The Student Room Group

I am from Galicia (NW Spain), ask me anything

Seeing that everyone is opening threads like this, I also open my own thread to tell something about Galicia and galicians...so let's go :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by castelo
Seeing that everyone is opening threads like this, I also open my own thread to tell something about Galicia and galicians...so let's go :smile:

How well do you speak Galician?
If you do, how well do you understand Portuguese?
Is it closer to Portuguese or Spanish?
How many identifiably Celtic things are there in Galician life and what are they?
Did you know the word Galician is from the word Gaelic, as in the Irish Celtic language?
Reply 2
Do you like turtles?
Reply 3
Original post by Harrie Lyons
How well do you speak Galician?
If you do, how well do you understand Portuguese?
Is it closer to Portuguese or Spanish?
How many identifiably Celtic things are there in Galician life and what are they?
Did you know the word Galician is from the word Gaelic, as in the Irish Celtic language?

It's my mother tongue. Besides, I speak spanish and english and I understand catalan and french.

About portuguese, for me it's like galician North of Porto. But lisboeta "sotaque" it's hard to understand. Thick accent, like aberdonian :frown:.

Regrettably, Galician nowadays is closer to spanish than portuguese. This is because spanish was the main education language in Galicia.

About celtic life....I think there is no such a deep Bond with irish or scottish, even if we play pipes and we have a rainy weather :smile:. I think our closest bond is with portuguese people, but this is my opinion.

And about your last question yeah, I know that :smile:.
Reply 4

Original post by AngelPhys
Do you like turtles?

I prefer dogs :smile:
Original post by castelo
It's my mother tongue. Besides, I speak spanish and english and I understand catalan and french.

About portuguese, for me it's like galician North of Porto. But lisboeta "sotaque" it's hard to understand. Thick accent, like aberdonian :frown:.

Regrettably, Galician nowadays is closer to spanish than portuguese. This is because spanish was the main education language in Galicia.

About celtic life....I think there is no such a deep Bond with irish or scottish, even if we play pipes and we have a rainy weather :smile:. I think our closest bond is with portuguese people, but this is my opinion.

And about your last question yeah, I know that :smile:.

What about Brazilian Portuguese, can you understand tha well?
Is it overcast a lot then the British isles?
Still I salute a fellow Gael :biggrin: (in name at least)
Reply 6
What about Brazilian Portuguese, can you understand tha well?
Is it overcast a lot then the British isles?
Still I salute a fellow Gael :biggrin: (in name at least)

Normally, better than lisboeta portuguese, but in Brazil you have also a lot of different accents.

I dont understand exactly your secondary question. Do you refer to the weather or to the alleged bond between galicians and irish/scottish?

My best wishes to you as well, from which part of the British Isles are you?
Original post by castelo
Normally, better than lisboeta portuguese, but in Brazil you have also a lot of different accents.

I dont understand exactly your secondary question. Do you refer to the weather or to the alleged bond between galicians and irish/scottish?

My best wishes to you as well, from which part of the British Isles are you?

Makes sense, personally I think Brazilian is the best sounding dialect , lisboeta sounds kinda Slavic tbh while Brazilian sounds kinda Celtic IMO, maybe because of the celts in Galicia?
The weather, does the countyside look like Britain and have similar weather
I'm English bit my family is from Ireland
Original post by castelo

What is your view of Basque and Catalan people.
Reply 9
Original post by TheAnusFiles
What is your view of Basque and Catalan people.

I usually work wíth basques, nice folks :smile:. Galicians and Basques get along quite well. About catalans, quite different from us galicians. That's my opinion.
Original post by castelo
I usually work wíth basques, nice folks :smile:. Galicians and Basques get along quite well. About catalans, quite different from us galicians. That's my opinion.

What does España actually mean? Is it just another word for Castilla, or does Spain need all the other regions to call itself Spain? I have never known this.
Reply 11
What football team do you and whos your favourite player?
Reply 12
Makes sense, personally I think Brazilian is the best sounding dialect , lisboeta sounds kinda Slavic tbh while Brazilian sounds kinda Celtic IMO, maybe because of the celts in Galicia?
The weather, does the countyside look like Britain and have similar weather
I'm English bit my family is from Ireland

About the countryside I think is quite similar to british countryside....but we have a proper summer. I was in scotland last year and in the last week of july i have two rainy days. That is quite strange in july in Galicia, at least in the Southern part.
Reply 13
Original post by TheAnusFiles
What does España actually mean? Is it just another word for Castilla, or does Spain need all the other regions to call itself Spain? I have never known this.

Spanish nationalists would say that "España" is the sum of all territories. But for me Galicia is a different entity from Spain. But this is not what the majority of galicians think. This is not Catalonia or Basque Country in terms of national identity.
Original post by castelo
Spanish nationalists would say that "España" is the sum of all territories. But for me Galicia is a different entity from Spain. But this is not what the majority of galicians think. This is not Catalonia or Basque Country in terms of national identity.

Reply 15
Original post by Zeroic
What football team do you and whos your favourite player?

I dont like football a lot, but i support Celta Vigo.
Reply 16
Original post by castelo
I dont like football a lot, but i support Celta Vigo.

haha cool, is it true that kids as young as 14 are allowed to drive mopeds there?
What are your views on goat throwing in Spain..?
Reply 18
Original post by Zeroic
haha cool, is it true that kids as young as 14 are allowed to drive mopeds there?

When I was younger yes, it was true. I dont know how the law is nowadays, to be honest.
Reply 19
Original post by Limpopo
What are your views on goat throwing in Spain..?

We dont follow such a "tradition" here in Galicia.

Quick Reply

Latest