviously get more with the price difference.
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
I from what i remember yes there isa weighting list now as for Mercury Point the rooms are nice and large and nicely set out there were one or two problems that i found however. The rooms may be large but the walls are paper thin also the locksmith will call without any warning there have been times when i would go up to my hall (in Mercury) and not be abel to get in so I had to go back down to reception and get the new keys despite these draw backs you are close to the bars and clubs i think that Solent also have an agreement wit them too you are very near the OC and the town centre and the uni and the other halls you will basically get the halls life with a bigger room.Also check out Orion's Point here you are closer to the Polygon and the main clubbing area (without it being too close) but you are also very near the uni unfortunately you are also here also on the edge of St Mary's (a sketchy area). The main halls in Solent are quite small but perfectly fine. if l all else fails look at Cryers they should shave anise house with a free room. whatever you decide to do good luck
Reply 3
Original post by Niamhrado
I am going to apply for a place at Solent through clearing (recently changed my mind about going to university, haha) and I was wondering if I had any chance of getting into halls. I've heard that they get booked up quickly although it says they don't start allocating rooms until results day. It is my first choice and I'm fairly confident I have the grades to get in so I will be contacting them as soon as I can on results day. If there are no spaces is there a waiting list I can join in case people decide to cancel? And if not, what's it like staying in private halls (I was looking at Mercury Point). Is it still easy to make friends and find out what's going on? Thank you :smile:

The acommmodation is being allocated in just over 2 weeks time so you'll have to be quick!

You could always find a house share if you're successful though.
Reply 4
Thanks for all your help guys - will definitely look into private halls.

I was also wondering if anyone has, or knows anyone who has applied late or gone through clearing and still got a place in the Solent halls? :smile:
hey, im applying through clearing too and have the same problem haha
Reply 6
Haha well I guess we will have to live somewhere :P which courses are you applying for? :smile:

Quick Reply