The Student Room Group

AS Integration-easy question----i'm still stuck!

Please could someone help me out here:

A curve is such that, dy/dx= 12/x*3(cubed)-2 (sorry guys, Idk how to do the fraction symbol)
Given that the curve passes the point (1,5), find the equation of the curve.

Thanks a lot
Reply 1
Original post by wallflower#1

You'll have to integrate the expression, so that you have an expression with an arbitrary constant. Then, given the points provided, (x1,y1)(x_1, y_1) you let the expression equal y1y_1 and you plug in x1x_1, to ascertain the arbitrary constant.
Reply 2
Umm..I'm still new to the topic...so how do we integrate??:s-smilie:
Reply 3

In this case, it'd probably be more beneficial for you to look over integration first—ExamSolutions would be of use.
Reply 4
okay, thanks anyways

If you want to integrate axnax^n with respect to xx and n1n \neq -1 you end up with axn+1n+1+k\displaystyle \frac{ax^{n+1}}{n+1} + k where k is a constant. If you differentiate the answer you should see why the constant is necessary.

Some people remember this by saying things like:

Add one to the power and divide by the new power

or the yucky but memorable

Add one more and drop it through the trapdoor
Reply 6
Original post by Mr M
If you want to integrate axnax^n with respect to xx and n1n \neq -1 you end up with axn+1n+1+k\displaystyle \frac{ax^{n+1}}{n+1} + k where k is a constant. If you differentiate the answer you should see why the constant is necessary.

Some people remember this by saying things like:

Add one to the power and divide by the new power

or the yucky but memorable

Add one more and drop it through the trapdoor

Ohhh...I think I'm starting to remember what we're supposed to do....okie...thanks for the help

Haven't you finished AS yet?
Reply 8
Original post by thechemistress
Haven't you finished AS yet?

I'm actually in year 11(GCSE level) but i'm doing an AS course in Maths and we've just picked up on integration.

Quick Reply

Latest