The Student Room Group

A Question Regarding Aerospace/Automotive Engineering

Hello Engineers of TSR!
I'm hoping to go to Loughborough in September in order to study for an Automotive Engineering degree and I have a quick question.

How much experience with the practical mechanical side (actually pulling cars apart) is actually needed and how big a disadvantage would it be if mine isn't great?

I have always been into cars and motorsport, I am an avid karter and could explain how the hybrid systems in a Le Mans Prototype or an F1 car work (I wrote my Extented Project Qualification on the subject) but my actual practical knowledge/experience isn't fantastic. I know my way around a 125cc two-stroke engine and have helped change the suspension on a Focus before but that is about it. My dad (from whom I inherited my love of cars) died when I was 13 before I was really old enough to properly help him out so I never really learned.

If I would be severely hampered with this amount of knowledge, could anyone point me towards a sort of "crash-course" in vehicle mechanics that I could go through before the end of September?

Thanks,
Conor :-)
Reply 1
Original post by InfernoxCJC

How much experience with the practical mechanical side (actually pulling cars apart) is actually needed and how big a disadvantage would it be if mine isn't great?

Zero, you don't need to know anything before hand whatever you need to learn will get taught to you on the course so don't worry. If you are eager though, then perhaps get work experience in a garage or something but otherwise you don't need to just enjoy your summer off :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by a10
Zero, you don't need to know anything before hand whatever you need to learn will get taught to you on the course so don't worry. If you are eager though, then perhaps get work experience in a garage or something but otherwise you don't need to just enjoy your summer off :smile:

Awesome, thank you :-)
I did think as much, just my mum said something the other day that put the thought in my head. You have taken a load off :-) :-)
Knowledge of using tools is always beneficial, but it's not essential. Experience will enable you to make smarter choices when tackling problems or designing things though. For instance, building in enough space to use an Allen key to tighten something or having some insight into how much metal is enough to support something (you will calculate it, but with experience you will know if it's a reliable calculation).

I did absolutely zero work on vehicles before mechanical engineering. I did do a GCSE and A-level in design technology and an A-level in electronics though. However it is apparent who knows how to use hand tools and who doesn't. If you can get some experience, it will be perfect. If you can't, it's not the end of the world. You are not training to become a mechanic, you're studying as an engineer (and they have totally different strategies and solutions).
Reply 4
Original post by SillyEddy
Knowledge of using tools is always beneficial, but it's not essential. Experience will enable you to make smarter choices when tackling problems or designing things though. For instance, building in enough space to use an Allen key to tighten something or having some insight into how much metal is enough to support something (you will calculate it, but with experience you will know if it's a reliable calculation).

I did absolutely zero work on vehicles before mechanical engineering. I did do a GCSE and A-level in design technology and an A-level in electronics though. However it is apparent who knows how to use hand tools and who doesn't. If you can get some experience, it will be perfect. If you can't, it's not the end of the world. You are not training to become a mechanic, you're studying as an engineer (and they have totally different strategies and solutions).

Thanks for the reply Eddy,
Don't worry. I know how to use tools, I was just saying I have never pulled a car apart before. Obviously you are right in the sense that I am not studying to be a mechanic but I was curious as to how helpful more mechanical experience would be.

I don't know if I will be able to get any proper work experience at a garage but I have committed myself to help my "car" friends with any work they are doing between now and September :smile: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest