The Student Room Group

Compulsory A* for FM?

Dear fellow TSRers

I was wondering if I have to achieve an A* in GCSE mathematics in order to purse A level further mathematics. I would like to apply for mechanical engineering at a top university ( Cambridge or imperial college). The A levels I've chosen are mathematics, further mathematics,physics,chemistry and electronics. However I fear I may have got about 75% (an A) in the gcse maths exam (I made some stupid mistakes). I am very fond of maths and I wish to study it further. Can a student with an A grade at GCSE take FM?

Sorry for the for the long post. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I posted this thread twice because there was no indication that the first one got posted!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

As far as I'm aware it depends on where you are studying A levels. At my sixth form they let anybody with a B or higher do FM
I think they will let you, I think at my school you needed an A* but I dno. Maybe you've done better than you think....

Further maths will be hard though considering you only got an A. You would need a pretty good reason as to why you will do well in further maths if you only got an A.
Reply 3
Original post by crayolaguy
I think they will let you, I think at my school you needed an A* but I dno. Maybe you've done better than you think....

Further maths will be hard though considering you only got an A. You would need a pretty good reason as to why you will do well in further maths if you only got an A.

I am usually an A* student in maths but I fall short in this exam due to several mistakes I wouldn't normally do. I just wondering what mark out of 200 usually passes off as a high A grade.
Original post by gavss
I am usually an A* student in maths but I fall short in this exam due to several mistakes I wouldn't normally do. I just wondering what mark out of 200 usually passes off as a high A grade.

What board are you on? I got my A* in GCSE last year for edexcel and an A* was 172 UMS, but I think that is pretty high... because I had a november one before that and the A* was only 157 UMS. So within that range would be an A* generally.
Reply 5
What board are you on? I got my A* in GCSE last year for edexcel and an A* was 172 UMS, but I think that is pretty high... because I had a november one before that and the A* was only 157 UMS. So within that range would be an A* generally.

My exam Board is edexcel.
Original post by gavss
My exam Board is edexcel.

Cool, so yeah I think A* should be within that range, do you think you could get 160 UMS?
Reply 7
Cool, so yeah I think A* should be within that range, do you think you could get 160 UMS?

I always mark myself harshly so I'm thinking somewhere in the 150s - or 148 at a stretch. It's quite frustrating because I got recommended to choose further maths by my maths teacher :frown:
Reply 8
So if I got a high a grade, could I still take the subject?
Reply 9
Original post by gavss
So if I got a high a grade, could I still take the subject?

It depends entirely on the policy of your school so you would have to ask them. However, if you want to be in with a chance of attending the universities you mention then you are going to have to eradicate silly mistakes - Cambridge will be expecting you to get over 90% in every A level maths exam you take.
Original post by Compost
It depends entirely on the policy of your school so you would have to ask them. However, if you want to be in with a chance of attending the universities you mention then you are going to have to eradicate silly mistakes - Cambridge will be expecting you to get over 90% in every A level maths exam you take.

Nope. Friend got offer and had <90% in one of his AS modules.

Spoiler

99% in GCSE Maths. TFW screwed up the translation to ruin 100% :facepalm:

I would retake in November if I didn't get the A* but thats just me..
It will depend on your school.

If they don't let you take it, you could ask to do a trial at it and see how well you perform on homeworks and if you do well they might let you carry on.
Original post by Jooooshy
Nope. Friend got offer and had <90% in one of his AS modules.]

I stand by my statement that Cambridge expect at least 90% in Y12 units, I never intended to say it was impossible to get in to Cambridge if you ever fell below their expectations. If that were the case then the OP would probably have no chance if he hasn't got an A* at GCSE maths. But if the OP continues to get only 75% average (which he thinks he has over 2 exams for GCSE) then he will have no chance.
Original post by Compost
I stand by my statement that Cambridge expect at least 90% in Y12 units, I never intended to say it was impossible to get in to Cambridge if you ever fell below their expectations. If that were the case then the OP would probably have no chance if he hasn't got an A* at GCSE maths. But if the OP continues to get only 75% average (which he thinks he has over 2 exams for GCSE) then he will have no chance.

I was only messing around :smile:
Original post by Jooooshy
I was only messing around :smile:

I'm glad it's not an absolute as we can all mess things up sometimes.
Original post by Compost
I'm glad it's not an absolute as we can all mess things up sometimes.

Exactly. Under performing in decision is hardly representative of anyone's mathematical ability!
Reply 17
Original post by gavss
Dear fellow TSRers

I was wondering if I have to achieve an A* in GCSE mathematics in order to purse A level further mathematics. I would like to apply for mechanical engineering at a top university ( Cambridge or imperial college). The A levels I've chosen are mathematics, further mathematics,physics,chemistry and electronics. However I fear I may have got about 75% (an A) in the gcse maths exam (I made some stupid mistakes). I am very fond of maths and I wish to study it further. Can a student with an A grade at GCSE take FM?

Sorry for the for the long post. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I posted this thread twice because there was no indication that the first one got posted!

Of course, a student can take Further Maths with an A. And, if what you're saying about stupid mistakes is correct - i.e. you had the capability of an A* at GCSE but nerves/stress prevented this - then you should be fine. But, you'll need to step it up a bit. People talk about this 'jump' from GCSE to A Level which, admittedly, does exist, but this is just in terms of content. If you have a good work ethic and are organised etc. then there's hardly any change. So, all in all, you can certainly take Further Maths but just bear in mind that all of GCSE and much of A Level are assumed knowledge in FM. Good Luck :smile:
Reply 18
Most schools make you fast track A level maths in Y12, so it will probably depend on that.
Reply 19
Original post by Compost

This is the first time my maths exam average was below 90%, that would include mocks past papers etc.
I'm not prone to mistakes like the ones I made. So far, in the summer, I've completed C1 and M1 and taken a couple of past exam papers. My average for C1 being 87 ( but then again it's C1!) and 90 in M1. Going through most of the a level maths syllabus, I think I'm capable of getting the mark you suggested. Do people with A in GCSE maths tend to do well in further maths ( from your experience), if their work ethic and motivation - like me - are high?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest