The Student Room Group

Why do Students Party?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gandall
When I went to university, I thought that the majority of people going there would be there to study and get a good degree. I was appalled that universities had a bar, I was disgusted tbh. I thought, "why would students want that? They are there to study!"

Then the year began..people turned up to lectures drunk, they were all asking everyone to go and drink with them. If you didn't go out, you didn't get friends. I never went to any of the freshers activities, I am not one for going out and getting, what do they call it? Oh yeah.."Pissed" or "hammered." What a stupid word, "pissed" what idiot came up with that! Same with "Hammered" I mean, seriously?!

Now, I go to all my lectures, I study and I research. I have no friends and nobody really likes me. On results day, I was one of the worst achievers in the year, with the "Pissiers" and the "Hammerers" getting so much better than me.

Bars are often within universities to make it easier/ safer for students to get there and back from their accommodation, to get the university/ students union more money, and to allow people to have a bit of a break from their studies.

It is important to have some kind of study break - it doesn't have to be going out partying, but for many students they enjoy it and so I don't see a problem with that. For others (myself included) they prefer to join societies/ do sports. Whatever you do in your free time, it's important to have a break from studying so you don't burn out (possibly explaining your bad result).

There would have been other freshers activities than those involving drinking. We always have a set of 'alternative events' every evening of freshers week for those who don't want to go clubbing, and you could have easily met new friends by going to them. Also, joining societies is a great way of meeting people with similar interests to you :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Bars are often within universities to make it easier/ safer for students to get there and back from their accommodation, to get the university/ students union more money, and to allow people to have a bit of a break from their studies.

It is important to have some kind of study break - it doesn't have to be going out partying, but for many students they enjoy it and so I don't see a problem with that. For others (myself included) they prefer to join societies/ do sports. Whatever you do in your free time, it's important to have a break from studying so you don't burn out (possibly explaining your bad result).

There would have been other freshers activities than those involving drinking. We always have a set of 'alternative events' every evening of freshers week for those who don't want to go clubbing, and you could have easily met new friends by going to them. Also, joining societies is a great way of meeting people with similar interests to you :smile:

Thank you,

I got the answers to why you think students party and I got good answers. Some of my comments were rude, I apologise for these. I have deleted them.

Mods, please close

//closed
Original post by gandall
I wish I was a genius :P

I go in Ormskirk, a town, not too busy. The university is massive though with lots of students.
When you said that everyone is up for having fun, that is true, but nobody would go out with me now, because nobody really likes me due to not going out.

well if you want to have friends and people like you, you need to step up your game. Go to town, and have a blast, you dont need to drink, but you will find people. Then if those people do like you, then they will ask you to hang out. There wont be any alcohol involved if they like you enough. They might ask you to go and join an activity, or just see them round. If you want things to be different = you have to change. Coz people that like to have fun won't =)
Original post by si82
"The results of The Tab’s drug survey are in.
70% of students have tried drugs at least once in their lives."

Im part of the 30% who never have and never will XD

On the other hand i think its good to have free time and enjoy yourself i mean i havent gone to uni yet but i have a job that demands a lot from me and i do a million times better when ive had free time and gone out and done something fun.. so i think its the same for uni students
(edited 9 years ago)
Because it's so much fun, gandall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gandall
When I went to university, I thought that the majority of people going there would be there to study and get a good degree. I was appalled that universities had a bar, I was disgusted tbh. I thought, "why would students want that? They are there to study!"

Then the year began..people turned up to lectures drunk, they were all asking everyone to go and drink with them. If you didn't go out, you didn't get friends. I never went to any of the freshers activities, I am not one for going out and getting, what do they call it? Oh yeah.."Pissed" or "hammered." What a stupid word, "pissed" what idiot came up with that! Same with "Hammered" I mean, seriously?!

Now, I go to all my lectures, I study and I research. I have no friends and nobody really likes me. On results day, I was one of the worst achievers in the year, with the "Pissiers" and the "Hammerers" getting so much better than me.

You sound judgemental and fairly up yourself that's probably why you didn't make any friends, I know lots of people that go out and don't drink, some that don't go out at all and still have friends, I'm friends with people like that. Also if they did better than you you can hardly say "they're here to study and get a good degree" when you did that and didn't do as well as they did
Reply 46
Original post by victoriajackson
You sound judgemental and fairly up yourself that's probably why you didn't make any friends, I know lots of people that go out and don't drink, some that don't go out at all and still have friends, I'm friends with people like that. Also if they did better than you you can hardly say "they're here to study and get a good degree" when you did that and didn't do as well as they did

I am very judgemental and up myself, yes
Original post by gandall
I am very judgemental and up myself, yes

That's why you didn't make any friends.
Reply 48
Original post by victoriajackson
That's why you didn't make any friends.

I have many friends thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest