The Student Room Group

Jump from GCSE to AS sciences

I hope this is in the right section :/

Anyway, I was looking to hear from some people who have completed AS levels in physics, chemistry and biology. Which of the three sciences do you think has the largest jump in terms of difficulty and workload? Also, which of the three assumes the most knowledge from GCSE?
Out of Chemistry and Physics (I haven't taken Biology) I think Chemistry has by far the greatest jump in terms of difficulty. Physics probably assumes the most knowledge from GCSE because with Chemistry, most of the stuff is very conceptual - you develop concepts learned, rather than knowledge.
Reply 2
Out of the three, most will probably say Chemistry. You'll need to apply knowledge and concepts in Chemistry and Physics, while Biology will require the most memorisation and outright learning. I wouldn't worry about it now, the jump from AS to A2 is bigger.
Id also say chemistry, there's a lot attention to detail that you'll need to know, biology was easy you just need to make sure you stay on top of what's being taught and make notes CONSTANTLY. And physics, I found physics to be the most interesting and enjoyable subject by far

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Right ok, thanks. So what were the hardest topics in Chemistry? Was there an immediate jump in difficulty at the start of the year, or was it more to do with the actual exams? Also, I have heard from some sixth-formers that physics is quite hard - most likely the mechanics.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Trystalos
Right ok, thanks. So what were the hardest topics in Chemistry? Was there an immediate jump in difficulty at the start of the year, or was it more to do with the actual exams? Also, I have heard from some sixth-formers that physics is quite hard - most likely the mechanics.

I don't think there are any units that stand out in terms of difficulty, it's just a much higher level of thought required generally. You have to actually understand what you're talking about rather than memorising equations. A lot of people struggle with the calculations, although that's not an issue for me.

Mechanics depends on what spec you do. In OCR B at least, the mechanics is very easy.
Reply 6
Ahh okay. Thanks for the replies. So I guess its not worth doing too much preparation for the sciences.
(edited 9 years ago)
Ahh okay. Thanks for the replies. So I guess its not worth doing too much preparation for the sciences.

Chemistry doesn't have difficult concepts really. And it wouldn't hurt to give yourself a jump start in biology in terms of preparation but you can also do without. I was on OCR A for physics and I found mechanics very easy I just think the exam goes by too quickly
Reply 8
Original post by fatherdougal
Chemistry doesn't have difficult concepts really. And it wouldn't hurt to give yourself a jump start in biology in terms of preparation but you can also do without. I was on OCR A for physics and I found mechanics very easy I just think the exam goes by too quickly

That would be an ecumenical matter. :getmecoat:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
I found the step up from GCSE physics to As Level physics rather extensive despite getting full marks in both GCSE physics papers. Chemistry, and biology to a larger extent, are conceptually easy. It was the sheer quantity of work involved with biology that was the greatest burden on my mental well-being.
Reply 10
So it seems to me that biology is the only one really worth preparing for during the summer. Thanks for all the advice! Must buy a Biology textbook at some point.
(edited 9 years ago)

I did OCR A Chemistry and Biology. Out of the two Chemistry was by far the hardest for me. Which eventually led to having to drop it at A2, which was disappointing for me, but in the end I think it was the right decision for me to make. If you know what exam board you are doing for Biology it is great to crack on, there's no harm in doing so. Wishing you all the best
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by AmmaBrownie
I did OCR A Chemistry and Biology. Out of the two Chemistry was by far the hardest for me. Which eventually led to having to drop it at A2, which was disappointing for me, but in the end I think it was the right decision for me to make. If you know what exam board you are doing for Biology it is great to crack on, there's no harm in doing so. Wishing you all the best
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, you too!

Quick Reply

Latest