The Student Room Group

Would you ever consider visiting a psychic?

I study science so I'm very scientifically minded and I'm an atheist but I have to admit that a part of me has always been interested in spiritual stuff like ghosts, psychics and astrology.

So my mum told me she has seen 3 psychics about 10 years ago. She said one of them was clearly a fraud. But everything that the other 2 psychics told her came true so far. (I think it was tarot readings for anyone interested)

I know how a lot of these fraud psychics work. They try to get as much information out of you and repeat what you've told them to make you think it's all coming from them. A lot of stuff they say can be very vague and can be applied to everyone. But I'm sure there must be some genuine ones out there.

The stuff my mum was told was so specific and personal it absolutely could not have been possible for it to just be a lucky guess. My mum was careful not to say anything to them not to give anything away about her life which goes without saying.

I just wanted to hear other people's opinions/experiences. No rude comments please, everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter what your views are.

Scroll to see replies

I might just for fun, but I don't think that it's a good idea to go to a Psychic for serious advice.
Reply 2
I knew you were going to ask this question!
Reply 3
Original post by purple_panther
A lot of stuff they say can be very vague and can be applied to everyone. But I'm sure there must be some genuine ones out there.

Genuine psychics do not exist. There are several cash prizes for anyone who can prove psychic ability under scientific test conditions, yet the prizes remain unclaimed.
Only to laugh at them, and the mugs that give these charlatans the time of day.
I did. He told me that my dead grandmother had bought me my car :lolwut: he also talked about my incredibly long term relationship which was weird as I was about 20. To have been with someone for 6 years at 20 is a weird thing to guess about a stranger.

I must point out that he didn't have my name before we saw him, my friend booked it and a few of us turned up. He told my friend that she cares for someone in an unusual way, in away that someone her age shouldn't have to as the responsibility should lie with someone else. She is basically a mother to her little sister, she took her sister to live with her because her mother is a drug addict and an abuser.

It was weird. My friends boyfriend came home from work while he was reading one of us, he told him his grampa watched him at his last match, he is a fighter. So weird.
Never. I believe in God and His plans, not some person who 'thinks' they know.
Original post by pane123
Genuine psychics do not exist. There are several cash prizes for anyone who can prove psychic ability under scientific test conditions, yet the prizes remain unclaimed.

Then how do you explain the psychic that told my mum her future and details about her past that no stranger could possibly know?

I'm not talking about psychics who claim to be able to read minds or see through walls but ones that use cards and astrology and can 'sense' stuff about you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Then how do you explain the psychic that told my mum her future and details about her past that no stranger could possibly know?

I'm not talking about psychics who claim to be able to read minds or see through walls but ones that use cards and astronomy.

I can't say without having seen the reading your mum was given, but there will be an explanation. Psychics aren't a new phenomenon and every technique they use has been debunked.

And I think you mean "astrology", as opposed to "astronomy". Astrology is a pseudoscience that is rejected by the scientific community.
Subjective validation.

It's at the same intellectual level as fairies at the bottom of the garden.
Reply 10
I'd play along with everything they said and right at the end just tell them I made it all up.
Original post by pane123
I can't say without having seen the reading your mum was given, but there will be an explanation. Psychics aren't a new phenomenon and every technique they use has been debunked.

And I think you mean "astrology", as opposed to "astronomy". Astrology is a pseudoscience that is rejected by the scientific community.

Haha indeed I did. I already corrected it:colondollar:
Nope.
No, I wouldn't. I'm too scientifically minded to even consider this...
Original post by DeceitfulDove
I did. He told me that my dead grandmother had bought me my car :lolwut: he also talked about my incredibly long term relationship which was weird as I was about 20. To have been with someone for 6 years at 20 is a weird thing to guess about a stranger.

I must point out that he didn't have my name before we saw him, my friend booked it and a few of us turned up. He told my friend that she cares for someone in an unusual way, in away that someone her age shouldn't have to as the responsibility should lie with someone else. She is basically a mother to her little sister, she took her sister to live with her because her mother is a drug addict and an abuser.

It was weird. My friends boyfriend came home from work while he was reading one of us, he told him his grampa watched him at his last match, he is a fighter. So weird.

That's really interesting. That's what I mean it's little random details like this that are specific to one person. You were really lucky to come across a genuine psychic like that. Did she read your future or just your past?
I study science so I'm very scientifically minded...But I'm sure there must be some genuine ones out there.

I have done a "psychic" reading for some students doing a TV project on this (I was the skeptic voice). I managed to tell them specific, personal things about their lives and their families, including plans for the summer that no-one else knew. None of it was psychic.

If you think you know the psychic's techniques, please tell us, because they probably go much, much further than you realise.
That's really interesting. That's what I mean it's little random details like this that are specific to one person. You were really lucky to come across a genuine psychic like that. Did she read your future or just your past?

"Genuine psychic" is an oxymoron.
Original post by just a dad
"Genuine psychic" is an oxymoron.

Don't be such a sceptic. I'm guessing you've not had no experience with psychics before but if one of them told you something very specific about your past (or future and it came true) it would surely make you think or become more open minded about it. Like I said I'm not talking about mind readers or people who claim to know lottery numbers and of course I know that there are plenty of frauds out there.
Don't be such a sceptic. I'm guessing you've not had no experience with psychics before but if one of them told you something very specific about your past (or future and it came true) it would surely make you think or become more open minded about it. Like I said I'm not talking about mind readers or people who claim to know lottery numbers and of course I know that there are plenty of frauds out there.

Being 'sceptical' of psychics is like being 'sceptical' of unicorns. You have nothing more than anecdotal evidence to support your claims of their existence.

I know a psychic, my partner used to work with her. It's total nonsense.

Quick Reply

Latest