The Student Room Group

The perma ban

Excuse me if I make a glaringly obvious mistake here but as far as I undetstand the IP address is the adress of one router so does that not meen that if you had trolls from a university halls ect they could get the entire uni perma band or at least that one hall.does tsr do anything to stop this occurring?
Also is there a time limit to a perma ban? As if the IP switches hands an someone wants to use TSR for good reasons how would they undo the damage caused by the previous uset

Posted from TSR Mobile
You assume we use IP bans as a matter of course. We're clever enough not to ban an entire university because of the actions of one individual.
Reply 2
Original post by Potally_Tissed
You assume we use IP bans as a matter of course. We're clever enough not to ban an entire university because of the actions of one individual.

Good I just got worried it might happen to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

Yes. That would be totally disproportionate. A bit like removing the neg rep button because of an unverified complaint that it might be used for bullying.
Reply 4
Original post by Aph
Good I just got worried it might happen to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why you thinking of getting perm banned and restricting your university peers from using TSR?
I know from my previous toils on wikipedia, quite a lot of Universities and schools have their IP ranges perma-blocked from editing wikipedia after repeated vandalism and trolling...
If people create a user account they can still edit though.
Reply 6
Original post by David B
Why you thinking of getting perm banned and restricting your university peers from using TSR?

I'm thinking they might have got me perma banned

Posted from TSR Mobile

i wouldnt put anything past the genius of the Mods
They still need to introduce MAC address banning.

Although, that can't happen, since the MAC information is restricted to ISPs :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Binary Freak

Although, that can't happen, since the MAC information is restricted to ISPs :rolleyes:

Thanks for the helpful suggestion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Binary Freak

You can change/spoof your MAC address anyway, in some ways more freely than you can change your IP address, so it's not a great way of banning someone.
Original post by secretmessages
You can change/spoof your MAC address anyway, in some ways more freely than you can change your IP address, so it's not a great way of banning someone.

It's not something the average user is capable of, given that it requires the user to have an understanding of Nmap, or registry editing.

Furthermore, as I mentioned it's not actually possible to ban MAC addresses anyway, since they're confined to the LAN and ISP. Even if it was possible, it'd take the user far longer to spoof the MAC address than what it takes for a moderator to ban someone.

It was a failed idea, hence the reason for editing my post. :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aph

Also is there a time limit to a perma ban?

No. A perman-ban is just that - permanent.
Original post by Clip
Yes. That would be totally disproportionate. A bit like removing the neg rep button because of an unverified complaint that it might be used for bullying.

Repped:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending