The Student Room Group

What could be done to make your time at uni a higher quality experience?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xotol
Problem is that food, rent and basically everything else is really expensive so you don't get too much money to spend in clubs, and the drink prices really hit you if you want to sustain a good level of tipsy throughout the whole night.

I would say on average, jagerbombs are £3-£4 and double vodka mixers are like £3.50-£4.50 for a standard student night.

But you get more money to cover the difference, but I do agree that you don't get left with much money for clubs without sacrificing something just got to be frugal and save where you can, I usually go places that give me a discount there's one club that hands out discount books and you can get like 3 shots of sambuca for a fiver and stuff. But yeah that's quite expensive if you're paying £3-£4 that's 2-3 drinks whereas I can get 4-5
better grades!!
Clubs and sex and money and whatnot... This London Uni life I'm aware the privileged middle-classes in my school live and will further live through... That would be a nice experience at Uni. I would not want to miss out on that. Just give me the money; it brings you everything.
Original post by Xotol
Problem is that food, rent and basically everything else is really expensive so you don't get too much money to spend in clubs, and the drink prices really hit you if you want to sustain a good level of tipsy throughout the whole night.

I would say on average, jagerbombs are £3-£4 and double vodka mixers are like £3.50-£4.50 for a standard student night.

this is where a flask of JD comes in handy

brb only paying for coke
Reply 24
Original post by victoriajackson
More time spent doing something useful, joining a society or learning a language rather than just going out all the time.

£2.50 jagerbomb is fairly average to be honest, the stuff that goes into the £1-£1.50 ones isn't real jager and you need twice as much to have the effect of one jagerbomb. Double vodka mixer for £3 isn't bad either I expected London to be more expensive than that to be honest. Minus the £5 jagerbomb which is what you'd pay in any revolution bar I'm in Huddersfield and that's quite average prices.

The 'fake' Jagermeister I've seen is still around 35%. I've been to many many club nights with £1 - £1.50 jagerbomb offers and they've always been the real deal... you watch them pour it out. They can sometimes scrimp on the mixer though and use energy drink on tap which most certainly isn't Red Bull. Probably some cheap supermarket own brand. It doesn't taste much different though.
Original post by Kre
The 'fake' Jagermeister I've seen is still around 35%. I've been to many many club nights with £1 - £1.50 jagerbomb offers and they've always been the real deal... you watch them pour it out. They can sometimes scrimp on the mixer though and use energy drink on tap which most certainly isn't Red Bull. Probably some cheap supermarket own brand. It doesn't taste much different though.

I'm a shot girl they use messer schmitt or however you spell it and it isn't around 35% it's 22% you still get a full shot but if you look on the tills they will press "m bomb" messer bomb, the bottle is extremely similar to the jager bottle so most people think it's jager. They use kick or kx for energy drink that's the main brands I see being used and they'll get around 6 jager bombs out of it. The wholesale price for jager is around 11-12 pounds per bottle so for 28 shots it's already costing the bar 42p just for the shot plus the energy drink that's probably about 50p per jagerbomb factoring in staff wages and bills that means the bars don't make very much in fact they can lose money if they sell them for £1-£1.50, those bars don't stay open for long. You usually have to pay more for the premium brands. That being said I prefer messer it doesn't give me the same stomach ache as jager does the next day.
I'm a shot girl they use messer schmitt or however you spell it and it isn't around 35% it's 22% you still get a full shot but if you look on the tills they will press "m bomb" messer bomb, the bottle is extremely similar to the jager bottle so most people think it's jager. They use kick or kx for energy drink that's the main brands I see being used and they'll get around 6 jager bombs out of it. The wholesale price for jager is around 11-12 pounds per bottle so for 28 shots it's already costing the bar 42p just for the shot plus the energy drink that's probably about 50p per jagerbomb factoring in staff wages and bills that means the bars don't make very much in fact they can lose money if they sell them for £1-£1.50, those bars don't stay open for long. You usually have to pay more for the premium brands. That being said I prefer messer it doesn't give me the same stomach ache as jager does the next day.

because it's a lower percentage...
Original post by tehforum
because it's a lower percentage...

I didn't get that sort of stomach ache from absinthe or 50% rum it has a different recipe it's something that upsets my stomach not in a sick way if you catch my drift :/
Reply 28

I've never been served Messer Schmitt at a club before instead of Jagermeister. The bottles and labelling are actually quite different to be honest. I've actually never seen Messer Shmitt being served in any clubs really.

They don't get their Jagermeister for £11-£12 a bottle. As a consumer I can get it for close to £14 in supermarkets. I know for a fact that clubs can get their Jagermeister for much less than that, and they can go through 4,000+ jagerbombs on a busy night. That's about 142 bottles. Plus their mixer will be bought for dirt cheap too. On cheap drink nights it's all about quantity. They're still making a killing off £1 drinks.
More money would help a lot. This whole idea that your loan is based on household income is a joke.

I was going to say cheaper booze, but from the looks of this thread, everybody else is being ripped off. I thought £4 for a quad gin was expensive. Apparently not.
Original post by Kre
I've never been served Messer Schmitt at a club before instead of Jagermeister. The bottles and labelling are actually quite different to be honest. I've actually never seen Messer Shmitt being served in any clubs really.

They don't get their Jagermeister for £11-£12 a bottle. As a consumer I can get it for close to £14 in supermarkets. I know for a fact that clubs can get their Jagermeister for much less than that, and they can go through 4,000+ jagerbombs on a busy night. That's about 142 bottles. Plus their mixer will be bought for dirt cheap too. On cheap drink nights it's all about quantity. They're still making a killing off £1 drinks.

Might be where you are situated then but I know every club minus revolution in Huddersfield use it and I serve it. They're really not they're both hunter green and the same size and a very similar shape, the labelling is different but when you're drunk in a dark club it's not something you really look for. No actually you can get it that price on promotion also everybody knows predrinking at home is cheaper. Like I said it must depend on where you are situated one of the bars I worked in had to stop doing £1 messer bombs because they were losing too much money they didn't sell anywhere near 142 bottles in a night they didn't even sell a tenth of that. Plus bars don't get their alcohol dirt cheap they still need to pay tax on it like the rest of us, they don't buy it as cheaply as you think.
I'm dropping out at the moment and may be transferring at some point but in the 2 years I've done, I would prob say: Make friends. Proper friends. And if not proper friends, then lots of acquantances. Not because you need to be popular but because it helps. It helps with work, it helps with the experience. It's support and something to fall back on. Uni is not like high school or college where the teachers keep you right. And if you have people around then if you do well, you can celebrate together, and if you do badly, you can still celebrate together. Join a society or something.

Also, be more independent. In the sense that, if you're going to uni and it's far, and you're still living at home and you're travelling lots and you're struggling - stop. Get a dorm somewhere or a shared flat and adjust with the situation properly, otherwise it will be very hard to juggle. Don't be afraid to embrace the changes. But if you're still living at home and you're not struggling then great. :smile:

Open up a facebook group for your course or class which everyone from that course can join. It is A GODSEND for communicating, asking questions, finding out about dates, exams, tests, questions, what we need, what to do. It doesn't have to be a 'community', it can just be the people in your class but trust me it helps.

My final advice is: you don't have to party. It might be fun if you do etc etc but don't feel like "I'm at uni therefore I must party." You'll see yourself after the first few times it's the same sort of thing, you're not missing out on anything huge, and it's definitely not worth a hangover on a day you have class just because it was student night on Tuesday and £1 drinks. I think a lot of people in my Uni did that because either 1. They've never been away from parental supervision before and suddenly go crazy. or 2. They just think that's what Uni people do and so therefore do it.
I'm not talking about parties at the weekend or anything, but I mean throughout the week. Too many people did that and it was just stupid, frankly. You end up doing last minute work in the weekend, when you could be doing it throughout the week, and party at the weekend. Then again, that fb group is perfect for these moments.

Good luck!
Reply 32
Might be where you are situated then but I know every club minus revolution in Huddersfield use it and I serve it. They're really not they're both hunter green and the same size and a very similar shape, the labelling is different but when you're drunk in a dark club it's not something you really look for. No actually you can get it that price on promotion also everybody knows predrinking at home is cheaper. Like I said it must depend on where you are situated one of the bars I worked in had to stop doing £1 messer bombs because they were losing too much money they didn't sell anywhere near 142 bottles in a night they didn't even sell a tenth of that. Plus bars don't get their alcohol dirt cheap they still need to pay tax on it like the rest of us, they don't buy it as cheaply as you think.

I used to work for an events company and have had a look at how much they pay and it's pretty damn cheap compared to what we have to fork out. £1 jagerbomb nights were incredibly popular in my uni town, they kept doing them because they were making good money from it.

I's not particularly difficult to see what drink the bartender is pouring you. I'd be pretty annoyed if they were giving me a 22% spirit, (can you even call it a spirit? It's schnapps), instead of the 35% real deal. In fact, there have been cases where pubs/bars have been fined for substituting these cheap knock-offs.
Original post by Kre
I used to work for an events company and have had a look at how much they pay and it's pretty damn cheap compared to what we have to fork out. £1 jagerbomb nights were incredibly popular in my uni town, they kept doing them because they were making good money from it.

I's not particularly difficult to see what drink the bartender is pouring you. I'd be pretty annoyed if they were giving me a 22% spirit, (can you even call it a spirit? It's schnapps), instead of the 35% real deal. In fact, there have been cases where pubs/bars have been fined for substituting these cheap knock-offs.

They were in mine also the clubs just weren't making enough money off them, cheapest you can find one now is £1.50 or they occasionally do £1 jager bomb bar rush. Well the clubs I work in isn't that much cheaper really to be honest. You can't see the percentage on the bottle easily and like I said it's just not something you look for if it's dar they pick up a green bottle they pour out a dark liquid people don't tend to argue it. They don't get fined for it because they don't market it as a jager bomb it's on the till as a messer bomb.
Original post by Xotol
More money -> spend more money in clubs -> stay wasted throughout the night -> have a great time.

Drinks in London clubs are so ****ing expensive even in student nights. Cheapest Jager bombs I've found are £2.50, double vodka mixer is like £3. Some even have £5 Jager bombs WTF. We basically all just pre-drink really hard, but then it wears off half way through and so it's like... what now.

how much i a bottle of beer?
Reply 35
Original post by bumblebee342
More money would be lovely :yy:

A tidier flat would've been nice in first year, but mess is pretty much unavoidable in a flat full of lazy students :lol:

A self cleaning flat would be amazing!
Original post by Armadillo
A self cleaning flat would be amazing!

Oh it would be fantastic. One can dream, right? :tongue:
Original post by bumblebee342
Oh it would be fantastic. One can dream, right? :tongue:

It is called a cleaner, they are brilliant.
If there were a couple more people who weren't absolutely boring there.
Original post by DiddyDec
It is called a cleaner, they are brilliant.

Ah, but it's not the cleaner's job to wash up all the crap that's been there for weeks. Our cleaner used to come in once a week and leave the place looking the same as it did when he came in, so it never looked "clean". Can't say I blamed him really :lol:

Quick Reply