The Student Room Group

Most Audi cars tailgate and get too close to your car. Agree or disagree?

Hi,

So having driven a manual transmission Toyota for about a year, I have found that the most common and annoying drivers are those of an Audi.

The day I started learning how to drive, I had an Audi driver continuously beep at me. Sure, I'm a learner and yes I will stall my engine a lot, but how comes the majority of drivers are able to accept that?

Even after passing the test, I have had Audi drivers tailgate me and come too close to my vehicle. Today, I was driving down a main road with a 40mph speed limit. Despite my young age, I am not one who goes beyond the speed limit. Even when I am sticking to the speed limits, and the fact that there are hidden and visible speed cameras, I have an Audi behind me getting too close. It annoys me because it was a woman and she had the chance to change into the left lane and back into mine. I felt pressured into increasing my speed limit, but I refused. Eventually, I changed into the left lane and she gave me a really dirty look.

Another instance of an Audi giving me grief was when I was at a busy roundabout. I have to give priority to drivers on my right and so I took my time getting onto the roundabout. I mean after all, I pay more than £1K for my insurance and so I have to drive extra carefully. Despite this, the Audi driver kept blasting his horn. It annoyed me greatly but I chose to ignore it.

I don't know if its me, but I also find the majority of Audi drivers to be very arrogant, selfish and so full of themselves. To me, the way a person drives and the vehicle they drive tells me a lot, and unfortunately I have found that Audi drivers are the worst.

Please note, I am not against all Audi drivers, and I don't mean to offend anyone. I am just interested in your thoughts and opinions
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When I was learning to drive whenever my instructor saw someone driving badly he would normally say "oh it's a BMW driver enough said" or "oh it's an Audi driver enough said" whenever it was that make of car.

I would like to say though that not all BMW and Audi drivers are bad drivers and there are bad drivers driving other cars.
Original post by clubber
I have an Audi behind me getting too close. It annoys me because it was a woman

Why does the fact that it was a woman annoy you?
Original post by clubber

Even after passing the test, I have had Audi drivers tailgate me and come too close to my vehicle. Today, I was driving down a main road with a 40mph speed limit. Despite my young age, I am not one who goes beyond the speed limit. Even when I am sticking to the speed limits, and the fact that there are hidden and visible speed cameras, I have an Audi behind me getting too close. It annoys me because it was a woman and she had the chance to change into the left lane and back into mine. I felt pressured into increasing my speed limit, but I refused. Eventually, I changed into the left lane and she gave me a really dirty look.

How come you were in the right lane? That's for overtaking. And why did you suggest that she should've undertaken you just because she had the chance to?

I'm assuming you're in the UK btw. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You get these type of people, but they do seem to be more prominent in German cars, as it happens. Whenever a car tries tailgating me whilst I'm going at, or even slightly above the speed limit, I always take my foot of the accelerator and slow down, and if I'm turning left I'll slow to a crawl just before the turn. If they're want to try make my drive difficult, I'll make their drive difficult.

And you should've been in the left hand lane unless you were overtaking others. Undertaking is only permitted in congested conditions or when a car is turning right.
Reply 6
Original post by nemothefish19
Why does the fact that it was a woman annoy you?

Because some people use their gender to show that they are above everyone.

I really hate female drivers who just want to show off their flashy motors and boss other motorists about. In this case, the woman is extremely impatient and she thinks she owns the road. That's why it greatly annoys me
Reply 7
Original post by live_a_life
How come you were in the right lane? That's for overtaking. And why did you suggest that she should've undertaken you just because she had the chance to?

I'm assuming you're in the UK btw. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I'm driving in the UK.

You clearly don't know much about the UK roads. On a main road where there are two lanes, there is no such thing as an 'overtaking' lane. You may be getting confused between a motorway and a main road. On a motorway there is an acceleration lane or in your case an 'overtaking lane' which is the right lane.

I was in the right lane, as I had to turn right into a side road.

As for undertaking, she wanted to do because I was going too slow apparently, despite the 40 mph speed limit and the number of GATSO cameras down that stretch of road. Boy racers used to use that stretch of the road in the past, that the police and council decided to install GATSO cameras, and even hidden cameras - according to a friend of mine who got charged for going 6 mph over the speed limit.

I've got a clean license and if I get 6 points then my license will be revoked and I have to start again. I'm on a probation period for another year, and I can't afford to lose points
Reply 8
Original post by TornadoGR4
You get these type of people, but they do seem to be more prominent in German cars, as it happens. Whenever a car tries tailgating me whilst I'm going at, or even slightly above the speed limit, I always take my foot of the accelerator and slow down, and if I'm turning left I'll slow to a crawl just before the turn. If they're want to try make my drive difficult, I'll make their drive difficult.

And you should've been in the left hand lane unless you were overtaking others. Undertaking is only permitted in congested conditions or when a car is turning right.

Yeah in my experience, most of the drivers that piss me off are those of Audi cars.

They think they are above everyone, its like their car is the best.

In my opinion, Toyota, Ford and yes - Vauxhall are very good cars. I drove my mum's Vauxhall Corsa, and I must admit it is quite good. I think these three cars, especially Toyota is underrated in this country. I actually think these three cars are better than Audi's.
Original post by clubber
Yes I'm driving in the UK.

You clearly don't know much about the UK roads. On a main road where there are two lanes, there is no such thing as an 'overtaking' lane. You may be getting confused between a motorway and a main road. On a motorway there is an acceleration lane or in your case an 'overtaking lane' which is the right lane.

I was in the right lane, as I had to turn right into a side road.

As for undertaking, she wanted to do because I was going too slow apparently, despite the 40 mph speed limit and the number of GATSO cameras down that stretch of road. Boy racers used to use that stretch of the road in the past, that the police and council decided to install GATSO cameras, and even hidden cameras - according to a friend of mine who got charged for going 6 mph over the speed limit.

I've got a clean license and if I get 6 points then my license will be revoked and I have to start again. I'm on a probation period for another year, and I can't afford to lose points

Riiiight, you should have made it clearer that you wanted to turn right. No need to respond with attitude - "you clearly don't know much about the UK roads".

You're really going to get into those kind of technicalities? Don't be so pedantic, if people want to overtake, they move over to the right line (in a dual carriageway/motorway). There's genuinely no need to go on the defensive and pick up on such a harmless comment.

I know you said that you started off on a main road but I wasn't sure if you were still on it when you started talking about 2 lanes since you didn't tell us that you were turning right.

And to be quite honest, I'm on your side with this one, she was being an impatient nuisance, so be a little bit more compassionate and don't assume that my knowledge of UK roads is any less than yours.

Back on topic; I find that Audi drivers are the least annoying of the big 3 Germans. The ranking is probably something like BMW > Mercedes-Benz > Audi. I'm just going off what I've experienced on the roads. Oh and I'm a BMW driver but even I can admit that some of us are absolutely bonkers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by live_a_life

Back on topic; I find that Audi drivers are the least annoying of the big 3 Germans. The ranking is probably something like BMW > Mercedes-Benz > Audi. I'm just going off what I've experienced on the roads. Oh and I'm a BMW driver but even I can admit that some of us are absolutely bonkers!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the fact that Audi are more common than the other two put together doesn't help their reputation.
Reply 11
You say you were in the right hand lane to turn right into a side road. But you still had time to eventually move to the left to let her past before you turned right. If there was space for her to undertake you earlier on, there was space for you to move over earlier on and let her past. Yes the Audi was too close/impatient, but just because its a 40 limit doesn't give you the right to sit in the right hand lane. Just let the faster cars go past and risk their licence instead of sitting there yourself and getting worked up when they tailgate you.

As I stated in the autobarn thread. UK drivers have no concept of lane discipline.
From my person experience it's most likely to be Volkswagen drivers.
Original post by clubber
Hi,

So having driven a manual transmission Toyota for about a year, I have found that the most common and annoying drivers are those of an Audi.

The day I started learning how to drive, I had an Audi driver continuously beep at me. Sure, I'm a learner and yes I will stall my engine a lot, but how comes the majority of drivers are able to accept that?

Another instance of an Audi giving me grief was when I was at a busy roundabout. I have to give priority to drivers on my right and so I took my time getting onto the roundabout. I mean after all, I pay more than £1K for my insurance and so I have to drive extra carefully. Despite this, the Audi driver kept blasting his horn. It annoyed me greatly but I chose to ignore it.

I don't know if its me, but I also find the majority of Audi drivers to be very arrogant, selfish and so full of themselves. To me, the way a person drives and the vehicle they drive tells me a lot, and unfortunately I have found that Audi drivers are the worst.

Please note, I am not against all Audi drivers, and I don't mean to offend anyone. I am just interested in your thoughts and opinions

Ive noticed it seems to be bmw drivers that are the worst.
The audi drivers ive seen arent that bad. But that could be just me.
People tailgate all the time in my area. I don't really care if people tailgate me, if I hit the brakes (due to normal driving, not intentionally causing an accident) and they crash into me they're at fault anyway.
Worst drivers? VW Passat drivers :smile:
What is it with these BMW and Audi drivers? :confused: Are their cars just overpowered or something? Nine times out of ten, when someone is hassling you up close and personal from behind, it's one of those.
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
People tailgate all the time in my area. I don't really care if people tailgate me, if I hit the brakes (due to normal driving, not intentionally causing an accident) and they crash into me they're at fault anyway.

I know you don't mean you would behave stupidly, but in reality there is serious danger in those situations for both drivers. Rear end shunts at speed can give you injuries, even though you were in front. In addition, there is the risk it will force your car into oncoming traffic, which is why you should never angle your nose when turning right into oncoming. Keep parallel to the oncoming traffic.
I just love tailgaters. There is nothing like a good rear ender to boost your bank balance. Do you know, the last rear ender that happened to me was only fairly minor but it netted me £6k. Nice work if you know how to litigate.

So yes, bring it on.

I drive all day at work and i just love to stick to the speed limit. I can spot a frustrated driver at a thousand paces and i hunt them and frustrate them even more. Its the little pleasure like this that make my day more pleasurable.
Original post by clubber
Hi,

There are a few things you can do when people tailgate:

1. If you are in the left lane and they tailgate even though there is a right lane, you can wind your window down and use your arm to signal to them to overtake you. This is a nice way of frustrating them because these aggressive types don't like being told what to do.

2. If you are in the right lane, I suggest you move into the left lane and then when they pass, move back into the right lane straight away and now tailgate them and pressure them into getting caught by the speed cameras :wink: I use this strategy alot and I find that most tailgators don't like speeding themselves, they just don't like being behind another car. So by tailgating the tailgater, they are forced to speed into the speed traps or realize how foolish they were for being on your tail.

3. Another strategy is to turn on your headlights. The car behind initially thinks it is your break-lights that have come on and they slow down.

4. When an expensive car is tailgating, when coming to intersections you can break very suddenly, this can scare the person behind into thinking you are an erratic breaker and they will worry about crashing into you. Be careful who you apply this strategy to however, as it can potentially result in a road rage incident.

Latest