The Student Room Group

Introduction and inspiration for Neuroscience

Hi, I have just completed my first year of A-levels with these subjects; Chemistry, Biology, Maths and History. I initially wanted to apply for medicine in university but due to the extreme competition I've opted for another course.

Neuroscience is of particular interest to me but I would like to know more about the subject so does anyone have any books or resources that I would find useful as an intro to the course or for more inspiration?? I've heard about some 'UCL books for inspiration' but those seem really outdated so anything more recent would be good...

Also , if anyone has received a conditional offer to neuroscience , BSc or MSc, what grades are required... I know the typical offer is AAB but I would like to know if anyone has been offered ABB, and at which university this was... Thanks
Reply 1
There's a book called "Buyology" about neuroscience and consumer behaviour - monetizing your science - a convenient inspiration for when you're fed up getting the begging bowl out to the university for time and money and bigging up all your failed experiments.
For the degree you will be wanting something like BBB. You can either do a neuroscience degree, or psychology (assuming you mean cognitive neuroscience). For the MSc you will need at least a 2.2, but the higher the more preferable and better are your chances - particularly for prestigious institutions if you have set your eyes on one that you like. I personally stayed in my home city.

If you're interested YouTube 'Neuroscience'. I remember institutions like Berkeley doing good videos, amongst others, which are v informative and interesting. Otherwise, the neuroscience books are very very expensive (mine was £50, I think). The books are available on Amazon... and there are quite a few different ones I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending