The Student Room Group

Is it worth self teaching AS further maths for economics degree?

So for A2 I'll be doing maths, economics and geography, and when I've finished maths I'll have done C1-C4, M1 and M2. So would it be worth teaching AS further maths so I have some knowledge of stats? The modules would be FP1, S1 and either D1 or S2.

Scroll to see replies

If you think you'll be able to manage with the additional workload, sure. It's not necessary, but it will definitely look good and will be helpful. Don't do D1.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
If you think you'll be able to manage with the additional workload, sure. It's not necessary, but it will definitely look good and will be helpful. Don't do D1.

Yeah the workload is my only concern, but would the stats at degree level be manageable without at least S1?
Original post by ZebraWindy
Yeah the workload is my only concern, but would the stats at degree level be manageable without at least S1?

I know nothing about stats at University, but S1 is really rather easy. I don't think that not having done S1 would be a big problem since you'll almost certainly be taught from scratch anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
I know nothing about stats at University, but S1 is really rather easy. I don't think that not having done S1 would be a big problem since you'll almost certainly be taught from scratch anyway.

Yeah you're probably right, thanks a lot :biggrin:
Reply 5
S2 is reaaallly fun. I self taught myself :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by rachu
S2 is reaaallly fun. I self taught myself :smile:

I've never heard anyone say stats is really fun :wink: I'm guessing you had done S1 before that? And how hard is it compared to the core modules and mechanics modules? (if you've done them)
Reply 7
Depends what unis you think you have a shot at getting into

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I've never heard anyone say stats is really fun :wink: I'm guessing you had done S1 before that? And how hard is it compared to the core modules and mechanics modules? (if you've done them)

Ohh I got into statistics hating it as well. I self taught AS further math for which i had to do FP1, M2 and S2. Not panning time properly (because i was too busy self teaching all of A2 math .. but i shouldn't be making excuses) M2 was utter crap. S2 is way more interesting than S1. S1 is so boring it makes watching CNN seem fun. You also get to see the real world applications when doing S2. Pure math is my one true love so i found C1, C2 extremely easy. C3 was a lot of fun. C4 was slightly harder because i again had less time to truly get to grips with it. M1 is a lot of fun if you like physics and math. But for many it can be hard at first. S2 i would say is more thinking based than S1( the calculator does most work for you in S1), a lot less mind numbing and easier than M1/M2.
Reply 9
Original post by Jkizer
Depends what unis you think you have a shot at getting into

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it depends on predicted grades, definitely York and Nottingham, maybe Warwick and Bristol if I can get that A*
Reply 10
Original post by rachu
Ohh I got into statistics hating it as well. I self taught AS further math for which i had to do FP1, M2 and S2. Not panning time properly (because i was too busy self teaching all of A2 math .. but i shouldn't be making excuses) M2 was utter crap. S2 is way more interesting than S1. S1 is so boring it makes watching CNN seem fun. You also get to see the real world applications when doing S2. Pure math is my one true love so i found C1, C2 extremely easy. C3 was a lot of fun. C4 was slightly harder because i again had less time to truly get to grips with it. M1 is a lot of fun if you like physics and math. But for many it can be hard at first. S2 i would say is more thinking based than S1( the calculator does most work for you in S1), a lot less mind numbing and easier than M1/M2.

Yeah I enjoyed core and M1, having just started C3 it seems a lot more fun than C2, I just need to remember all these trig identities :'). As for stats if it's easier than mechanics I could give it a go. I've already started self teaching FP1, I didn't have the intention of doing an AS in further maths when I started but it was recommended that I self teach it just in case I want to do economics and maths at uni.
Reply 11
Well it depends on predicted grades, definitely York and Nottingham, maybe Warwick and Bristol if I can get that A*

Nice choices.

Tbh from your initial selection, Warwick is probably the only uni which you might need AS further to help you through the application process. Everywhere else, I'm sure you stand a very good chance at getting an offer at - assuming you have decent subjects and grades

Just make sure the 3 extra maths exams don't get in your way of your main A2 exams if you do end up taking further (since the further maths is unlikely to count torwads your entry requirement)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Yeah I enjoyed core and M1, having just started C3 it seems a lot more fun than C2, I just need to remember all these trig identities :'). As for stats if it's easier than mechanics I could give it a go. I've already started self teaching FP1, I didn't have the intention of doing an AS in further maths when I started but it was recommended that I self teach it just in case I want to do economics and maths at uni.

I would also like to maybe caution you from doing D1 .. my friend's friend who just finished A2 did D1 for his AS further math and got the lowest in it! many people say it is quite easy to mess up that exam.

All the best with your studies!
Yes, but do it the summer before. Alternatively, have a look at some first year topics that involve statistics/FM, such as consumer theory, linear programming or matrix algebra.
Reply 14
Original post by rachu
I would also like to maybe caution you from doing D1 .. my friend's friend who just finished A2 did D1 for his AS further math and got the lowest in it! many people say it is quite easy to mess up that exam.

All the best with your studies!

Everyone on TSR seems to hate decision :') Thanks, you too!
Reply 15
Original post by little_wizard123
Yes, but do it the summer before. Alternatively, have a look at some first year topics that involve statistics/FM, such as consumer theory, linear programming or matrix algebra.

Oh that's a good idea, that way it won't interfere with my A2's
Oh that's a good idea, that way it won't interfere with my A2's

Plus you can just pick out the bits you need for Eco.
Reply 17
Original post by Jkizer
Nice choices.

Tbh from your initial selection, Warwick is probably the only uni which you might need AS further to help you through the application process. Everywhere else, I'm sure you stand a very good chance at getting an offer at - assuming you have decent subjects and grades

Just make sure the 3 extra maths exams don't get in your way of your main A2 exams if you do end up taking further (since the further maths is unlikely to count torwads your entry requirement)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, 6 maths exams, I'm amazed at how people can cope with it. I might be better off learning the content but not actually sitting the exams seeing as it won't count towards an offer anyway.
So for A2 I'll be doing maths, economics and geography, and when I've finished maths I'll have done C1-C4, M1 and M2. So would it be worth teaching AS further maths so I have some knowledge of stats? The modules would be FP1, S1 and either D1 or S2.

I'd definitely suggest doing it if you're looking at the top unis like Oxbridge UCL LSE etc. As most are starting to admit that you have to have done it to AS to stand a chance of getting an offer.

I self taught FM this year but did s2 and s3, and I'd say if you're good at maths you won't find it difficult at all although I'd suggest trying to go to your schools year 12 fp1 classes.

I'd also say it was the main reason I got offers at LSE and UCL so definitely mention it in your personal statement if you do do it as I guess it also shows good self study skills!
Yeah, 6 maths exams, I'm amazed at how people can cope with it. I might be better off learning the content but not actually sitting the exams seeing as it won't count towards an offer anyway.

That depends on the uni, I learnt it and put it in my personal statement thinking no one would care enough to put it as an offer, UCL didn't but LSE did :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending