The Student Room Group

How to ask for money back from someone?

I went out with a guy I know, and he ended up suggesting we stay over at a v.v. nice hotel. I put my name down for the room as he didn't have ID on him, he said he'd pay with his card in the morning.
Anyway, later he suggested it would be nice if I paid it all lol. I said no because it was a LOT of money (just under £1k) and he is far better off than me.
Anyway, morning came and he mentioned it no more and I ended up charging it to my card and he said he'd transfer the money.
Later at lunch I mentioned it again, and asked him if he would promise to and he said yes but I couldn't tell if he was telling the truth. Reminded him a few more times before I went home.

Now, how can I ask him? He didn't ask for my bank details. I went badly into my overdraft, ad while I can cover it from my savings if I have to, I don't want to waste it all for a night that wasn't my plan (plus room service I didn't want)
He's a lovely guy, but it felt very ungentlemanly esp. for someone who brags about their money so much.

Someone reassure me / assist me please!? :mad: I'm quite angry at myself now..

Scroll to see replies

Maybe he did it deliberately to screw you out of your money. Also you have to have more money than sense to spend that much on a hotel.
Reply 2
Original post by Guy Secretan
Maybe he did it deliberately to screw you out of your money. Also you have to have more money than sense to spend that much on a hotel.

He has no need to. There was no intention to spend that much, I had no idea where we even were till in the room
Original post by Anonymous
He has no need to. There was no intention to spend that much, I had no idea where we even were till in the room

Did you have sex with him in the room just wondered. Dunno what to suggest just ask for it back again and say you are over your overdraft and really need it back.
Reply 4
Original post by Guy Secretan
Did you have sex with him in the room just wondered. Dunno what to suggest just ask for it back again and say you are over your overdraft and really need it back.

Yeah, I've seen him before and stuff.
I went out with a guy I know, and he ended up suggesting we stay over at a v.v. nice hotel. I put my name down for the room as he didn't have ID on him, he said he'd pay with his card in the morning.
Anyway, later he suggested it would be nice if I paid it all lol. I said no because it was a LOT of money (just under £1k) and he is far better off than me.
Anyway, morning came and he mentioned it no more and I ended up charging it to my card and he said he'd transfer the money.
Later at lunch I mentioned it again, and asked him if he would promise to and he said yes but I couldn't tell if he was telling the truth. Reminded him a few more times before I went home.

Now, how can I ask him? He didn't ask for my bank details. I went badly into my overdraft, ad while I can cover it from my savings if I have to, I don't want to waste it all for a night that wasn't my plan (plus room service I didn't want)
He's a lovely guy, but it felt very ungentlemanly esp. for someone who brags about their money so much.

Someone reassure me / assist me please!? :mad: I'm quite angry at myself now..

Most people who actually have money never brag about money.

Suggesting to stay at some place so expensive and not being able to pay for it sounds a little suspicious.
Reply 6
He sounds like a dick. Keep asking for the money until he gives you it. If he doesn't give you it, kick his ass.

I would never consider going out with a guy who would do that! You should've told him to do one when he even suggested you paying for all that.
I think you've been well and truly played OP

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you got taken for a bit more of a ride if you get me.
Reply 9
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
Most people who actually have money never brag about money.

Suggesting to stay at some place so expensive and not being able to pay for it sounds a little suspicious.

He does actually have money. He claimed at lunch his dad watches his bank for his frivolous spending and tried to get me to pay for it lol.

Original post by Nerol
He sounds like a dick. Keep asking for the money until he gives you it. If he doesn't give you it, kick his ass.

I would never consider going out with a guy who would do that! You should've told him to do one when he even suggested you paying for all that.

I'm thinking it more now, what guy tries to make the girl pay fully for his idea.... I think it's his 'feminist' thing.
Think I should text him saying I need it.
Just irritates me since I know he has money and far more of it than me so I can't really fathom why at all.

Original post by hey_its_me
I think you've been well and truly played OP

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would someone so rich try to swindle someone less well off, plus it's not like I only just met him..
When he suggested you stay at a very, very nice hotel did you not ask who was paying or if you were going halves before you turned up at the hotel - if not why not? That would be the first thing I did. Seems you were quite happy for him to foot the bill himself.

If you couldn't afford to lose it you shouldn't have paid it at the time.

You got bumped. Write it off as a loss and learn your lesson.
Original post by Wilfred Little
When he suggested you stay at a very, very nice hotel did you not ask who was paying or if you were going halves before you turned up at the hotel - if not why not? That would be the first thing I did. Seems you were quite happy for him to foot the bill himself.

If you couldn't afford to lose it you shouldn't have paid it at the time.

You got bumped. Write it off as a loss and learn your lesson.

Yes, he said he'd pay for it with his card in the morning, then said he'd transfer it instead.
He does actually have money. He claimed at lunch his dad watches his bank for his frivolous spending and tried to get me to pay for it lol.

and he's how old? 15?
Original post by cole-slaw
and he's how old? 15?

Reply 14

I'm thinking it more now, what guy tries to make the girl pay fully for his idea.... I think it's his 'feminist' thing.
Think I should text him saying I need it.
Just irritates me since I know he has money and far more of it than me so I can't really fathom why at all.

It's not a feminist thing. It's a dick thing. He's a dick.
Tell him you'll ask his parents for the money if he doesn't come up with it in the next 24 hours.

I think that may do the trick.
Original post by Nerol
It's not a feminist thing. It's a dick thing. He's a dick.

Yep :/ I know it was kinda stupid on my part, but I was way outta my depth and he knows it all so. I really just want him to volunteer it now.
Would you say it's bad to wait till he texts again? Or ask now :s

Original post by pickup
Tell him you'll ask his parents for the money if he doesn't come up with it in the next 24 hours.

I think that may do the trick.

lol that would probably work, tell them he got me drunk and took advantage of my lack of knowledge of it all.
Reply 17
Yep :/ I know it was kinda stupid on my part, but I was way outta my depth and he knows it all so. I really just want him to volunteer it now.
Would you say it's bad to wait till he texts again? Or ask now :s

lol that would probably work, tell them he got me drunk and took advantage of my lack of knowledge of it all.

Don't wait. Text him and ask for it back. Tell him you need it for something. If you just wait for him, you'll never get it back.
That really sucks, and it's nothing to do with being feminist or equal, he suggested it knowing you couldn't afford it, said he'd pay and then didn't.
Just text him saying you've gone into your overdraft and really need it back
You should definitely explain your situation to him and that you really need the money back. Maybe call him but seeing him in person is definitely better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending