The Student Room Group

East Asian Standard of Beauty

Question: What is your definition of a good looking east asian woman?

It's been awhile now since I arrived in the UK for university, and it's really been bothering me that I'm clearly unattractive to the opposite gender.

This is shocking because although I'm not insanely beautiful, all my life, I've been considered fairly above average looking and had no lack of male attention.

And it's not that I'm desperate or anything, but it's just not very healthy on the ego to have absolutely no attention at all, plus negative attention on top of that. Pretty sure at one point, a drunk guy even look repulsed. Plus, even the seriously, SERIOUSLY overweight girls seem more attractive. Makes me wonder if there's something seriously wrong with me.

Kind of hurts to feel like an igor.

I understand beauty can be universal. But obviously there's a slight variation for each country. E.g. the asian americans prefer tanned skin, while us east asians prefer snow white skin. I'm not really looking to get a tan as it causes premature aging, but would like to get advice on hair, make up, and clothes, etc.

Help? (too embarrassed to ask anyone and I don't know any british born asians)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WhamWhamPow
Question: What is your definition of a good looking east asian woman?

It's been awhile now since I arrived in the UK for university, and it's really been bothering me that I'm clearly unattractive to the opposite gender.

This is shocking because although I'm not insanely beautiful, all my life, I've been considered fairly above average looking and had no lack of male attention.

And it's not that I'm desperate or anything, but it's just not very healthy on the ego to have absolutely no attention at all, plus negative attention on top of that. Pretty sure at one point, a drunk guy even look repulsed. Plus, even the seriously, SERIOUSLY overweight girls seem more attractive. Makes me wonder if there's something seriously wrong with me.

Kind of hurts to feel like an igor.

I understand beauty can be universal. But obviously there's a slight variation for each country. E.g. the asian americans prefer tanned skin, while us east asians prefer snow white skin. I'm not really looking to get a tan as it causes premature aging, but would like to get advice on hair, make up, and clothes, etc.

Help? (too embarrassed to ask anyone and I don't know any british born asians)

One word: submissive
Reply 2
Original post by Wilsoncw1997

Should I also walk around in a cheong sam then? pfft. How offensive.
Should I also walk around in a cheong sam then? pfft. How offensive.

I hope you won't trip over. Are you from china by the way?
Reply 4
I hope you won't trip over. Are you from china by the way?

Yes, I am.
Yes, I am.

Which part?
Reply 6
Which part?

How is this helping?
How is this helping?

How does it not?
Good looking Asian women

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.
I tend to find East Asian women attractive ( don't get me wrong, race doesn't matter to me, but a lot of them are), and I know a lot of people who think the same.
Don't be disheartened over your self-perception.
Reply 10
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Good looking Asian women

Thanks, but, these women are gifted with perfect facial features, would be good looking wherever they go. Any tips on how the less fortunate could look better?
Thanks, but, these women are gifted with perfect facial features, would be good looking wherever they go. Any tips on how the less fortunate could look better?

Sorry, I thought you wanted examples. Erm I guess nice hair and good skin will look nice on anyone :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by TasteLikeChicken
I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.
I tend to find East Asian women attractive ( don't get me wrong, race doesn't matter to me, but a lot of them are), and I know a lot of people who think the same.
Don't be disheartened over your self-perception.

Thanks, it's very kind of you to say that. But my reality doesn't seem that way.
Reply 13
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Sorry, I thought you wanted examples. Erm I guess nice hair and good skin will look nice on anyone :biggrin:

omg, no need to be sorry. Thanks nonetheless!
I would have thought you would be Ok in terms of having guys like you. Maybe they are intimidated, I know a lot of White people think that East Asian girls will not want to talk with them and that they prefer to associate with people their own race only.

Don't be such an ass, there is a difference between being attractive and Asian and fulfilling a stereotype or fetish
I'm assuming you posting a picture is out of the question?
Post a picture! :smile:
It might help us give suggestions like haircuts. X
Reply 17
Original post by yo radical one
I would have thought you would be Ok in terms of having guys like you. Maybe they are intimidated, I know a lot of White people think that East Asian girls will not want to talk with them and that they prefer to associate with people their own race only.

Hmm.. I'm not really like that though.

Original post by TasteLikeChicken
I'm assuming you posting a picture is out of the question?

Yes, definitely. Sorry.
Hmm.. I'm not really like that though.

Yes, definitely. Sorry.

Nono, don't apologise, was just saying it'd help us to help you.
Reply 19
Original post by Mistee M
Post a picture! :smile:
It might help us give suggestions like haircuts. X

Would be a little embarrassing to expose my identity for all to see.

But if it helps, I'm slim, almost 6ft, and I have shoulder length black hair and fair skin.

Quick Reply

Latest