The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Saywhatyoumean
Yeah me too, and it's also such a nice area :smile:

But what I don't understand is how do they differentiate between candidates if most people applying have around ~24+ at GCSE? Surely everyone has a good personal statement and reference too?

It is quite high I agree, I'd say for it to be around 24-25 this year would be reasonable

Posted from TSR Mobile

The PS plays a huge role in selection for interview at Cardiff and the better your PS, then I think they add on extra points to your GCSE score if u meet the cutoff. If your borderline then I think with a really good PS you may still get an interview.
Btw do you sort of have a rough idea of how the GCSE standard of this years applicants to Cardiff medical school compares with last years.
Reply 61
Hi, I have the following stats:

Gcse 10A*
AS A biology, A maths, A further maths, B physics, C chem😥
Ukcat 710
A really good ps (I think)

I know that cardiff don't look at AS grades ( but they'll still be able to see them) and I have good predictions
A* A* A A but will my chem grade put me out of the running!! I know I can get an A in Chem as I was getting A's all the way through the year, just had a really bad day! Any help or advice would be really appreciated😊
Original post by Ben4444

Gcse 10A*
Ukcat 710

I know that cardiff don't look at AS grades ( but they'll still be able to see them) and I have good predictions
A* A* A A but will my chem grade put me out of the running!! I know I can get an A in Chem as I was getting A's all the way through the year, just had a really bad day! Any help or advice would be really appreciated😊

I think it should be completely fine :smile: go ahead! Haha
Reply 63
Original post by Ben4444

Gcse 10A*
Ukcat 710

You have a really good UKCAT for this year, so might want to consider some UKCAT heavy universities instead as Cardiff don't really consider the UKCAT unless it is a borderline case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by Ben4444

Gcse 10A*
Ukcat 710

Cardiff is a good option! Have a look at Plymouth, UEA as they look more at A2 predictions rather than AS, Leicester, Exeter and Kings. You should also look at taking the BMAT!
Reply 65
Original post by 2018
Cardiff is a good option! Have a look at Plymouth, UEA as they look more at A2 predictions rather than AS, Leicester, Exeter and Kings. You should also look at taking the BMAT!

Thank you!!
Reply 66
Original post by Tim4242
You have a really good UKCAT for this year, so might want to consider some UKCAT heavy universities instead as Cardiff don't really consider the UKCAT unless it is a borderline case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will do! Thanks for your help
I have 7A* (inc eng lang, maths, 3 sciences) 2A at GCSE

And I also have achieved A*AA at A level

Would this therefore give me a score of 27/27?
Can you all please post your academic score out of 27 here, just to get a feel for the level of applicants for 2015 entry.

I hope the cut off is really low this year :smile:
Original post by futuremedic19
Can you all please post your academic score out of 27 here, just to get a feel for the level of applicants for 2015 entry.

I hope the cut off is really low this year :smile:

Given that approx. 3000 people apply to Cardiff every year. A sample of 20 people giving their score will not give you any indication at all of the applicant cohort standard.

Don't mean to be sharp but effort is better spent on personal statement prep and carefully choosing your choices.
Reply 70
Original post by science-oliver
I have 7A* (inc eng lang, maths, 3 sciences) 2A at GCSE

And I also have achieved A*AA at A level

Would this therefore give me a score of 27/27?

Yes you should certainly apply! Also have a look at QUB and Leicester (UKCAT) and also UCL (BMAT)
I have 7A*S 4As GCSE and predicted 42 points in the IB. Reaaaally love Cardiff, but torn between it and bristol - any thoughts?
Hi guys,

I need some advice. Here are my stats:

GCSEs: 6A*s 4As :frown:
AS Level: 4 As
A2 Predictions: Either A*A*A or A*A*A*

Should I apply to Cardiff?
Reply 73
Original post by MedKid123
Hi guys,

I need some advice. Here are my stats:

GCSEs: 6A*s 4As :frown:
AS Level: 4 As
A2 Predictions: Either A*A*A or A*A*A*

Should I apply to Cardiff?

You certainly stand a good chance academic wise :smile:
Original post by 2018
You certainly stand a good chance academic wise :smile:

Thank you :smile:
I heard that the cut off last year or the year before was 25 (based on the scoring system) and my score is 24 :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
What is the ps review service?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cardiff University are holding an open day tomorrow at the cathays park campus. Is anyone coming !!!!
Reply 77
Original post by baner-2003
What is the ps review service?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi :smile:

I'm not sure what's been announced officially of TSR yet, but it looks like the traditional free PS review service TSR have conducted in previous years will no longer be taking place. Instead they intend on charging around £60 for a review (which IMO is a little ridiculous and disappointing). However I have said to a few people who PM'd me that if you were applying to Cardiff and Cardiff is going to be one of your top choices I would be happy to take a look at your PS via email if you did want someone to take a look at it.
I've decided I want to apply to cardiff now :smile: What's the city like? In relation to sizes of other uk cities?
Original post by TheProblematique
I've decided I want to apply to cardiff now :smile: What's the city like? In relation to sizes of other uk cities?

It's a really really nice city. It's got everything for everyone. Whether your into night life, sports, shopping and not to far from the beautiful Brecon beakons.
I have lived in Cardiff for 15 years and I moved from London. And Cardiff is completely ideal in the sense that it's a lively city but not to overcroweded that traffic and moving from A to B becomes a major problem. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending