The Student Room Group

What degree is best for a PE teacher and which is best in the long run?

I'm looking to become a PE teacher and perhaps a personal trainer/ gym instructor on the side and do not know fully what degree to chose from. I know you have to hold a C or above in English, math and science which I already have to become a teacher. However I'm just wondering what degree is needed to enter into teaching. I'm torn between two different courses at University which is Sports & Exercise Science or Sport, physical activity and health. Both are obviously sports related, however which would be better or are they the same. And yes I do know I will then need to do a QTS and PGSE'
Final question, which degree is better in the long run in terms of opening more doors for a career path?
Thank you
by richard Just now
Original post by RichardR21
I'm looking to become a PE teacher and perhaps a personal trainer/ gym instructor on the side and do not know fully what degree to chose from. I know you have to hold a C or above in English, math and science which I already have to become a teacher. However I'm just wondering what degree is needed to enter into teaching. I'm torn between two different courses at University which is Sports & Exercise Science or Sport, physical activity and health. Both are obviously sports related, however which would be better or are they the same. And yes I do know I will then need to do a QTS and PGSE'
Final question, which degree is better in the long run in terms of opening more doors for a career path?
Thank you
by richard Just now

Giving this a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply to you! :smile:

[scroll]:ninja:[/scroll]
Reply 2
I would look at the possibility of sports science or physical education at University. But both of them seem fine. Just make sure you get plenty of teaching/coaching experience. Then complete a PGCE after this. What most people don't do enough of is gaining coaching/teaching experience to get onto the PGCE. I would check out www.findacoachingcourse.com as that has a list of coaching courses. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest