The Student Room Group

Clearing advice?

Firstly I wasn't sure which section to put this thread in so hopefully I've put it in the correct place *crosses fingers*

Basically I want to study geology at Uni and I am really uncertain about what results I've got, as I've worked out my grades could be anywhere from A*AB-BBC which is obviously a big range of results XD. Now usually I am pretty good at guessing how I've done in exams but this year I genuinely have no idea which is freaking me out because it makes me think that I've achieved closer to the lower end. I need to achieve AAB for my firm (Exeter) and ABB (Southampton) for my insurance and as they are both Russel Group unis I know that in reality they're unlikely to accept me if I miss a grade :/ so thats why I want to be as prepared for clearing as I can be because it does seem like it could be a real possibility.

I've read the articles and have taken the advice on researching a range of unis, some lower ranked ones too and have collected their contact numbers.

However I was thinking if I could find out which unis had places in Extra that may be a good way to indicate ones which have a good chance of being in clearing.

So basically after all this rambling I'm asking is there any good way of estimating which universities have a good chance of being in clearing or is it simply a matter of mainly waiting for results day and see what happens, unfortunately I fear it may be the latter XD

Any other advice on how to be best prepared for clearing would also be greatly appreciated.

Reply 1
Since August has finally arrived :frown: I really want to start preparing for clearing. I'm predicted to achieve AAB/ABB, but some exams didn't go so well so I'm scared I'm going to end up with BBC.

What are the chances of me getting into a decentish university with BBC? Now I know this will put pretty much all Russel group unis out of my reach but what about universities like Leicester or Royal Holloway?

I am looking to study geology which I know is a pretty niche course if that helps?

Reply 2
I'm expecting grades ranging anywhere from A*AB-BBC with offers of AAB/ABB, does anybody know universities which are likely to be in clearing for these subjects, or anywhere where I can find a thorough list of the unis and subjects that were in clearing for 2013, because I haven't found a list yet :/

Reply 3
Original post by Zozzy
I'm expecting grades ranging anywhere from A*AB-BBC with offers of AAB/ABB, does anybody know universities which are likely to be in clearing for these subjects, or anywhere where I can find a thorough list of the unis and subjects that were in clearing for 2013, because I haven't found a list yet :/

Hey :wavey:

It's nice to see someone interested in studying Earth Sciences.

With regards to Clearing 2013, you may want to post in this thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2735139&highlight=clearing

I should point out though that what ends up in Clearing varies between years and just because something came up last year doesn't mean it will be available again this year.
Reply 4
hey sorry to bother you but do they have different numbers for clearing or is it just the generic contact number?????
Original post by stephb4
hey sorry to bother you but do they have different numbers for clearing or is it just the generic contact number?????

Buy the telegraph on results morning - it will have all the phone numbers and web addresses in it (and if you don't need it because things go well you can pass it on to someone from your school/college who does need it and get some lovely karma)
Reply 6
when do unis get our results?
Original post by vixy992

The friday night/saturday night before results day
Original post by vixy992
The weekend before results day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending