The Student Room Group

Is it worth it?

I want to study medicine (2015 entry) and I have one GCSE B grade, it being in maths. Although this meets the minimum entry requirement of most medical schools, is it worth resitting maths in November in order to get a better grade and make my application more competitive, considering that a B is the 'minimum' and the successful applicants are likely to have A*'s and A's.

I realise that the results would come out after the medicine UCAS deadline but I read a depressing statistic on TSR of how something like 60% of medicine applicants get 4 rejections so the higher grade would be in case I would be part of the unfortunate 60% :redface: and in case I went on to reapply.

Im finding myself going over a lot of GCSE maths stuff anyway in prep for UKCAT and also for the insane amount of maths in OCR A2 chem.

Is it worth it?
Reply 1
Also, November resit grade boundaries are lower
Reply 2
Original post by Big Thinker
I want to study medicine (2015 entry) and I have one GCSE B grade, it being in maths. Although this meets the minimum entry requirement of most medical schools, is it worth resitting maths in November in order to get a better grade and make my application more competitive, considering that a B is the 'minimum' and the successful applicants are likely to have A*'s and A's.

I realise that the results would come out after the medicine UCAS deadline but I read a depressing statistic on TSR of how something like 60% of medicine applicants get 4 rejections so the higher grade would be in case I would be part of the unfortunate 60% :redface: and in case I went on to reapply.

Im finding myself going over a lot of GCSE maths stuff anyway in prep for UKCAT and also for the insane amount of maths in OCR A2 chem.

Is it worth it?

What are your GCSE grades overall? A B in GCSE maths is not terrible, your focus should be on your current academics and not the past. If you feel it won't disrupt your A2 studies then there is nothing stopping you taking it but a lot of medical schools won't take a GCSE resit into account without mitigating circumstances. So personally I don't think it is worth it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm going into sixth form this september. Do i have to do the UKCAT test in july 2015, then apply for universities in September 2015?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by BeeBuzz
I'm going into sixth form this september. Do i have to do the UKCAT test in july 2015, then apply for universities in September 2015?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if your starting sixth form in 2014 and applying for medicine 2015 entry. You will take your UKCAT after you have completed your AS exams. So yes, you will take the UKCAT around that time. Testing begins normally between July and October. :smile:
Original post by Big Thinker

Is it worth it?

Thats kinda the situation im in as i got a B in english language, 1 UMS away from A XD But only a small handful of unis require A in english and maths.
Reply 6
Original post by 06shawm
So if your starting sixth form in 2014 and applying for medicine 2015 entry. You will take your UKCAT after you have completed your AS exams. So yes, you will take the UKCAT around that time. Testing begins normally between July and October. :smile:

Aah ok thank you!! And i also got a B in English lang in year 10 after a resit. I didn't want to resit again because then i'd have to do course work all over again. Plus i REALLY dislike English!..Well maybe that's because i'm bad at it xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BeeBuzz
Aah ok thank you!! And i also got a B in English lang in year 10 after a resit. I didn't want to resit again because then i'd have to do course work all over again. Plus i REALLY dislike English!..Well maybe that's because i'm bad at it xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should have taken that opportunity to resit, getting an A in english language allows you to apply to any uni.
Reply 8
Original post by Jaska
You should have taken that opportunity to resit, getting an A in english language allows you to apply to any uni.

What if i get an A in Lit? :0

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BeeBuzz
What if i get an A in Lit? :0

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have A in Literature and it doesn't change anything unless you apply to Hull-York, they allow B in English Language if you have A in Literature.
Original post by Jaska
Thats kinda the situation im in as i got a B in english language, 1 UMS away from A XD But only a small handful of unis require A in english and maths.

Remark?
It depends entirely. I'm going to guess that the rest of your GCSE's aren't mostly A*'s? Because if that's the case leave your maths and pally to non-GCSE focused universities, the ones that focus more on UKCAT/AS/predicted grades. If, however, the rest of your GCSE's are good it might be worth pulling your maths up.
Original post by Jaska
I have A in Literature and it doesn't change anything unless you apply to Hull-York, they allow B in English Language if you have A in Literature.

Hyms and UEA allow this :smile:
Original post by OnionRing
Hyms and UEA allow this :smile:

Where does it say on UEA website that they allow B in english language for medicine?

o nvm found it :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending