The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Anonymous
I will be friends with anyone so long as theyre a nice, interesting person - no matter what they look like. You can go out with someone for whats inside etc, but if you don't find them attractive and think theyre "below" you, then I dont think it will work. I do think there is a league, nobody can say they don't judge. Personal opinion also plays a part, a very pretty girl could see herself as a "5" and someone deemed less attractive could see themselves as an "8" therefore having the confidence to speak to the pretty girl.

Has anyone ever thought that if people are too scared to approach "pretty girls" that they may in fact be getting less attention than others. Also agree that you can be the most stunning person in the world but none of that matters if youre rubbish to be around.

It reminds me of the scene in scrubs

'I bet you're one of those girls who's so pretty, nobody ever dares to ask you out.'

'No people ask me out all the time.'

It's true.
Reply 61
I don't think that any guy can get any girl (or vice versa) but I do believe that so-called leagues have nothing to do with looks,

Well that's obvious. When guys think they're too ugly to get a girl or when they think that they're amazingly good-looking because they can get loads of girls, they miss the whole point that few girls go for simple natural good looks. Firstly, most girls can't even agree on what constitutes good looks.

Girls don't go for looks, they go style and confidence and do "types". They all want a guy who represents something and is confident in what they represent: a musician, an intellectual, a tough guy, an emo geek, whatever. As long as they represent what they want in a guy, looks take secondary priority.
Reply 62
there was this girl who came to our high school half way through, from australia. she was beautiful. everybody wanted her. but somehow i got her to like me.. and i'm not Mr. Goodlookin' USA.
no one is out of my league. at the same time, i know my chances with beyonce are slim.
three things that make someone fine date material: looks, brains/ personality and how you present yourself.
There are leagues. Up unitl about 18 it is largely based on looks. But other things do play a factor.

After this age there are other factors involved such as personalitly, job, money, ambition, futre plans...
Nick R
Had this discussion with a (female) friend of mine the other day.

She basically said no-one is out of anyones league.

Now I'm a loud, confident guy who will generally talk to anyone. And whilst I'm no Brad Pitt, I'm also no elephant man.

Still, wherever I am, its sometimes hard to approach a very pretty girl. The ones in my class at college and that I work with is obviously easy but just out generally...I'd even be a bit intimidated just talking to one as a mate incase they got the wrong idea because they will be used to guys chatting them up.

What do the pretty ones amognst you think when you approached by a guy that is not considered 'pretty'?

There is nothing worse in the world than pretty girls who know it and make it seem like they are better than you.The ones who will only have pretty friends etc...

I'm trying to find a point but I've lost it.

Thoughys?
well i mean i suppose there are leagues, but it depends on what kind of person you are, afterall there are some people that find people solely attractive because of their personality.

TBH though i mean people have said that im pretty, but noone ever approaches me, ugly or handsome! Apparently i dont frequent the right places, so i dunno. But i mean i would give any guy a chance, seeing as they had the confidence to approach me. I would love it tbh!
I disagree on the whole "confidence" thing. Its much more to do with "a lack of insecurity".

Girl leagues...its a mental block, a mind virus, they don't really exist. The barriers that do exist - most are not based on looks, its mostly based on charisma - or more specifically the ability to be cocky and confident but still make them laugh, smile and feel good - in my view as a not so good looking guy myself
AdrirDarklance
I disagree on the whole "confidence" thing. Its much more to do with "a lack of insecurity".

Girl leagues...its a mental block, a mind virus, they don't really exist. The barriers that do exist - most are not based on looks, its mostly based on personality, from my view as a not so good looking guy myself.

well i find confidence attractive, seeing as a guy had the guts to come upto me and chat, opposed to sitting by myself with men looking at me, but not having the guts to talk!
unfinished sympathy
well i find confidence attractive, seeing as a guy had the guts to come upto me and chat, opposed to sitting by myself with men looking at me, but not having the guts to talk!

You have made a good point. I have been following this thread and I have to agree with AdrirDarklance. It seems to be a mental block, this whole issue. I guess, if you look at it into perspective , all it really boils down to is the "fear of rejection", once the guy can overcome that and accept that some girls will fancy him, whilst others won't (regardless of their level of fitness); it is easy from that point on. A lot of guys wont "try" at all, due to them not being able to overcome the above fear so will use excuses such as "ohhh she is out of my league, so I wont bother"
xyz2k6
You have made a good point. I have been following this thread and I have to agree with AdrirDarklance. It seems to be a mental block, this whole issue. I guess, if you look at it into perspective , all it really boils down to is the "fear of rejection", once the guy can overcome that and accept that some girls will fancy him, whilst others won't (regardless of their level of fitness); it is easy from that point on. A lot of guys wont "try" at all, due to them not being able to overcome the above fear so will use excuses such as "ohhh she is out of my league, so I wont bother"

:p: git :wink:
unfinished sympathy
:p: git :wink:

rep? :p:
xyz2k6
rep? :p:

just repped ya :p:
unfinished sympathy
just repped ya :p:

Why thank you, it was for a good cause :wink: :p:
youre still a git though :wink:
unfinished sympathy
youre still a git though :wink:

Thank you for the compliment :smile: I am chuffed.
xyz2k6
Thank you for the compliment :smile: I am chuffed.

youre picking up my phrases :p:

Im slowly yorkshirefying you :p: *laughs evily*

soon youll be saying stuff like- well go ta foot o'our stairs :wink:
unfinished sympathy
youre picking up my phrases :p:

Im slowly yorkshirefying you :p: *laughs evily*

soon youll be saying stuff like- well go ta foot o'our stairs :wink:

can you go and put the kettle on love?

Is that Laurel and Hardy in your avater? - I love em!
xyz2k6
can you go and put the kettle on love?

nah, make your own cuppas :p:

if your with someone long wnough with an accent you pick it up y'know :p:
xyz2k6

going back to the point though-

that means that some girls will never ever get approached then, cos most lads could think that all girls are out of their leagues!

the future doesnt look orange, it looks bleak :frown:
Reply 78
xyz2k6

True, many use 'league' as an excuse for not approaching. In my understanding league is more of a standard you are expected to meet. And when you fail to meet those, i.e. you are not as smart/funny/handsome/entertaining/etc. (for every1 it is different) as most guys who approach that girl you become uninteresting and boring to be with. Like I said before, you can work on yourself and improve skills you need, but that is a different topic.
unfinished sympathy
nah, make your own cuppas :p:

if your with someone long wnough with an accent you pick it up y'know :p:

Yes...indeed, makes me wonder why you haven't picked up a southern english accent yet :biggrin: (well I suppose using the word "git" is a start) :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending