The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I can't wear contacts for more than 6/7hours at a time, they dry out too much and no brand is comfortable - and I've tried many.

I like glasses. People are used to me in glasses. I'm used to wearing them. I get frames that suit my face.

I use either depending on the situation, but 90% of the time I go for glasses because, get this, I actually want to be able to see.

Sorry that my lack of vanity offends you :rolleyes:
Times have changed and the kid in the NHS specs is no longer thought of as a runt, a weakling and a target for bullying. Fashions and trends have made specs appealing and attractive. Some people who arent even optically challenged choose to slip on a pair of plano specs when it suits them.

As for blind gits like myself, well i alternate between the two.

Why? Because wearing CLs all the time can lead to eye health issues.

The latest silicon hydrogel lenses are the worst for eye health issues, everything from blepharitis, eye lid issues, dry eyes ,mucin balls..etc

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/778526_1

Then there is the possibility of corneal neovascularisation caused by long term oxygen deprivation...

So you have to understand the issues which may occur and take a balanced view.
And then there are those of us who don't need to wear glasses. :biggrin:
I look weird without glasses now :lol:
Original post by Drewski
I can't wear contacts for more than 6/7hours at a time, they dry out too much and no brand is comfortable - and I've tried many.

I like glasses. People are used to me in glasses. I'm used to wearing them. I get frames that suit my face.

I use either depending on the situation, but 90% of the time I go for glasses because, get this, I actually want to be able to see.

Sorry that my lack of vanity offends you :rolleyes:

Have you tried soft lenses that are not silicon hydrogels?
Original post by Limpopo
Have you tried soft lenses that are not silicon hydrogels?

I've tried every soft toric lens that Specsavers offers. Some are more comfortable than others, but none are perfect. Annoyingly, the best fitting ones I've had were the ones that were furthest away from my actual prescription, so they were of no practical use.
Original post by Drewski
I've tried every soft toric lens that Specsavers offers. Some are more comfortable than others, but none are perfect. Annoyingly, the best fitting ones I've had were the ones that were furthest away from my actual prescription, so they were of no practical use.

Yes but have you looked at the lens material? Im thinking that nearly all soft lenses on sale will be silicon hydrogels which have a tendency to dry your eyes depending on the wearer. Also do you really need torics?

I have astigmatism also at 1.25/0.75 and wear spherical CLs no problem.
Sometimes too much complication causes more issues.
Original post by Limpopo
Yes but have you looked at the lens material? Im thinking that nearly all soft lenses on sale will be silicon hydrogels which have a tendency to dry your eyes depending on the wearer. Also do you really need torics?

I have astigmatism also at 1.25/0.75 and wear spherical CLs no problem.
Sometimes too much complication causes more issues.

I can only get what they give me.

I'm on -1.5 and -2.25 and the sphericals I tried early on simply never fit. These ones at least fit, but the prescriptions are slightly out. So while they're fine for going out, or for sport, or whatever, they're no good for working and no good for long periods of time.
Original post by Drewski
I can only get what they give me.

I'm on -1.5 and -2.25 and the sphericals I tried early on simply never fit. These ones at least fit, but the prescriptions are slightly out. So while they're fine for going out, or for sport, or whatever, they're no good for working and no good for long periods of time.

Just to clarify,, the figures you quote are for the dgree of myopia and not the astigmatic correction?

My current script is -8.50/-7.50 for the short sightedness but i also have 1.25d and 0.75d astig respectively and still wear sphericals no prob.

You may fare better going to see an independent optom rather than the big chains..

This article may be of interest

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/rbi-communities/wp-content/uploads/importedimages/pl.pdf

http://www.optometry.co.uk/uploads/articles/cet-2013/may-31-2013-c-31513.pdf

I currently wear daysoft CLs which are Filcon ( non silicon ) material with a DK classification of 2 quoted as at least 20DK by the manufs.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Limpopo
Just to clarify,, the figures you quote are for the dgree of myopia and not the astigmatic correction?

My current script is -8.50/-7.50 for the short sightedness but i also have 1.25d and 0.75d astig respectively and still wear sphericals no prob.

You may fare better going to see an independent optom rather than the big chains..

Right: Power -2-25, BC 8.7, Cyl -1.75, Axis +20.
Left: Power -1.50, BC, 8.7, Cyl, -1.75, Axis 170.

At one point I did understand all those numbers, but I've slept and drunk too much since then.

And they're good enough for what i want them for, for my package I get the lenses, I get my glasses, I get the care and I get other perks, no reason to change all that. And, tbf, Specsavers isn't really a big chain, each store is a franchise, mine are pretty good.
I look weird without my glasses :/ though I've been wearing them for pretty much 10 years now. My face isn't particularly attractive, without a glasses frame obstructing some view of my face then it'd be even worse for me when I go out in public!
Reply 31
I wear glasses because I cannot afford contact lenses :frown:
I look fine in glasses just because you may look ugly in them doesn't mean we all do

He looks amazing in glasses!
Original post by Drewski
Right: Power -2-25, BC 8.7, Cyl -1.75, Axis +20.
Left: Power -1.50, BC, 8.7, Cyl, -1.75, Axis 170.

At one point I did understand all those numbers, but I've slept and drunk too much since then.

And they're good enough for what i want them for, for my package I get the lenses, I get my glasses, I get the care and I get other perks, no reason to change all that. And, tbf, Specsavers isn't really a big chain, each store is a franchise, mine are pretty good.

Yes, 1.75 is cracking on a bit. The general guid used by optoms is consider correction for over 1D.
im scared about how hard it is to put lenses in and stories about people going hospital because it goes behind their eye
Original post by Armin.
Why do people in this day and age still insist on wearing glasses? I ditched mine ages ago for a spanky and shiny pair of lenses and I haven't looked back since.

My head feels lighter and the bridge of my nose is no longer being raped by the weight of the lenses inside the frames. No longer would you have to worry about the lesnes being stained or the annoying feeling when they keep sliding down your nose. Urgghhh so annoying

Do some people think they look good in glasses? :lol:

Or are they nonintellectuals trying to look smart.

I beg to differ. Although I have recommended glasses, I don't like wearing them, but I have been told that it does suit me. :smile:
I think some people can look good with glasses, if you have a cute, slightly nerdy look anyway.
OP is unhappy they look ugly in glasses.
Reply 39
Original post by MidnightDream
I look fine in glasses just because you may look ugly in them doesn't mean we all do

pic or gtfo

Original post by goldenfish
OP is unhappy they look ugly in glasses.

I look good in a bin bag.

Original post by Wilsoncw1997

He looks amazing in glasses!

Eww

Original post by Gingerbread101
I look weird without glasses now :lol:

That's a lie. You look better without glasses.

Latest