The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not all tattoos are there just for show. Some are actually meaningful (like in commemoration of a loved one's death)so some people don't mind if it's covered up.
Reply 2
Why do you ask stupid questions?
Reply 3
Original post by Joan5626
Not all tattoos are there just for show. Some are actually meaningful (like in commemoration of a loved one's death)so some people don't mind if it's covered up.

I still don't get it, is the idea that if you put a tattoo of someone dead, you are somehow more respectful towards them?
Reply 4
Original post by Armin.
Why do you ask stupid questions?

That in itself is a stupid question.
Original post by Joan5626

This, also some people would rather have tattoos in areas they can easily cover due to jobs etc.
Reply 6
Original post by Precious Illusions
This, also some people would rather have tattoos in areas they can easily cover due to jobs etc.

That I understand, but why does it have to be painted on the body to be meaningful to you?
Original post by hihoho
That I understand, but why does it have to be painted on the body to be meaningful to you?

I suppose it's just a form of remembrance :dontknow:
Reply 8
Original post by Precious Illusions
I suppose it's just a form of remembrance :dontknow:

Then tattoos should only be for those suffering from alzheimer's.
Because they look great when your skin gets saggy :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hihoho
I still don't get it, is the idea that if you put a tattoo of someone dead, you are somehow more respectful towards them?

Yes, it goes to the concept that beyond merely remembering them you have ingrained an aspect or representation of them into your very body, that a momento of them is part of you constantly, never to be forgotten always to be carried.
Tattoos are pretty awesome, getting them is fun, and they're proven to make you 110% cooler than you were before getting them. So basically that.

And if no one can see them then you aren't spending enough time naked.
I'm planning my first at the moment. I hear what Joan said but I don't believe in tattoos as memorials, taht seems pretty cringeworthy unless there's a visual/aesthetic reason to it.

Honestly the best reason to ink is for the aesthetic appeal. Plenty of people find it ugly and think it's for lower class, uneducated scumbaggery and you're free to do so but most just want to make a cool piece of art out of a portion of their body. Even if you wouldn't commit to a tat yourself try not assuming that everyone with one is off to mug your granny. Mostly they just don't give a ****.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Zen Baphomet
Yes, it goes to the concept that beyond merely remembering them you have ingrained an aspect or representation of them into your very body, that a momento of them is part of you constantly, never to be forgotten always to be carried.

Sounds like branding yourself, why would anyone be branded unless it generates cash.
Original post by hihoho
Sounds like branding yourself, why would anyone be branded unless it generates cash.

Religious reasons, spiritual reasons, emotional and personal motivation.

A whole host of reasons.
Reply 15
Religious reasons, spiritual reasons, emotional and personal motivation.

A whole host of reasons.

That does not make them reasonable.
Original post by hihoho
That does not make them reasonable.

You never asked for reasonable reasons.

Human beings are largely, emotional, illogical and generally irrational creatures, far more motivated by personal whims and changing emotions than Vulcan Logic.

Why would you expect essentially unreasonable creatures to have reasonable motivations for aesthetics?
(edited 9 years ago)
Tattoos are illogical. Taste and aesthetics cannot be deduced through mathematical reasoning. *is a robot*
They are pieces of art :smile: I don't get why people moan about generic and overrated tattoos and the 'but it won't look nice when you are in your 60's.' Well guess what, neither will you. Worry about your own life instead of someone else's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
You never asked for reasonable reasons.

Human beings are largely, emotional, illogical and generally irrational creatures, far more motivated by personal whims and changing emotions than Vulcan Logic.

Why would you expect essentially unreasonable creatures to have reasonable motivations for aesthetics?

I am not expecting anything that's why I asked, there might be something logical to it.

Latest