The Student Room Group

I'm quite stuck on what my fourth subject should be, and what to drop at A2?

Initially, my chosen A-levels were Maths, Further Maths, Economics and English Literature. But I realised potentially how hard Further Maths could be, and if I was able to cope with it. So I then want to change Further Maths to either Psychology or Law - but which one?
I was considering History, but I'm already going to pick two essay-based subjects (Economics and English Literature, which would only add more stress. I changed from Further Maths to Psychology/Law because it would give me a varied career pathway into the Business/Finance industry or Law - Possible Journalism. But I'm just stuck on whether which one I should chose, and which one universities would look favourably upon.

Thanks!
What are you actually planning to study at University? This is quite important for answering the question! If you're planning to do a Law or Journalism degree, then I would suggest History. Yes, it would add more stress but plenty of people taking multiple essay subjects and History is very well respected and has a lot of transferable skills. Psychology and particularly Law are not as well regarded at A Level. If you're intending to go into Finance, I would strongly consider sticking with Further Maths. If the Maths burden is too much for you at this level, you need to seriously consider if Finance is the right path for you. You could always take 5 AS Levels including Further Maths and drop it if it gets too hard, although this is an even bigger potential burden so this may not be the best route for you.

You've got a year to decide which subject to drop at A2, so don't worry about that yet.
Reply 2
Your 'main' subjects being maths English and econ are fine enough to get into law / business / and majority finance courses as it is

Not sure about Law, but psychology has a few 'mini' essays for AS but mainly short answers. It's a time consuming subject (I did near enough the same subjects as you) and psychology took the most of my time. That being said it's probably the easiest subject in terms of what it can ask you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
What are you actually planning to study at University? This is quite important for answering the question! If you're planning to do a Law or Journalism degree, then I would suggest History. Yes, it would add more stress but plenty of people taking multiple essay subjects and History is very well respected and has a lot of transferable skills. Psychology and particularly Law are not as well regarded at A Level. If you're intending to go into Finance, I would strongly consider sticking with Further Maths. If the Maths burden is too much for you at this level, you need to seriously consider if Finance is the right path for you. You could always take 5 AS Levels including Further Maths and drop it if it gets too hard, although this is an even bigger potential burden so this may not be the best route for you.

You've got a year to decide which subject to drop at A2, so don't worry about that yet.

Like I said before, I'm not quite sure whether to take Further Maths, as I know how hard it is. I'm currently achieving A's in Maths and the rest of my subjects so they're not a bother. But what is, is the fact whether I'll be able to cope with Further Maths.
I'm completely open-minded about possible career routes so it doesn't bother me. From the information I've read from previous threads. Law isn't considered a 'facilitating subject' (according to the Russell Group Uni's) and choosing Law would put me at a disadvantage I guess.

Yeah, I'd probably drop the subject I do least well in to be quite honest.

Cheers!
Reply 4
Original post by Jkizer
Your 'main' subjects being maths English and econ are fine enough to get into law / business / and majority finance courses as it is

Not sure about Law, but psychology has a few 'mini' essays for AS but mainly short answers. It's a time consuming subject (I did near enough the same subjects as you) and psychology took the most of my time. That being said it's probably the easiest subject in terms of what it can ask you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's what I thought. But I'm not entirely sure on what to take for a fourth subject. It's out of either History/Psychology/Law in which I could drop for A2, and continue the remaining subjects (Maths, Economics and English Literature). Did you take Philosophy? What should I take as a fourth subject, which I can then drop please?

Thanks
Original post by MoniC255
Like I said before, I'm not quite sure whether to take Further Maths, as I know how hard it is. I'm currently achieving A's in Maths and the rest of my subjects so they're not a bother. But what is, is the fact whether I'll be able to cope with Further Maths.
I'm completely open-minded about possible career routes so it doesn't bother me. From the information I've read from previous threads. Law isn't considered a 'facilitating subject' (according to the Russell Group Uni's) and choosing Law would put me at a disadvantage I guess.

Yeah, I'd probably drop the subject I do least well in to be quite honest.

Cheers!

Being "completely open-minded" about your future isn't the best position to be in when you're choosing your A Level subjects. You really need to have an idea of what area you're going to do your degree in - choosing subjects for the sake of keeping your options open because you're indecisive is not a good idea. Another thing worth mentioning is that Further Maths isn't much more difficult than Maths - it's just more Maths. If you can do well at Maths, you'll do well at Further Maths. As long as you enjoy Maths.
Reply 6
Original post by Chlorophile
Being "completely open-minded" about your future isn't the best position to be in when you're choosing your A Level subjects. You really need to have an idea of what area you're going to do your degree in - choosing subjects for the sake of keeping your options open because you're indecisive is not a good idea. Another thing worth mentioning is that Further Maths isn't much more difficult than Maths - it's just more Maths. If you can do well at Maths, you'll do well at Further Maths. As long as you enjoy Maths.

I suppose it is to some extent. For arguments sake, I don't achieve the required grades for Maths, but I achieve an A/A* in History. I'd obviously go down the History route since I done best in that. So if I picked contrasting subjects (up to a certain extent), my career choices are varied.

Quick Reply

Latest