The Student Room Group

Forgetting my First Language because of moving away from Germany

So, basically I was born and raised in Germany for 15 years before moving to London where I've been living for the past 8 years. Now, I was completely fluent in German when I was still there but it really went downhill since I've moved to the UK.

We still have German Television at home, which I always watch over British one and read practically all news online in German and even read a few intellectual books every now and then in German. My family isn't of German origin, which is why we speak a different language at home.

I understand every single word of it, but when speaking, I really get into stuttering, have to keep using English words to express myself properly etc. I don't have many German friends, but when I do go to Germany (2/3 times a year) and meet with my friends from back there, I can really see this problem arising.

How can I improve on this?

Tl;dr: As time passes, I'm struggling more and more over time with speaking German despite having been fluent at it 8 years ago..
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
If you don't speak it at home there is not much you can do about it.
Reply 3
Are there any online German communities where you can verbally converse with others? I've heard of similar communities for those attempting to learn a new language, so it may be possible to do so with others who also speak German fluently.
There are loads of Germans in London! Try a site like conversationexchange.com for a tandem so you can practise speaking. Speaking is a different skill set to reading/writing etc so the only way is to get chatting to people regularly.

I have a similar problem, as I'm forgetting my French and English ever since I've moved to Vienna :s
Don't worry, it happens with every linguist. People who speak more than 4 languages experience it often, but its very simple.

You haven't forgotten German at all, it is still all in your brain. Normally, if you were a bilingual, you would be happy to speak both. But because you are using English more often and have very little use for German, your brain has put your German into passive mode. This means you can listen and read without an issue, but when you try to utilise it in conversation or writing, your brain struggles to process your passive German as English is filling the 'active' role.

This can be solved in the matter of a few weeks or even days. Here is what you can do:

- Write a diary in German, it sounds simple, but it's a brilliant way to force your brain to activate your German.

- Talk to yourself. Again, simple and a bit strange, but if you mumble to yourself often it will not hurt.

- Read aloud. This is quite a clever trick as all you have to do is read, but by speaking the words, your brain is activating your vocals and this will help prevent stutters.

- Get one of your German friends to Skype you. It's a fun way of practising your German and will significantly help you.

- Have an intensive in a German speaking country. Go there for a week, and speak pure German.

As soon as you make German an active part of your life, the problem will immediately resolve itself. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending