The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Living out of halls in first year - what are good areas to live in?

Hi, I'm going to Manchester uni this September, and still have to find myself a flat. I'm living out of halls as I'm going to be living with my boyfriend. I'm hoping some of you may have advice for good areas to look in? I've been looking at flats mainly close to the uni in Hulme, stretford road... was considering Fallowfield as well but I'd rather be a bit closer.
I'd say no to Hulme, Very rough! Fallow field is good, but you'll most likely find you'll have to share with 5 or so others and it is where all the students go to house parties (like every night!). If I were you, i'd look in the centre (M1 postcode) or salford quays as the quays have nice flats and have a tram stop right outside some flats which is only a 15 minutes journey by tram to piccadilly gardens. :smile: x
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by EmmaHalley
I'd say no to Hulme, Very rough! Fallow field is good, but you'll most likely find you'll have to share with 5 or so others and it is where all the students go to house parties (like every night!). If I were you, i'd look in the centre (M1 postcode) or salford quays as the quays have nice flats and have a tram stop right outside some flats which is only a 15 minutes journey by tram to piccadilly gardens. :smile: x

Okay I'll rule out Hulme, thank you! What do you think of one on stretford road?

I've looked at Salford Quays but so far they're all pretty expensive, lovely looking though.
Thats not too bad. My ex lived there and was okay with it however I wouldn't choose to live there. It's not too rough or anything but its not exactly giving off 'safe' vibes if you get me. Try Deansgate? Not exactly amazing but is close to a tram stop, close to the clubs and cinema and you can get some affordable flats there. I only lived in manchester for two years and even then it was right in the centre so I'm not the best for places further out but I know which places to stay clear of from what I've heard. :smile: I'd say;

-Deansgate
-Salford Quays
-Piccadilly

Some can be very expensive in those places but if you're lucky you'll find a bargain one here and there :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by EmmaHalley
Thats not too bad. My ex lived there and was okay with it however I wouldn't choose to live there. It's not too rough or anything but its not exactly giving off 'safe' vibes if you get me. Try Deansgate? Not exactly amazing but is close to a tram stop, close to the clubs and cinema and you can get some affordable flats there. I only lived in manchester for two years and even then it was right in the centre so I'm not the best for places further out but I know which places to stay clear of from what I've heard. :smile: I'd say;

-Deansgate
-Salford Quays
-Piccadilly

Some can be very expensive in those places but if you're lucky you'll find a bargain one here and there :smile:

I've actually found some okay-priced ones in Salford Quays! around £145-160 pw, but I'm only paying half of that.

Will look at Deansgate and Piccadilly, thank you :smile:

Would you say the tram stop in piccadilly is within walking distance of the uni area? Or is it a bus ride away? (I've gotten the bus from piccadilly gardens to oxford road before but can't remember how far away it was)
I'm going to Manchester for uni but I'm living in Salford (near ish to the Quays but far enough away to avoid paying Quays prices)

I'd recommend living in a similar area because there's a bus straight from Salford Quays to near the Uni (need to check the route but it's definitely walking distance to the uni)
Most students live along the Oxford / Wilmslow Road corridor, in areas like Fallowfield, Rusholme and Withington. I've lived in both of the first two areas I've listed, and they were absolutely fine. Others live in areas like Longsight, Levenshulme and Didsbury.

I'd caution against living in Salford Quays - it'd be a pain to get to, and you'd be nowhere near your new friends.

There's a useful map of places that students (well, freshers) tend to frequent here https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=211506846237564271066.0004d4f6dcbcfcc178f8d&msa=0&ll=53.44142,-2.217522&spn=0.0034,0.009162

One thing to consider is if moving straight in with your bf is the best idea. Few relationships survive the move to uni - everything in your life (and therefore everything that acted as a support to your relationship) changes - where you're living, who you're living with, occupation, job, schedule, membership of any social / sporting organisations and so on. I know only one couple whose relationship survived the move to uni, and they're still together now they've graduated, but the rest all foundered at some point (including one couple who broke up within a week of starting at the same uni...). It should be noted that if you were to break up and were renting a flat together, it would be very difficult to move out before your tenancy is up at the end of the academic year.

So, it may be better to consider living separately in first year, and just seeing quite a lot of each other but also making sure that you expand your social circle beyond each other. If you're still together come second year, that's a good time to move in together (FWIW, the couple I know who are still together didn't live together in first year either).
Reply 7
Original post by Origami Bullets
Most students live along the Oxford / Wilmslow Road corridor, in areas like Fallowfield, Rusholme and Withington. I've lived in both of the first two areas I've listed, and they were absolutely fine. Others live in areas like Longsight, Levenshulme and Didsbury.

I'd caution against living in Salford Quays - it'd be a pain to get to, and you'd be nowhere near your new friends.

There's a useful map of places that students (well, freshers) tend to frequent here https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=211506846237564271066.0004d4f6dcbcfcc178f8d&msa=0&ll=53.44142,-2.217522&spn=0.0034,0.009162

One thing to consider is if moving straight in with your bf is the best idea. Few relationships survive the move to uni - everything in your life (and therefore everything that acted as a support to your relationship) changes - where you're living, who you're living with, occupation, job, schedule, membership of any social / sporting organisations and so on. I know only one couple whose relationship survived the move to uni, and they're still together now they've graduated, but the rest all foundered at some point (including one couple who broke up within a week of starting at the same uni...). It should be noted that if you were to break up and were renting a flat together, it would be very difficult to move out before your tenancy is up at the end of the academic year.

So, it may be better to consider living separately in first year, and just seeing quite a lot of each other but also making sure that you expand your social circle beyond each other. If you're still together come second year, that's a good time to move in together (FWIW, the couple I know who are still together didn't live together in first year either).

That's a good point about Salford Quays, though it looks like a nice place to live.

We're a bit different - we'll both be 21 when uni starts and have been together for over a year, and have spent pretty much all of our free time together. I think I would miss him too much if we were living in different places. He goes to Salford uni though so I've been worried about the commute for him (he's said he'd rather live closer to my university than his)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending