The Student Room Group

should u text people on +44 or their number

i was wondering this as alot of my contact seem to start with +44, ive got a new phone and start texting somene on their proper number and wondering if theyll get it?
Reply 1
Original post by Pip123321
i was wondering this as alot of my contact seem to start with +44, ive got a new phone and start texting somene on their proper number and wondering if theyll get it?

+44 basically means 0
It's the country code for the UK as far as I know. Just a quick example
+447123456789 is the same as
Hope that's all cleared up for you.
+44 means the first 0

so basically 07554433221 is the same as +447554433221

(almost wrote my real number here :lol:)

It is the area code for the UK so in the UK you can use both, but calling from outside the UK you'd have to use +44
Always wondered this lol
Reply 4
but how come my text messages seem to be +44, even though wer all from uk. im texting someone on their normal number but unsure if they are recieving
Reply 5
Don't worry your messages are being sent. If you don't want them to cone through as +44 add them to your contacts and change the +44 to 0
Original post by Pip123321
but how come my text messages seem to be +44, even though wer all from uk. im texting someone on their normal number but unsure if they are recieving

I tend to find that if I've typed a number into my contacts, it starts with '07', but if I've saved it from a text or phone call, it starts with '+44'. It really doesn't make a difference. People will still receive your texts.
For example, if you saved a number from Spain in your phone from a text or phone call, it would probably start with a different code instead of the 0. Because it only replaces the 0, it really doesn't matter.
You could go through your contacts and replace all the '+44''s with '0' if you want to, being careful not to delete any other parts of the number. I do this, but it's just because I'm a neat freak with some things.

Edit: If you're unsure on whether you've deleted any numbers by accident, count the digits and you should have eleven in total. (Including the first '0' and ten digits minus the '+44').
(edited 9 years ago)
+44 means england basicly. You can use either. Some websites that you give your number to will only accept 07. If you wanted spain you would do 00 (to leave the country) then 34 then the number so 0034776651 etc and different numbers for different countries
Reply 8
No difference really.

+44 Int
07 UK (internal)

Quick Reply

Latest