The Student Room Group

The Curious Case of Ravel Morrison?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/ravel-morrison-assault-charges-ex-manchester-7543169

So you've no doubt all heard by now that Ravel Morrison is being remanded in custody on an assault charge, and I'm sure that comes to the great surprise of absolutely nobody. Seriously, how is this kid such a screw up? I used to watch him in the U21s at United and he was so talented, I thought he'd go onto be one of the top prospects in English football but the guy is a phenomenal idiot.

He could be a great legitimate footballer but it's clearly his ambition to be a small-time, fake plastic gangster, he's little more than a common criminal who happens to be good at football. He can now add beating up women to his list of crimes including trying [and failing in most cases] to intimidate people, theft, and homophobia. Not to mention the myriad of things he's done or tried to do that aren't in the public domain.

Will this latest embarrassing episode be the kick up the arse he needs to send him straight or is he just broken beyond repair? It's sad to see such talent being wasted, but the guy is clearly just not right. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If Ferguson thought he couldn't sort him out and gave him the push - I'd love to know why anyone else thought they could.
The guy is a lost cause. If being shipped by United wasn't enough for him to realise that he's wasting a great opportunity, nothing will. He keeps getting in trouble and seems to have a poor attitude. He's not going to make it. It's a shame, because many players would do anything to have the amount of talent that he has.
See also: Nile Ranger
Original post by Autistic Merit

That pair :biggrin:. The biggest idiots in football. Morrison is out on his own as the biggest waster in this country though as he actually looked a real talent. He is throwing it all away for the sake of being 'hood' with his mandem.

He won't change, there will always be another club willing to give him 'one more chance', he will gradually drop down the footballing pyramid to the lower leagues and will end up in his 30's crying on his own in a dark room wondering what could have been.

Just a complete and utter waste of oxygen. I wonder if those stories about him nicking from the dressing room are true?
Innocent until proven guilty. There are some women out there that would do anything to sell a news story... I'm not going to defend him but surely you have to wait until the case is over to make judgment.
Why do people assume that talent and professionalism go hand in hand? Only those who can combine the two will really succeed. He'll have a mediocre career bouncing between the Championship and Premier League.
Reply 7
Don't think it's come as any surprise that this happened when he was back in Manchester. It was Ferguson's hope that by leaving the city he'd lose the distractions that had held him back at Utd, and some of his performances for West Ham almost advocated that.

But then comes the end of the season and he goes home...
When he finally gets dropped out of football you'll probably find him selling weed on a street corner in Salford
Original post by little_tom
Innocent until proven guilty. There are some women out there that would do anything to sell a news story... I'm not going to defend him but surely you have to wait until the case is over to make judgment.

Fair but given his track record in cuntery this really isn't hard to believe. We aren't talking about nice guys like Solskjaer or Suarez where it'd be totally out of the blue, we're talking about a consistent troublemaker.

If he turns out to be innocent I'll be very surprised.
Reply 10
Original post by Autistic Merit

Or: Jermaine Pennant.

My theory is that you need some aggression on the pitch to be a better than average footballer. But at the same time you need to control it off the pitch. If you believe in your own inherent superiority (aided by years of academy training) that may be difficult. Plenty of footballers get shielded or excused even if they get violent off the pitch. Not in this case though. Seems like he didn't make any important friends.

PS. There was an article a few months ago claiming that Allardyce tried to force a particular agent on RM, and when he refused, he was sent on loan to QPR as punishment. So allegedly nothing to do with attitude in training... At that time I was actually feeling sorry for him, though SA denied it (obviously).
He went my school, all this does not surprise me
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by little_tom

He has a track record. You're right, though, but it seems very unlikely that this isn't true.

Original post by lauren1x12
He went my school, all this does not surprise me

Did you know him personally?
Original post by NathanW18
He has a track record. You're right, though, but it seems very unlikely that this isn't true.

Did you know him personally?

Nope
Reply 14
Apparently he knew the wrong sort of people in Manchester and that was the reason he had to go.
To think people used to criticise George Best.
Reply 16
Original post by barnetlad
To think people used to criticise George Best.

The only real difference was that George Best had the talent to back it up, and therefore live the high life. If George Best had been only an "emerging talent" or potential talent, like Morrison, he'd have been on ten shillings a week like everyone else, and wouldn't have been able to go nuts every night.
Original post by Clip
The only real difference was that George Best had the talent to back it up, and therefore live the high life. If George Best had been only an "emerging talent" or potential talent, like Morrison, he'd have been on ten shillings a week like everyone else, and wouldn't have been able to go nuts every night.

The real difference is that George Best's behaviour was never illegal! He lived the high life and it was detrimental to his career but that's on him, he didn't go and do harm to other people with his actions.

Original post by Wilfred Little

Just a complete and utter waste of oxygen. I wonder if those stories about him nicking from the dressing room are true?

As far as I know it's true about him nicking things in the dressing room. This is also not the first time he's assaulted a female either, which makes me inclined to think he's far from innocent.
Can't wait to hear if he still gets a love-in from Darren Fletcher on 606.
Reply 19
Original post by IanDangerously
The real difference is that George Best's behaviour was never illegal! He lived the high life and it was detrimental to his career but that's on him, he didn't go and do harm to other people with his actions. .

Best did loads of illegal stuff. He beat up wives and girlfriends and random women, stole money. He definitely went to prison at least once.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply