The Student Room Group

Why do Students Party?

When I went to university, I thought that the majority of people going there would be there to study and get a good degree. I was appalled that universities had a bar, I was disgusted tbh. I thought, "why would students want that? They are there to study!"

Then the year began..people turned up to lectures drunk, they were all asking everyone to go and drink with them. If you didn't go out, you didn't get friends. I never went to any of the freshers activities, I am not one for going out and getting, what do they call it? Oh yeah.."Pissed" or "hammered." What a stupid word, "pissed" what idiot came up with that! Same with "Hammered" I mean, seriously?!

Now, I go to all my lectures, I study and I research. I have no friends and nobody really likes me. On results day, I was one of the worst achievers in the year, with the "Pissiers" and the "Hammerers" getting so much better than me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by gandall
When I went to university, I thought that the majority of people going there would be there to study and get a good degree. I was appalled that universities had a bar, I was disgusted tbh. I thought, "why would students want that? They are there to study!"

Then the year began..people turned up to lectures drunk, they were all asking everyone to go and drink with them. If you didn't go out, you didn't get friends. I never went to any of the freshers activities, I am not one for going out and getting, what do they call it? Oh yeah.."Pissed" or "hammered." What a stupid word, "pissed" what idiot came up with that! Same with "Hammered" I mean, seriously?!

Now, I go to all my lectures, I study and I research. I have no friends and nobody really likes me. On results day, I was one of the worst achievers in the year, with the "Pissiers" and the "Hammerers" getting so much better than me.

You do know it is possible to study and have a good time as well?
Why can't universities have bars? Students are over 18, they're adults. They're completely entitled to go into bars.
trollolololololol

But if you are cereal, then you have no friends not because you don't go out, but because you didn't go to any freshers activities and by the sounds of it, didn't bother to make an effort with classmates because you were too busy judging them all as pissheads.

There are many students who don't drink or go clubbing.

To answer your question students party because if they lived a student life purely based on class and revision, they would burn out and by the end of the year they'd have lost any motivation to study for their finals and would fail them. If you don't relax now and again, you'll be doing more harm than good.
Being a student is a really good time to party and have fun because you have more independence and freedom than you've ever had before in your life- you can legally drink and no longer have your parents constantly on your case. At the same time, you don't have all the responsibilities that you might have later in life- no full time job, no kids, and while there are bills to pay, most students get help with those from parents and/or student finance. People want to make sure they enjoy their youth while they still can, and a lot of people choose to do that by drinking and partying.

Most of the people I know (including me) find a way to balance studying and doing other things :borat:
Alot of reasons why to be honest.

University is for many people the first time that they properly live away from home, and as such you can do more things without any judgement that you may get from family members. You know, people party because they want to have fun. And they can do it without judgement. Along with the fact that when you go to university you have a higher degree of financial independence, so it may be for the first time in your life that you don't have to ask for money, meaning there's no chance they can stop you by not giving you money.

I have to say its an odd question, because you present 2 extremes, whereas its perfectly reasonable and possible to have a little of both
copious amounts of free time. plus coming to the slow realisation that they are growing up. plus realising that in a few years they wont be able to. plus realising that in a few years there lives may be heading no where. plus being super horny. plus so what we get drunk, so what we get high, we're just living young, wild and free. plus woah people are going to start getting married and having kids in a few years. plus woah suddenly you cant get it up as easily as you used to when 13. plus you miss home. plus you're in your physical prime, mate now or never. plus you need an escape.

escapism.
Original post by gandall

So you didn't party and had ****e results, and others did party and got better results?

And you think that is going to help convince anyone that students shouldn't party?
Reply 8
why do you care it doesn't affect you
I "party" when I'm at uni because I have a lot more freedom than I have at home and my friends and I have fun. Doesn't mean I'm not there to do my work and "get a good degree".

If you can balance both, I think it's the perfect opportunity to go out and have fun (if that's what you're in to). It's completely possible to go out drinking and do all your work, and not everyone who goes out will turn up to their lectures drunk and look down on you if you don't drink.
Reply 10
Original post by barneystin
copious amounts of free time. plus coming to the slow realisation that they are growing up. plus realising that in a few years they wont be able to. plus realising that in a few years there lives may be heading no where. plus being super horny. plus so what we get drunk, so what we get high, we're just living young, wild and free. plus woah people are going to start getting married and having kids in a few years. plus woah suddenly you cant get it up as easily as you used to when 13. plus you miss home. plus you're in your physical prime, mate now or never. plus you need an escape.

escapism.

Its illegal to "get high"
Original post by gandall
Its illegal to "get high"

no its not.

a high is a euphoric feeling.

you can get high from literally breathing (or lack of).
Reply 12
I understand this,

But why can't you all go to your local inn or tavern rather than them putting one up right in the uni campus. It's extremely lazy to me.

Original post by dreadpiraterach
Being a student is a really good time to party and have fun because you have more independence and freedom than you've ever had before in your life- you can legally drink and no longer have your parents constantly on your case. At the same time, you don't have all the responsibilities that you might have later in life- no full time job, no kids, and while there are bills to pay, most students get help with those from parents and/or student finance. People want to make sure they enjoy their youth while they still can, and a lot of people choose to do that by drinking and partying.

Most of the people I know (including me) find a way to balance studying and doing other things :borat:

Original post by Chlorophile
Why can't universities have bars? Students are over 18, they're adults. They're completely entitled to go into bars.

Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
trollolololololol

But if you are cereal, then you have no friends not because you don't go out, but because you didn't go to any freshers activities and by the sounds of it, didn't bother to make an effort with classmates because you were too busy judging them all as pissheads.

There are many students who don't drink or go clubbing.

To answer your question students party because if they lived a student life purely based on class and revision, they would burn out and by the end of the year they'd have lost any motivation to study for their finals and would fail them. If you don't relax now and again, you'll be doing more harm than good.

Original post by dreadpiraterach

Original post by Phoebe Buffay
Alot of reasons why to be honest.

University is for many people the first time that they properly live away from home, and as such you can do more things without any judgement that you may get from family members. You know, people party because they want to have fun. And they can do it without judgement. Along with the fact that when you go to university you have a higher degree of financial independence, so it may be for the first time in your life that you don't have to ask for money, meaning there's no chance they can stop you by not giving you money.

I have to say its an odd question, because you present 2 extremes, whereas its perfectly reasonable and possible to have a little of both

escapism.

Original post by bumblebee342
I "party" when I'm at uni because I have a lot more freedom than I have at home and my friends and I have fun. Doesn't mean I'm not there to do my work and "get a good degree".

If you can balance both, I think it's the perfect opportunity to go out and have fun (if that's what you're in to). It's completely possible to go out drinking and do all your work, and not everyone who goes out will turn up to their lectures drunk and look down on you if you don't drink.
Original post by gandall
I understand this,

But why can't you all go to your local inn or tavern rather than them putting one up right in the uni campus. It's extremely lazy to me.

simple market forces.

supply and demand.
Original post by gandall
I understand this,

Maybe because it is pretty much a university only bar, hence why they ask for your student IDs.
Reply 15
simple market forces.

supply and demand.

Lazyness.

Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Maybe because it is pretty much a university only bar, hence why they ask for your student IDs.

They never ask for ID in mine.
Reply 16
You sound pretty bitter. Those pissheads did better than you probably because they worked smart, and found an effective way to relieve stress and enjoy themselves at the same time.
It's social, you gain friends from it, it's fun - some of the best nights you could have, and easy to pick girls up, vice versa.
Original post by gandall
Lazyness.

nope. market efficiency.
Original post by gandall
Lazyness.

They never ask for ID in mine.

trollolololololololol

what reason had you for going in? I thought you were disgusted by the whole idea of it? Let alone going in and ordering drink

bye

Quick Reply

Latest