The Student Room Group

Best cleanser & skincare products

Okay so, I have really bad skin (acne etc etc) so I want a good skincare/face wash routine.

I've tried the body shop tea tree stuff which does not work so I'm kind of at my wits end now and want some decent proper skincare stuff.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good skincare routine and what products to buy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SweetNothing
Okay so, I have really bad skin (acne etc etc) so I want a good skincare/face wash routine.

I've tried the body shop tea tree stuff which does not work so I'm kind of at my wits end now and want some decent proper skincare stuff.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good skincare routine and what products to buy?

I swear by Clinique 3 step range. I had very oily skin and used to get a lot of break outs, it worked wonders for me and my skin is so much better now and very rarely gets oily or spots.
You can buy a starter kit, which is the 3 products in small sizes, its £20. You get face wash, lotion, and moisturiser and you can choose for different skin types. But the girls in clinique will do an assessment of your skin for you to help you choose the right product which I found really helpful as I had no idea what I was looking for at the time.
There make up is really nice too, my make up always used to wear off because of the oil, I guess make up is only as good as the skin underneath! But they do redness solution make up which reduces redness caused by acne and spots :smile: hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish is really good!
Original post by AmyBurge
I swear by Clinique 3 step range. I had very oily skin and used to get a lot of break outs, it worked wonders for me and my skin is so much better now and very rarely gets oily or spots.
You can buy a starter kit, which is the 3 products in small sizes, its £20. You get face wash, lotion, and moisturiser and you can choose for different skin types. But the girls in clinique will do an assessment of your skin for you to help you choose the right product which I found really helpful as I had no idea what I was looking for at the time.
There make up is really nice too, my make up always used to wear off because of the oil, I guess make up is only as good as the skin underneath! But they do redness solution make up which reduces redness caused by acne and spots :smile: hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard about the clinique stuff, i'll give it a try that helped a bunch thanks!
I would definitely recommend trying Cetaphil. I use it twice a day and use the moisturiser twice a week. I suffer really bad with oily skin but because the cleanser is so basic it stops it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Clean and clear daily exfoliating wash and simple moisturiser. I've used for years and hardly ever get spots except for the odd one around the time of the month. But it depends on your skin type. I'm 29 and it took me years of changing face washes and moisturisers to find one that worked for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
My skin is so much better lately, I've started using Neutrogena Visibly Clear 2in1 Wash & Mask, and have especially noticed a difference since I started using Clearasil Daily Clear Deep Cleansing Toner. I think eating a bit healthier and being a lot less stressed may have helped too, but these products really seem to work especially if you use them twice a day without fail!
Reply 7
I suffer from horrible oily skin which causes me to break out a lot if I'm not strict with my regime (especially in summer). Currently I use the La Roche-Posay Effaclar Purifying Cleansing Gel - a bit of a mouthful. I've used it for years and works really well with my skin type. You can get this for around £10 from boots, I usually buy it when it's 3 for 2.

Also you should probably see the doctor about your skin. I have been a few times before about this problem and they've prescribed me creams and solutions (just a thought).

+1 for Cetaphil too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Using Nutrogena's grapefruit face wash helps me and the witch hazel stick is the best thing ive ever bought!!! I used it for just two days and no face wash and my skin was clearing up already! It makes the spots less red and reduces the size aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Cetaphil.

\thread
Reply 10
Freederm exfoliating daily wash. I swear by it. There is no one I have recommended it to that it hasn't helped. Use it for a week, trust me there will be a difference. Even though its £5 its WELL worth the money!
I had thought radiance after the age of 35 is a passé! But I was wrong. Sakare body and face care products take enough care of me to help me look young and fresh. I use their bath and body products as well which help my skin get nourished and look soft and supple without any lines. My wrinkles and any pigmentation patches are also going.
It really depends on your skin type. I'd recommend searching on makeupalley and filtering the reviews by your skin type.
Used to get breakouts all the time, which left marks; now I use the decleor face wash and hardly ever break out, plus the marks are slowly fading.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unfortunately, I can't guarantee what helps me combat breakouts will work for you - it's hard recommending skincare products because everyone's skin reacts differently. (Just because you have the same skin type as someone still doesn't mean a product will work the same for both of you)

I'm probably sure you're already aware but acne is *usually* caused by a hormone imbalance, so personally I think you have to treat it from the inside as well as the outside.

I advice:
reducing your intake of dairy foods temporarily, as several acne sufferers see an improvement in their skin when they do.
Don't over exfoliate your skin!! It's tempting to want to try several treatments with acne but over exfoliation can cause irritation which can also lead to more breakouts. (Also, I prefer chemical exfoliants such as BHAs/AHAs to manual exfoliants such as abrasive scrubs because sometimes scrubs can be too harshe on your skin, scratching it and causing tiny grooves which are perfect for more bacteria to harbour. Stay away from harshe scrubs like st ives apricot scrub, gentle ones are okay)
Try drinking herbal teas such as green tea or spearmint tea, and increasing your water intake to flush out toxins.
Reply 15
Hey, we've just written a winter skincare review on our blog, so feel free to check it out! :biggrin:

http://sbw-d.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/blogmas-day-3-skincare-for-winter.html

A&K xx
witch hazel ( hamamelis ) is an inexpensive skin treat.
Original post by AmyBurge

Posted from TSR Mobile

I use exactly the same and my skin has never been better! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always used to feel that a scrub means something that will scrub your skin like a sand paper. But I was proven wrong when I used Sakare's Deep Cleansing Salt Scrub. It's not at all harsh on my skin and makes it smooth and glowing. I'm soon going to buy another pack of it.
Some other face products I swear by (combo skin, mild breakout prone skin and lots of spot scarring):

- Aloe Vera. I have a plant and a 99.99% gel, and it works so good to reduce any redness around spots which can be hard to cover up with makeup. I dab a little on red spots and watch redness disappear as it soaks in.

- Vicco Turmeric Cream. Natural products are the best because they don't contain chemicals or any of that nasty stuff and this works well, it's a matte cream so I love it and helps face stay oil free for six hours, plus it helps with spots and scarring and general evening of the skin tone.

- Neem. This is literally my HG substance. I love it. I make a paste of Neem powder and water and when I first used it within three days my spots cleared up, I hear it works well for all sorts of acne and again with scarring.

I also hear that the Body Shop's Seaweed range is good, although I am tempted I don't know how I feel about forking out for it..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending