The Student Room Group

Change.org complains about drink/rape poster

Change.org has requested, nay demanded, the removal of an NHS poster that says
1 in 3 reported rapes happens when the victim has been drinking
https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/jeremy-hunt-nhs-home-office-remove-all-copies-of-this-poster-and-stop-victim-blaming?utm_source=action_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=108770&alert_id=IYTRFLIuva_flzlKaZWyAr52DaBDzaPNQmQnQz0j7gFW2q5XDHT2iKI3SeetDWGvonzdyjvXt51 Change.org says that this is "victim-blaming". If it's true, I don't see how it can be victim-blaming. If you are not drunk, you are less likely to get into a situation where something like that happens. These rape activists are putting their fatuous ideology over and above reality, and it's not like there aren't real rape and womens' rights problems in the world that need to be addressed :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's completely absurd and this "victim blaming" thing is becoming dangerous. I don't go to certain parts of Glasgow at night because of there is a higher chance of me being stabbed, just as there would be a higher chance of a drunk girl being raped. I wouldn't be offended if someone told me I should avoid these areas, but woe betide anyone who offers the same advice to a feminist.
Stating a fact is now "victim blaming", apparently.

I despair that such a large number of people are stupid enough to sign the petition.
So, if I was parading around my iPhone late at night and it gets stolen, it's never my fault that it does?

Getting drunk does increase the risk of crime happening to you. Not just rape but being stabbed and being stolen from. The two latter ones are OK for a poster but apparently the first one causes outrage.
This anti victim blaming bull**** is legitimately dangerous, it's going to get more and more people into situations where such things can happen. Can we just do the righteous thing and exile all feminists to a ****ty island somewhere
All women, walk around after dark, alone, wearing next to nothing, pissed out of your face down every single dark alley, and when something happens, it still won't be your fault.

The person who rapes you will NOT get a letter sentence, they will NOT be able to put the blame on you, it will NOT be your fault.

But you CAN reduce your chances by using your ****ing brain, shouting at people who are trying to help won't do much.

The idiocy of feminists genuinely does know no bounds.

Next time the police tell me not to leave my wallet on my dashboard I am going to start a petition.
If you drink (excessively) you are ALWAYS going to make yourself more at risk of any crime, your judgement is more impaired and you are more likely to make decisions that will increase your risk of criminal victimisation. This is common sense, this is not saying that women should not drink, but it is a warning about drinking excessively and the risks involved in that.
67k signatures...
Reply 8
ok I don't really know about this if someone is raped when drunk it is not at all there fault. being drunk however can make it harder to fight of a rapist or imperia perceptions of danger. but it is still the rapist that commits the crime. in incidents were someone has been taken advantage of it could be they have been supplied drinks stronger than expected or even spiked and again this really isn't there fault. it is important however to tell people how to be able to avoid sexual assault in a way witch doesn't demonise those witch suffer it. perhaps in the case of the poster the information could have been presented in a moor sensitive way.
I also feel unconvertible with people using this to attack feminism and dismiss it completely there is a lot of misinformation on the subject that is often boiled down to an inaccurate stereotype witch clouds some resemble ideas however this is not to say it is without its issues but these should not be used to dismiss it as a hole
I read a while back that the number of women tested positively for a daterape drug after waking up with a guy and not remembering the night before was tiny, (it may have been zero) They had mostly drunk themselves into oblivion. Their alcohol levels were sky high. Sorry no link.
Why do feminists and the people of the rape industry want these basic facts kept from women? You would think giving them this information would empower them and enable them to defend themselves.
If there was a park that was a known haunt of rapists and the police warned women to avoid it, we would be hearing " why should we avoid that park? Why should we take another route stop giving that advice out."
Its madness. Its almost like they dont want the rape figures to go down.

I don't lock my house, because I shouldn't have to. People should be taught not to steal. It is not my fault for leaving it exposed with nothing to stop people from just walking in.
Original post by young_guns
Change.org has requested, nay demanded, the removal of an NHS poster that says https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/jeremy-hunt-nhs-home-office-remove-all-copies-of-this-poster-and-stop-victim-blaming?utm_source=action_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=108770&alert_id=IYTRFLIuva_flzlKaZWyAr52DaBDzaPNQmQnQz0j7gFW2q5XDHT2iKI3SeetDWGvonzdyjvXt51 Change.org says that this is "victim-blaming". If it's true, I don't see how it can be victim-blaming. If you are not drunk, you are less likely to get into a situation where something like that happens. These rape activists are putting their fatuous ideology over and above reality, and it's not like there aren't real rape and womens' rights problems in the world that need to be addressed :rolleyes:

I don't think this is victim-blaming, it's just giving advice so that they can protect themselves from it happening, since rapists get those who are vulnerable, and being drunk is a vulnerability.
Reminds me of this fight for social justice:

This would be hilarious if it didn't have so many signatures. These people are bordering on delusional... obviously you're not to blame if you get raped; the rapist has to take responsibility. But that doesn't make giving factual advice "victim blaming". Whoever wrote this petition is clearly a ****ing idiot, not only for blindly branding this "victim blaming", but also for claiming it is "threatening with rape by implication". They go even further though, and in fact reveal themselves as a sexist **** - they call it hateful and misogynistic.

I wish feminazis would actually think about what they say and write rather than just spewing vague nonsense periodically spaced with buzzwords (/phrases) like "rape culture", "mysognistic" etc. etc..
'Victim blaming' seem to apply only to crimes against females. I don't see feminists up in arms over advert like this:

Original post by thesabbath
Reminds me of this fight for social justice:

:clap2:

This is fantastic!

The number of signatures is horrifying, and demonstrates how feminism is losing all rationality and becoming a cult.
"The number of signatures is horrifying, and demonstrates how feminism is losing all rationality and becoming a cult."

Literally thousands of young women are churned out of uni's every year having completed womens studies courses and being indoctrinated into this mindset.
Ofcourse it isnt victim blaming, but the new leaders of the feminist lobby would rather stick their heads in the sand than reduce the womens chances of being a victim by arming them with all the facts.
Women should be able to walk through a town centre after midnight blind drunk and alone without molestation, but digracefully, in the real world they cant without increasing the odds on being attacked.
Likewise leaving a club, staggering drunk, to go back with somebody you hardly know shouldnt mean they are any less safe, but in the real world it does mean that.
What I find disgusting that people who make a living from supposedly helping women avoiding becoming another statistic would rather stick to their dogma than let them know all the facts.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by pane123
'Victim blaming' seem to apply only to crimes against females. I don't see feminists up in arms over advert like this:

I used to think like this. I used to think a lot of the victim blaming was BS. And I guess there is a place where you draw a line, in terms of responsibilty. But I feel like the only reason why anyone would think a non-consensual attack on female & a property theft is comparable, is because females are still seen as property to some extent.

Original post by Truths
I used to think like this. I used to think a lot of the victim blaming was BS. And I guess there is a place where you draw a line, in terms of responsibilty. But I feel like the only reason why anyone would think a non-consensual attack on female & a property theft is comparable, is because females are still seen as property to some extent.

That's an absolutely ridiculous point.

Advice like "don't get too drunk" applies to men as well (eg increasing their risk of being mugged) - you're going to be more at risk if you're in a vulnerable state.
Reply 19
Original post by Chief Wiggum
That's an absolutely ridiculous point.

Advice like "don't get too drunk" applies to men as well (eg increasing their risk of being mugged) - you're going to be more at risk if you're in a vulnerable state.

Again with the property analogy, as if a wallet is interchangeable to a woman's well being. I could understand blaming someone for being irresponsible with their possessions but not for people, sorry no. But you don't blame the victim for unprovoked assault just because you feel it could have been prevented.

Quick Reply

Latest