The Student Room Group

Girls, 6 months worth of clothes to wear?

Okay it does look like a silly question, but when I move out I need to take clothes that im actually going to wear.

So girls. How much clothes do you wear/use in 3-6 months this includes shoes. Have you ever repeated an outfit etc. You will be great help to me. If I take my whole wardrobe I am going to need a huge suitcase.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
help me
I took about 60% of my clothes to uni. Didn't care about repeating outfits, nobody will notice or care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Look at what you actually wear; take everything out of your wardrobe and make piles such as "I will wear this/I might wear this/I won't wear this"

You don't need to take everything. If there's something you have to convince yourself to bring then chances are you won't wear it. I'd focus on bringing comfortable clothes and then maybe some nicer things for going out at night. The fact is everyone will be in the same boat; they won't have brought everything. They'll be repeating outfits so why shouldn't you?

I'm starting uni in September, so I'm having a similar crisis. Except mine is with shoes.
(edited 9 years ago)
I made the mistake of taking a lot of cothes. I didn't wear approximately 40% of them so during the Christmas holidays I had to take them home. I would advise you to organise your clothes into a series of outfits that you can rotate on a two/three week basis. For exampe, I have 20 outfits (I sometimes mix and match items from different outfits) and I probably repeat the outfits once every two/three weeks. Ensure you have clothing for the weekends, going out etc..

With regards to shoes I have one pair that comes in different colours and I own 5 pairs of that shoe. I also have a pair of boots for Winter, 1 pair of Converse, 1 pair running shoes and 3 pairs of heels. For me, those are sufficient for the entire academic year.

In terms of numbers of each clothing items I took:

Skirts: 10
Dresses: 5
Blazers and Jackets: 10
Blouses: 15
T-shirts: (mainly for lounging/ sleeping in): 6
Fitted shirts: 5
Pyjamas: 3 pairs
Vests: 10
Hoodies: 3
Shoes: 11 pairs
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm thinking about this too. Also how many 'going out' sort of clothes/shoes to bring! Will probably end up doing the take everything out and see what I actually wear thing..
Feel like if i take little I'll want to buy more!!

Original post by Alumna
Okay it does look like a silly question, but when I move out I need to take clothes that im actually going to wear.

So girls. How much clothes do you wear/use in 3-6 months this includes shoes. Have you ever repeated an outfit etc. You will be great help to me. If I take my whole wardrobe I am going to need a huge suitcase.
I took an insane amount of clothes in first term and quickly realised I didn't wear half of them so took loads back to christmas. I'd say maybe as a guide

3 pairs of jeans
3 skirts
A few nice tops
5 or 6 casual tops
3 cardigans or jumpers
3 pairs of shorts
A few going out dresses
A jacket or light coat
2 pairs of trainers (converse/vans)
A pair of flip flops
A pair of smart flats
A pair of heels

You will be able to buy clothes when you're there. It's better to pack light than find you've got no room for everything when I you get there.
Reply 8
Original post by JodieH1996
I'm thinking about this too. Also how many 'going out' sort of clothes/shoes to bring! Will probably end up doing the take everything out and see what I actually wear thing..

Not a girl, but out of the 4 girls I live with, 1 will never wear anything she has already worn to a club unless it's several months later. The other 3 are pretty lax about repeating outfits and might wear the same thing a couple times a term when going out, or more. Truth is, most people won't notice if you repeat outfits, or even care if you do.
Original post by rebecca095
Feel like if i take little I'll want to buy more!!

I'm the same, and will have the loans in the bank so will just go for it and regret later!
Original post by Kre
Not a girl, but out of the 4 girls I live with, 1 will never wear anything she has already worn to a club unless it's several months later. The other 3 are pretty lax about repeating outfits and might wear the same thing a couple times a term when going out, or more. Truth is, most people won't notice if you repeat outfits, or even care if you do.

Not too bothered, but wouldn't want to wear the same thing for a week/two - more for freshers!
Reply 11
I have no idea how much I'll be bringing.

I need to buy a lot of new clothes though as I've recently sold/given away clothes that didn't fit/wear anymore so my wardrobe is lacking atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
11 pairs of shoes?
Original post by Technetium
I made the mistake of taking a lot of cothes. I didn't wear approximately 40% of them so during the Christmas holidays I had to take them home. I would advise you to organise your clothes into a series of outfits that you can rotate on a two/three week basis. For exampe, I have 20 outfits (I sometimes mix and match items from different outfits) and I probably repeat the outfits once every two/three weeks. Ensure you have clothing for the weekends, going out etc..

With regards to shoes I have one pair that comes in different colours and I own 5 pairs of that shoe. I also have a pair of boots for Winter, 1 pair of Converse, 1 pair running shoes and 3 pairs of heels. For me, those are sufficient for the entire academic year.

In terms of numbers of each clothing items I took:

Skirts: 10
Dresses: 5
Blazers and Jackets: 10
Blouses: 15
T-shirts: (mainly for lounging/ sleeping in): 6
Fitted shirts: 5
Pyjamas: 3 pairs
Vests: 10
Hoodies: 3
Shoes: 11 pairs

11 pairs of shoes? WTF? Are you a centipede?
Original post by BenAssirati
11 pairs of shoes? WTF? Are you a centipede?

:lol:

That's nothing. One of my friends took around 30 pairs; she had no room in her wardrobe for them so had to stash them under her bed and desk.
:lol:

That's nothing. One of my friends took around 30 pairs; she had no room in her wardrobe for them so had to stash them under her bed and desk.

:eek: What do you even use them for? I have a simple 3-pair system. One pair is for posh stuff like school or weddings, one is for casual stuff like parties or just going out, one is for sporty stuff.
The first few weeks of uni everyone makes an effort to dress up a bit for lectures (except during freshers were most people are too hungover to care haha) and then people just wear whatever, no one will notice if you wear the same thing more than once. Take a few sets that you feel comfortable in, remember you can mix and match as well so the same jeans with a different top will look different anyway! For going out just take the ones you feel most comfortable with, even if money is tight you will probably end up buying new bits and bobs throughout the year anyway. Rather than take everything take a bit and you can always bring more up with you during the term.
Original post by BenAssirati
:eek: What do you even use them for? I have a simple 3-pair system. One pair is for posh stuff like school or weddings, one is for casual stuff like parties or just going out, one is for sporty stuff.

5 of the pairs are the same shoe but in different colours so I just rotate them accordingly to match my outfits. I have one pair of boots for Winter that I wear (because the rain destroys my flats). I wear Converse to labs because I don't want to risk spilling something on my flats and I use the running shoes for Zumba/Running. The 3 pairs of heels are for when I feel like dressing up or I'm going to a Birthday dinner.
Original post by Shefflibs
The first few weeks of uni everyone makes an effort to dress up a bit for lectures (except during freshers were most people are too hungover to care haha) and then people just wear whatever, no one will notice if you wear the same thing more than once.

This was so obviously the case where I went to uni. During first term everyone was walking around my halls in full make up/far too much aftershave with their expensive branded clothes, by the end of the year it was no make up, primark tshirts and zebra onesies.
5 of the pairs are the same shoe but in different colours so I just rotate them accordingly to match my outfits. I have one pair of boots for Winter that I wear (because the rain destroys my flats). I wear Converse to labs because I don't want to risk spilling something on my flats and I use the running shoes for Zumba/Running. The 3 pairs of heels are for when I feel like dressing up or I'm going to a Birthday dinner.

I see...

Still confused why girls need so many.

Quick Reply